Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Best conference. (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=8854)

Marc 12-13-2003 03:42 PM

C'mon, Jefe, give the SEC more credit than that. The SEC has five teams in the top-25 whereas the Pac-10 has two. LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, and Mississippi are all good teams, and other teams like Arkansas and Aurburn have been in the rankings this year.

El Jefe 12-15-2003 08:02 PM

^^^Just because they are ranked doesn't mean they're a whole lot better than the conferences I mentioned above. For this year, I'd probably rank the SEC higher, but from a year-to-year basis, that's what I look at.

I just look at the SEC's non-conference schedule. Outside of UT and UF, you must admit it's a bit weak. When your league champion is playing cupcakes outside the league, what does that say about the league?

I would say I do rank the Pac-10 higher than most....if just for some kind of shock value. On a yearly basis I'd have to say I don't think the Pac-10 gets nearly as much love in the rankings than other major conferences, and they certainly don't start the season that way. Usually it's an upset in the non-conference schedule that bolts a couple Pac-10 teams up, and then losses in the league that pushes them down. It just reflects the balance in the league.

Here...for 2003:

Big 10
SEC
Pac-10
Big 12
Big East
ACC

sushi 01-06-2004 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aristides
Just because the PAC 10 has one great team doesn't mean you can throw a entire conference over another. WSU has done nothing at all to impress me and as for the rest of the PAC, well...........
WSU doesn't impress you? I'm guessing you didn't watch the holiday bowl.

MountaineerDave 01-06-2004 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sushi
WSU doesn't impress you? I'm guessing you didn't watch the holiday bowl.
Or the Rose Bowl. Or the Insight Bowl. Or two other bowls that Pac 10 teams won. And don't forget the Sun Bowl, where inept defense allowed Minnesota back into a game they generally shouldn't have won...

Washington State is a rare school who I think improved when their coach went off for more naked pastures. They played tougher, meaner football than any Price-led team I've ever seen. Still, didn't get by the Huskies, so that problem still exists in Pullman.

Dave

sushi 01-07-2004 02:39 AM

They were expected to be last in the pac-10 with the loss of their head coach, marcus trufant, and QB. Instead they came close to winning the pac-10 title (if only they could beat the huskies).

buckeyefan78 01-07-2004 08:14 PM

sushi...

Washington State beating Texas means nothing. Two cowards playing each other isn't something to boast about really. Didn't these two lay down for USC and Oklahoma, the Sooners, who themselves shouldn't look in the mirror til August?

The SEC had a good bowl run, I'll give them that ( worms around in his chair).

Look at my Big Ten...

NW loses to BGSU by 4. Kind of tough loss for us. Still, the MAC gets no credit, so I don't think it's THAT bad.

Michigan loses to USC. Another tough one. I had UM dominating in my pick.

Purdue fights down to the wire with Georgia. Could have gone either way.

Iowa beats Florida, not even close.

MSU loses to Nebraska, and gets dominated. Tough one there. Credit Pellini, hopefully OSU's 2004 D coordinator ( something to hang your hat on).

Ohio State beats K State. I know, Roberson was entrapped !!! Never an ounce of credit for my Buckeyes. I'm used to it.

Minnesota in a wild one over Oregon. Good game, not much else to say but a win for us.

Wisconsin gets beat by Auburn. Alvarez's bowl record is like 7-1 going into the game, and he loses. These guys are determined to beat OSU every year ( or atleast stir the pot) and then look terrible the rest of the year just to spite me I think.

KevinBeane 01-07-2004 08:18 PM

Ah, welcome back 78!

For the record, I think WSU's win over Texas mean more than nothing.

Classof11buckI 01-07-2004 09:48 PM

I don't care about the rest as long as OSU won. Ohio State dominated that game in every aspect, if you seen it we had K-State rocked. Tressel likes to sit on the football. We could have scored atleast 2 more times.

Gohawks 01-25-2004 02:16 PM

osu k-state game,Best Conference

It was a good game,but the officals cheated K-State out of valuable time at the end of the game.But anyway good win for the Buckeyes and it wasnt because of the charges against Roberson. As far as the best conference its the BIG TEN.I mean look at the top three finishers.Four teams going to Janurary bowl games.

1.Michigan
2.Ohio State
t.3.Purdue
t.3.Iowa

Bucknut 02-01-2004 01:55 PM

The Big Ten....as usual.

Three Big Ten teams finished in the top ten....no other conference can say that.

1. Big Ten
2. SEC
3. ACC
4. Big XII
5. Big East

El Jefe 02-12-2004 04:10 AM

*sigh* the lack of respect for the Pac-10 continues...:rolleyes:

Bucknut 02-15-2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by El Jefe
*sigh* the lack of respect for the Pac-10 continues...:rolleyes:
That was unintentional that I left them out....I'm a believer when it comes to the PAC-10, they are easily the most underrated/overlooked conference in the nation....and it's that way almost every year for them.

I'd place them right after the SEC.

El Jefe 02-17-2004 07:29 PM

Well ok Bucknut. Thanks for the correction. Big 10 and Pac 10 backers should always support each other. :D

Hawkeye crazy 02-18-2004 08:17 PM

I would never support the scums in the Pac-10 like USC.But otherwise the PAC-10 is ok.

douggiefresh 03-06-2004 08:37 PM

FOR THE RECORD THE SEC WILL ALWAYS BE THE STRONGEST CONFERENCE... TENN, FL(EWW), UGA(SICK), KY(YEAH RIGHT), BAMA(JOKE,JOKE), WELL, AT LEAST THERES LSU AND GOOD OL' ROCKYTOP