Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Basketball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [Championship Game] Kansas vs. Syracuse (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=6916)

Marc 04-07-2003 05:04 PM

[Championship Game] Kansas vs. Syracuse

Use this thread to discuss tonight's national championship game between the the youthful and talented Syracuse Orangemen and the experienced and balanced Jayhawks of Kansas. Who claims the '02-'03 title, boys?

I OWN THIS 04-07-2003 05:31 PM

I have been wrong on just about all my picks, but I guess I will go with Kansas. I will not even try to analyze the game though, because my keys to victory have never really come into existence in any game so far this tournament.

MountaineerDave 04-07-2003 07:39 PM

One wonders if Roy Williams wins the title tonight at KU, will he then see that as his mission complete, call it a Kansas career, and drive to Chapel Hill right after?

And if he loses... does he decide he doesn't want to go back the big loser again, and drive to Chapel Hill right after even faster?

Meanwhile... I'm pissed I can't watch all of this game. In fact, it'll probably end while I'm driving home, so at least I'll hear the end on the radio, but... ugh. I hate my schedule. I hate my job. At least I have one, I guess.

I think Kansas wins, but I think it'll be a great game. Two big bridesmaids-never-a-brides taking on one another...

I'll make a longer-term prediction: If Carmelo Anthony performs as well in this game or better than he did against Texas, he leapfrogs LeBron James in the NBA draft.

Dave

Kornbix 04-07-2003 10:52 PM

66-58 12:00 left to go GO ORANGEMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Kornbix 04-07-2003 11:36 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOO! SYRACUSE 2003 NATIONAL CHAMPS! HENRICH MISSED THE GAME TYING 3 WITH NOT IME REMAINING! GO ORANGEMEN! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Heathen 04-07-2003 11:42 PM

What a great game. That was the first game of college basketball I've watching from start to finish.

Great game and the better team on the night certainly came through.

Congrats Syracuse...

MelYeah 04-08-2003 01:43 AM

Syracuse!! National Champions!!

YES!! YES!! YESSSSS!!

Not much more to say on that one! It was great to see and I'm happy and tired as heck. But I'm very, very happy.

All the Syracuse alums are grinning from ear to ear. Syracuse! 2003 National Champions!!!!

I OWN THIS 04-08-2003 10:01 AM

Congratulations on winning the National Title.

I OWN THIS 04-08-2003 10:05 AM

Dave, I think it all depends on who gets the #1 pick, to whether or not Anthony will leapfrog James for the #1 overall pick in this year's draft. Anthony, once again, played a good game and is no doubt coming out, especially after winning the National Championship. I don't think it mattered whether Syracuse won it all or they lost in the first round, for Anthony was coming out anyways. A player really can't improve his status of being a lock for a top 3 pick in the draft.

I am a little torn on who I would select or who I think should be the first player chosen between James and Anthony. My gut feeling says Anthony, who has more seasoning and maturity obviously at this point, but my imagination says that James could be a product of the Garnett/Kobe/Mcgrady high school phenoms. Tough choice there.

Joey

MountaineerDave 04-08-2003 06:12 PM

James could be what you say he could be... but he could be a bust. James is also more likely to be several years away from contributing at the level you'd want.

Anthony at least has excelled a)in big-ass games and b) against some of those who will be joining him in the NBA, and decidedly better talent than what James has seen overall at this point.

Dave

The J 04-08-2003 06:57 PM

It's definatley a tough debate, but I think I would go with James because although he is not as experienced as Anthony, he is definatley a better athlete and has a better overall game IMO. Take passing for instance, I don't care what level of competition your playing on, when you can dish it out like James, you belong in the NBA.

Anthony is probably a better outside shooter and maybe even a better all-around shooter, but I think in some situations a passer of James' caliber would be more of a neccesity.

James is also a bigger body, he goes about 235 while Anthony is about 220.

I really don't think you could go wrong either way, but I'd still take James.

Marc 04-08-2003 08:02 PM

I think LeBron is still a lock ... but Anthony has to be No. 2 now, not No. 3 as originally thought (behind the Euro kid). I mean, how could you pass on LeBron and have him live up to expectations? It's like drafting Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan!

Anyway, congrats to the Orange! I really enjoyed this game's fast-paced offense and especially Syracuse has so much pure talent it's not even funny. Most of all, congrats to Jim Boeheim, a class act. 'Bout time he won one.

MountaineerDave 04-08-2003 09:53 PM

Maybe the answer is there's no wrong answer. And, it very much depends on who gets that top pick. Cleveland is desperate to get James, but they're the only ones I've heard who have a deep interest. Other teams may want someone with Anthony's skills.

As for Anthony's size: 15lbs is no object!! If Anthony has to be 240lbs to be #1, he can put that on in a month, month and a half... (legality might be a question, but...:)

Dave

The J 04-08-2003 11:49 PM

Well I'm just saying scouts will look at that, the NBA is always looking for bigger bodies (I'll be it not by much more than 'Mello).