View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #52
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
How do we know the guy at Sheetz isn't working on something in his spare time that he is immersed in? Many people who excelled in their chosen fields didn't approach their disciplines the same way due to external forces. What about people who didn't give the full extent of their discoveries/insights for fear of external forces (church, state)? Did they fail? Should we respect them?
Then I wouldn't look at him that way, but I tried to make the point that he doesn't.

Quote:
How did Beethoven see the world in a different way? Why does anyone have to contribute to the world?
Just listen to his music-- who else was the world that way before him?

Quote:
Why worry about offending people if they're meaningless? Seems like a hypocritical statement. I'm not offended here, but since I'm not seeing these issues as you do why bother talking to me about it?
Hypocritical statement? More paradoxical

Quote:
You mentioned Beethoven and Wittgenstein both being suicidal from the process of extraction (I presume) from society to take on their disciplines in this no holds barred manner. Is being suicidal a prereq for this endeavor? Should we all be suicidal? If we've determined that someone who can't appreciate someone like Beethoven is meaningless, should they kill themselves? Should I kill myself since I don't follow this logic? Are you suicidal? And do you look forward to killing yourself if you can't achieve this process?
No. I was simply making the point that it's not done for "happiness."

Toby, Buck's the one who always uses that quotes-- usually for CK Sure, the quote is what it is-- and I've been trying to make a point against it.

But all of this over-analyzing is getting old. People can think what they want to think...
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote