Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   A Few Thoughts On... (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=16096)

RavenPoe 01-13-2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 233499)
Generally it needs to be 'liberal leftist' in context; 'leftist' only half of the thought...

Yeah right! As opposed to "conservative leftist" or "liberal rightist"? You guys can act like leftist isn't you attempting to insult us if you want. I'll just keep referring to you all as fascists. How's that?

CKFresh 01-13-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenPoe (Post 233535)
Yeah right! As opposed to "conservative leftist" or "liberal rightist"? You guys can act like leftist isn't you attempting to insult us if you want. I'll just keep referring to you all as fascists. How's that?

Or how about extreme fundamentalist? That is a fairly accurate description right?

RavenPoe 01-13-2007 10:17 PM

Christian fundamentalists. From here on out we'll refer to them as "CF". So what do you got for us, CF clan?

BTW, how do you all like being lumped together in one group?

IntheNet 01-13-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenPoe (Post 233550)
Christian fundamentalists. From here on out we'll refer to them as "CF".

The antagonism implied on the term "fundamentalism" is not without notice but some factual detail must be given here. Fundamentalism in the Muslim religion leads to violence, some of which we are fighting today in our terror war. Fundamentalism in the Christian, Jewish, and Hindu religions does not. Huge difference.

RavenPoe 01-14-2007 01:28 AM

Yep! Nevermind the Ku Klux Klan. Were they Muslim? Or how about Timothy McVeigh? He had to be Muslim, right? Just keep talking so I don't have to.

BigBuddhaPup 01-14-2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 233277)
Who told you I was Italian?

You might address the ideas I proposed...I am aware you don't like them...I am also aware you think my ideas are crazy...but then again, so is the situation with failed marriages and orphans and single mothers.

Propose an alternative solution and I promise I'll read and consider it...but please don't accept the current situation...

Regards...

I did. I guess you guys/gals were too busy playing "I know you are, but what am I?"...

BigBuddhaPup 01-14-2007 11:21 AM

Universal access to birth control, sex education, universal health care, make adoption easier... that deals with the immediate problems of single mothers/fathers...

Failed marriages... that happens... can't legislate choice... oh wait, you want to, right?

BigBuddhaPup 01-14-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 233557)
The antagonism implied on the term "fundamentalism" is not without notice but some factual detail must be given here. Fundamentalism in the Muslim religion leads to violence, some of which we are fighting today in our terror war. Fundamentalism in the Christian, Jewish, and Hindu religions does not. Huge difference.

Some Palestinians consider Israel to be terrorists... a Hindu extremist killed Gandhi... Bosnia, enough said....

It happens across the board...

Cure 01-14-2007 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup (Post 233727)
Some Palestinians consider Israel to be terrorists... a Hindu extremist killed Gandhi... Bosnia, enough said....

It happens across the board...

Crazies of every stripe. Israel is the third rail in US politics... no one can dare say anything against their policies for fear of the anti-semite label being slapped on them. I'm not condoning Palestinian suicide bombers, but those who think that Israel is the poor little victim here need to look at the situation a little closer. Until the Israeli and Palestinian problem is solved, there is going to be violent conflict in the Mid-East.

Richard the Lionheart 01-14-2007 02:33 PM

I don't think there is any fear in this country for people to support the Palestinians or talk out against the Israelies. Its pretty much the in vogue thing to do lately it seems to me.

Israel is not completely free of blame (who is? We're talking about the Middle-East here), but I don't understand how anyone could believe that they aren't the victim or the ones on the defensive. Their right to existence has never been accepted in the region. The United States wouldn't put up with half of what the Israelies do.

HibachiDG 01-14-2007 02:53 PM

I don't know so much of it's because it's an "in vogue" thing to do as it is more and more people realizing a difference between Palestinians that just want to go about their lives and Palestinians that are blowing up Sbarro's. The distinction seems to be at least covered more these days.

Richard the Lionheart 01-14-2007 03:37 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am definitely not saying that all Palestinians are terrorists or anything like that. I'm talking about the radical elements and the leadership. I don't believe any religion or group is naturally more violent than any other. If some seem to be, it is because of separate causes.

Cure 01-14-2007 09:36 PM

There are some radical elements in the Israeli government as well... missile and bombing strikes against soft targets, lots of civilian casualties, keeping Palestinians from traveling between villages. Some of their more draconian measures stir up even more hatred than is "normal" against Israel.

Anthony 01-16-2007 01:47 PM

The origins of the present "troubles" in Palestine/Israel are essentially this:

The Arabs - at least those in that particular locality - sided with the Axis during World War II, on the theory that if the Axis won the war, there wouldn't be any Jews to share Palestine with!

Well they bet on the wrong horse (and like Germany, Italy and Japan, had to give up territory - what became Israel - as a result) - and for the last 60 years they have been hanging around the mutuel window trying to get their money back, only to get themselves in even more trouble in the process (losing still more land in 1956, 1967 and 1973, in wars they were exclusively responsible for provoking).

I believe the technically-correct term is "revanchism."