Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Pre Draft Rumblings (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=19665)

themush 04-17-2008 04:16 PM

Pre Draft Rumblings

Bucs and Vikes are interested in Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen.

It's reported they want a 1st and a 2nd round pick for him. If the Bucs can work a 1st and 3rd or 4th instead of the 2nd I think it would be a good deal for us.

doublee 04-17-2008 04:29 PM

There has also been some talk that if Parcells cannot get a guy locked up prior to the draft that the 'Phins will let their time on the clock expire in an effort to move a couple of spots down and not have to pay as much bonus money to their top pick.

themush 04-17-2008 04:31 PM

I may be wrong but, wouldn't they fall all the way to the last pick???

doublee 04-17-2008 05:16 PM

No, you don't remember a couple of years ago when the Vikings could not make up their mind who they wanted and time expired on them?

The way it works is if the Dolphins fail to make a selection after 15 minutes the Rams are on the clock and are free to make their selection. However, the Dolphins are free to pick at any time they want to. So, they can sit there and let the Rams pick someone and then immediately take their selection card up to the commissioner right after the Rams selection is announced if the choose to do so. Or, they can wait around for a couple of picks and then hand one in.

themush 04-17-2008 05:18 PM

Don't remember that at all??? Prolly had to do with :cheers:. Thanks for the insight.

Anthony 04-18-2008 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 277628)
There has also been some talk that if Parcells cannot get a guy locked up prior to the draft that the 'Phins will let their time on the clock expire in an effort to move a couple of spots down and not have to pay as much bonus money to their top pick.

Please ... don't give Jeffrey Lurie and Joe Banner any ideas. :lol:

doublee 04-18-2008 09:36 AM

No, the Eagles wouldn't do that they would just trade down like they did last year and acquire more picks.

GilbertArenas 04-18-2008 11:45 AM

Just wanted to give a heads up that ESPN's Todd McShay is going to be in studio on The Colin Cowherd show

He'll probably have some good insight for the upcoming draft. I like the reporting he's done so far as a college analyst/scout for ESPN.

doublee 04-18-2008 01:07 PM

The asking price on Allen is believed to be two #1s right now. From ESPN's Rumor Page:

Quote:

According to a source, Allen is in the process of scheduling trips to Minnesota and Tampa Bay. An unsigned franchise player, the defensive end has the freedom to meet and talk to teams, but he doesn't have any assurance the Chiefs would consider trading him. The current price tag for a team wanting to sign him is two No. 1 picks, which is a price most teams aren't willing to consider.

Negotiations between the Chiefs and Allen are at the very beginning stage and no deal is close. The Chiefs confirmed Thursday that they are talking to a "few teams" about a possible trade for Allen.

deavobadger 04-18-2008 03:14 PM

I think that the two number ones is what a team would have to give to sign him as a franchise player, which probably won't happen, and almost never does. I think that the asking price in a trade would be significantly less.

Anthony 04-19-2008 03:25 AM

For any team out there who is seriously considering pursuing this, I have two words of caution:

Sean Gilbert.

Dublin Mike 04-20-2008 10:46 PM

Can't believe you don't remember the situation w/the Vikings mush. I think it happened 2 years in a row.

I think if Long and Dorsey are gone by the time the Falcons pick, then they will take Matt Ryan. I myself am torn as to what they should do. They could probably trade down to someone looking to move up and get McFadden (*ahem* Dallas,) gathering more picks to build both sides of the line.

But at the same time, they desperately need a QB. Chris Redman is projected to be the starter for the opening game. Let me repeat that. Chris Redman is projected to be the starter. What. The. ****?

doublee 04-21-2008 10:25 AM

The Falcons have so many holes to fill at this time they really cannot go wrong with any of the 3 or 4 guys being mentioned at the top.

Dublin Mike 04-21-2008 09:28 PM

I agree completely doublee. Every position has a hole, except maybe RB.

Abramoff admitted today that he has had offers for the #3 pick. I'm sure since McNair retired, Baltimore is wanting to move up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=3357381

doublee 04-21-2008 10:39 PM

I don't know though. Unless Ryan goes in the top 3 I don't know that anyone from 4 to 7 is that interested in him.

-Oakland just picked Russell last year.
-Herm Edwards still thinks Croyle is his QB of the future and is likely inclined to give him the reins this year to see what he is made of and o-line is a bigger need right now.
-The Jets are probably going to see what Clemens can give them as the starter and they have other needs that need to be filled.
-The Pats have Brady.