Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Super Bowl XL: Steelers vs. Seahawks (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=13352)

jhuerbin88 01-27-2006 10:17 AM

I don't know if I'm supposed to take SehawkKnDC - if that is your real name - serious or not.

Roethlisberger's second-year tendancies, you say? Hmmm...He looked pretty good to me against the Bengels on the road...and the Colts on the road...and the Broncos on the road. I didn't see any second year jinx, did you?

And the Steelers running game is overrated? Haha, how so? Nearly 2,000 yards and 10 TDs is a solid running game. Also, its not about the yards and TDs sometimes, it's about how and when you use the running game. The Steelers take the early lead and eat the clock up. Did you miss the Broncos game? After halftime, they practically ate the whole 2nd half clock up with non-stop runs, just pouding the ball away - with Bettis, who gets 3-4 yards a carry and that's all you need (3 yards and 40 seconds off the clock). And the speed of Willie Parker...come on, once he turns that corner and sees the open field, he's gone - there is nobody and I mean nobody in the league - especially a CB or safety - that's going to catch him. And it's that duo of speed and power that kills and confuses defenses.

And as for the Seahawks offensive line overpowering the defensive line of the Steelers, well, that's just silly. The Steelers allowed only one 100-yard rusher all season. And think of all the RB's they faced. Shaun will get his yards, but not 100, and especially not in the first half. Haha!

boston_aloha 01-27-2006 06:22 PM

That was E. James. 29 carries for 124 yards, no TD's. Pitt's "D" held L. Tomlinson to 18 carries 62 yards and 1 TD... not bad. Alexander will get his yards, but that 100 yards 1st half BS is just stupid. Are you claiming he'll get this by breaking one open, or just pounding all the 1st half?

Marc 01-29-2006 09:40 PM

Anybody catch the fact that the Steelers are wearing their white away uniforms for the game? It goes against their tradition of black and gold.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

NY Jay 05 01-29-2006 09:47 PM

^ I think they're doing that because they have won on the road all throughout the playoffs and they wanna do it one more time.

doublee 01-29-2006 11:43 PM

Yeah, that is why they are doing it. Everyone knows you don't buck a trend when on a winning streak in pro sports.

MountaineerDave 01-30-2006 01:11 AM

Right on, doublee. I'll be wearing my five year old Steelers long sleeve T under my Christmas gift black Roethlisberger jersey, jeans and the same Steelers socks I wore for the Steelers' easiest postseason games (Bengals, Broncos).

Also, even though I'd likely be home in time, I'm skipping my little girl's swimming lessons, because there's some chance I'd miss the opening kickoff. And, the terrible towel stays in the closet. Annoying, but the damn thing's cursed.

190 Octane 01-30-2006 05:45 PM

I can't stand the Steelers, but I'm taking them to win. They look like one of those undeniable teams of destiny. Reminds me of Denver in 1997 or New England in 2001.

The big variable in this one, though, is those other two teams beat favored juggernauts. The Packers were the defending champions and St. Louis was the best offensive team maybe ever, and IMO better than the 1999 team that won the Super Bowl.

themush 01-30-2006 06:24 PM

How about Texas A&M getting thier panties in a wad over the Hawks using the "12th Man" theme?

190 Octane 01-30-2006 06:56 PM

Ridiculous. The phrase, or something similar, is used in sports nationwide. Had Seattle not made the Super Bowl, there'd be no lawsuit. Haven't the Seahawks been flying that flag all season? But no suit 'til now.

themush 01-30-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 190 Octane
Ridiculous. The phrase, or something similar, is used in sports nationwide. Had Seattle not made the Super Bowl, there'd be no lawsuit. Haven't the Seahawks been flying that flag all season? But no suit 'til now.

Exactly the Hawks have actually been using the phrase since retirering the #12 in 1984. Now the Longhorns have a problem with it?

Titans100 01-30-2006 07:31 PM

I can't stand the Steelers - 190 Octane

Is that why you can't stand them? b/c they are a team of destiny? I mean the only thing annoying about a team like that is that I (and so many others are) am sooooo tired about hearing about Jerome Bettis and how he is finally going home.

Does anyone else realize that Kimo vonOelhoffen has been in the league 12 years and never been to one? Or how about Larry Foote? He is from Detroit and never been to a SB.

It's not like they win the SB every other year. The last time they went was in 1996 when they played the Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

doublee 01-30-2006 07:46 PM

Well, if A&M holds a copyright to the term '12th man' then they have a case. If I am not mistaken Pat Riley holds the copyright to 'Three-peat' so anyone who wants to produce merchandise with that phrase has to pay Riley a royalty fee.

NY Jay 05 01-30-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 190 Octane
I can't stand the Steelers, but I'm taking them to win. They look like one of those undeniable teams of destiny. Reminds me of Denver in 1997 or New England in 2001.

Is that why you can't stand them? b/c they are a team of destiny? I mean the only thing annoying about a team like that is that I (and so many others are) am sooooo tired about hearing about Jerome Bettis and how he is finally going home.

Does anyone else realize that Kimo vonOelhoffen has been in the league 12 years and never been to one? Or how about Larry Foote? He is from Detroit and never been to a SB.

It's not like they win the SB every other year. The last time they went was in 1996 when they played the Cowboys.

Except Jerome Bettis is more of a symbol of the Steelers than Von Oelhoffen and Foote. Those two wouldn't make a popular story line about returing to Detroit, as Bettis does.

190 Octane 01-30-2006 10:19 PM

This season isn't why I dislike the Steelers. I've never liked the Steelers. Doesn't mean I can't see that they're a damn good team, and playing like a Super Bowl champion.

Anthony 02-01-2006 06:18 AM

Anthony's Super Bowl Pick

Yes - I know I've been conspicuous by my absence on this thread. It's time to change that:

Pittsburgh 24, Seattle 13 (+3) - Bill Cowher's decision to have the Steelers wear their white jerseys is rather curious; I wonder if he knew that the teams wearing white were 23-16 both ways in the first 39 Super Bowls? (The total includes a 3-3 spread record in the six Super Bowls, and both of the last two by the way, in which the favorite won but didn't cover).

But the biggest edge the Steelers may enjoy is that their running game is more diverse than Seattle's, been as it is equally adept at running inside (with Jerome Bettis) or outside (with Willie Parker), while the Seahawks, with the smallish Shaun Alexander as their undisputed feature back, are basically an outside-running team - and that's not good given the fact that Pittsburgh's defense is a 3-4.

Another issue to consider here is the dreaded Super Bowl Runner-Up Jinx: Clearly it would be more realistic for the Seahawks to finish with a losing record next year (as have the last five Super Bowl losers and six of the last seven) than for the Steelers to do so - for all that would be necessary to make said outcome plausible is either Alexander's departure in free agency or the Seattle defense's turning out to be a one-year flash in the pan - and come to think of it there really wasn't that much of a "flash" as even this season the Seahawks finished tied for 16th (hence exactly in the middle of the 32-team league) in total defense and actually allowed more yards per game (316.8) than the league average (315.9).

Thus the Steelers, with better balance in their running game and a more even distribution of talent between offense and defense, merit the selection in this one.