Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road
Default take your pick... top free agent

-ray allen
-michael redd
-larry hughes
-joe johnson
-eddy curry
-samuel dalembert
-zydrunas ilgauskas

ray allen is my top free agent. cavs need this guy to keep lebron happy and to finally make the post season. keeping ilgauskas would also be a great move for them.

redd probably wont be moving since the bucks cleared cap space for him. same story w/ joe johnson and the suns.

dalembert impressed me more and more throughout the season and playoffs. he should a lot of hustle and can make defensive plays. 76ers need to keep him. they will a nice team w/ him, iguodala, a.i., and webber hopefully finally to get mesh in training camp. they'll be back in the playoffs.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Allen and Redd seem to be very similar players, although Redd is a few years younger and Allen is the bigger star. We all saw how important Joe Johnson was for the Suns when we was injured. There are some nice players who can make a difference, but no superstar FAs.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Abdur-Rahim is a nice big man on the market as well.

Although out of those i think i would have to take either Joe Johnson or Larry Hughes. Hughes is pretty young and i think Johnson is too, but im not certain on it.

As far as Redd goes, i see him staying with the Bucks seeing as how they offered him the max deal, and its $20 million over what Cleveland has offered him.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Dalembert and Bobby Simmons are the two best players IMO. Big men are in shortage, and Dalembert has a good defensive prescence. 76ers will probably match any offer though. Joe Johnson looked good in the Suns offense. I don't trust him. How come he didn't get those numbers in Boston? He needs playmakers. Redd and Allen want too much dough IMO. Abdur-Rahim is a stats man, nothing more. He can get you 20 and 10 and you lose by 30 or he can get you 16 and 8 and you win by 30.

Word is Lebron wants Curry over Iggy. I would agree there. Iggy gets too much hype. Yeah his offensive game is nice, but his defense is horrible. That won't cut it against Detroit or Shaq down the stretch if the Cavs want a banner. Curry's health is an issue though. Tyson Chandler is another nice big man, but I think he's sticking with the Bulls.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

You are not serious about the why didn't he play that way in Boston about Johnson are you? Give the guy a break he played half a season in Boston and it was his rookie year at that. It generally takes perimeter guys a year or two to adjust to the NBA's three point line and the faster pace of the game.

Curry over Iggy? I don't know. The only thing Curry will give you is scoring and that is about it. Curry is soft and is a horrible rebounder for a 6-11 center he also doesn't block any shots. Iggy will at least rebound and block shots for you.

Dalembert is going to attract tons of attention just due to the abilities he has shown but the Sixers have already said they intend on matching any offer he gets. One of the primary reasons O'Brien got fired was over the way he handled Dalembert and they knew O'Brien was the reason he was dropping hints about wanting to play elsewhere next season. Mo and Samuel also had a pretty good relationship when he was assistant under Brown.

I think Chandler will attract the second most attention on the big man market this Summer. A lot of folks are starting to compare him to Rodman and Ben Wallace in terms of his defense and rebounding and guys like Wallace and Rodman are capable of changing and dominating a game without scoring a point.

Larry Hughes I would be leery of. Yes, he is young, but he averages just over 60 games a season and always seems to be fighting an injury of some sort. Also, his game is still all over the place consistency-wise.

Kwame Brown is going to be an intriguing free agent this Summer. There was a rumor going around draft night that the Knicks were going to send Sweetney to the Wiz for the rights to Brown and there is some innuendo that the Hawks may offer him a contract. He obviously needs to get out of D. C. and after he got uninvited to the playoffs last year I doubt the Wiz are going to be anxious to match any serious offers made for him.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:53 PM   #6
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
Larry Hughes I would be leery of. Yes, he is young, but he averages just over 60 games a season and always seems to be fighting an injury of some sort. Also, his game is still all over the place consistency-wise.
You dare doubt the awesomeness of Larry "the Legend" Hughes?

You do realize he came out of the Great Saint Louis University, do you not?

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yes, being a Sixers fan I am very aware of Larry 'The Legend' Hughes. I always thought he got a bit of a raw deal with LB in Philly. I am not saying he is a bad player I just would not give him a huge contract.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Eddy Curry has injury problems. He's tempting with that big, burly frame, but until he can stay healthy for a season AND produce on the boards, I wouldn't throw a whole lot of money at him.

Sam Dalembert has got a lot of good qualities. For one thing, he's a legit 7-foot, something that's no longer a guarantee for NBA centers. He's got a long wingspan, which makes him an imposing shot blocking presence in the key. He'll probably never reach superstar status, but he'll be a servicable center, something that's becoming a rarer and rarer commodity in the League.

Ray Allen is dangerous. He's the kind of guy you could build a franchise's offense around...when he's healthy. That "when" is never a guarantee, either. His offensive production is among the tops in the League, but with the money he's demanding (over $90 million), a team would be up You-Know-What Creek if he fell back into the IR.

I like Larry Hughes. He's not going to wow you with his numbers, but he plays solid defense (was the L's top man in steals), and showed this year he can be a team player. But, as doublee mentioned, he's very injury prone.

Bobby Simmons is one of the most underrated guys in the NBA. He put up close to 20 ppg this season, and did so quietly over in Los Angeles. I'd love to see the Clippers resign him, but that's certainly not a guarantee, especially since they seem to be hot to bring in a bigger name guy.

Joe Johnson is going to be a superstar sooner than you think. And he'll be one in Phoenix. The Suns managed to save big bucks shipping Quentin Richardson to New York. And, since he's restricted, it's safe to guess he'll be back in purple and orange.

Shareef is such a solid player, but never gets the credit he deserves, playing in various NBA wastelands (Vancouver, Atlanta, and Portland after its success faded). I haven't heard who is interested in him, but I'm sure he'll fly under the radar and continue to post 20 per next season.

One doublee mentioned as "intriguing," and I agree completely, is Kwame Brown. Yeah, he had attitude problems in Washington. But he's still just a youngster (22, I believe), and at 6'11 with athleticism as undeniable upside. I can see him going the Jermaine O'Neal route - emerging elsewhere after festering his first few years.

Blog
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:58 PM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Micheal Jordan did not do anything to help Kwame out either. From everything I have read Jordan just dumped on him and tore him up every chance he got when he was there to try and 'toughen' him up only he broke him to the point where he lost all confidence in his abilities. Kwame is only 23 and did show some signs of life in '03-'04 but then regressed last year. I think he may be able to give a team something where there will be no pressure for him to perform like the top pick in the draft.

According to Chad Ford the Nets, Heat, and Wolves are all interested in Abdur-Rahim but will only have the mid-level to offer him. He is only 28 and would be a nice addition as a number two option in the post where he will not be relied upon to be the go-to guy. Miami or Minnesota would be a pretty good fit for him.

I like Hughes okay, he just seems like a guy who is always going to be a good second or third option but never be that prime time franchise guy. I don't think it is any co-incidence that it took getting him on a team with Antawn Jamison and Gilbert Arenas to have his breakout season.

I don't think Dalembert will ever be a superstar either, but I do think he could eventually develop into a guy who scores 15 ppg and gets 10+ rpg. He is already one of the better post defenders in the league. He more than held his own out there against the Pistons in the playoffs and he usually played well when O'Briend felt compelled to give him more than 25 minutes a game.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #10
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

Abdur-Rahim is a notorious choker. He get's all the credit he deserves - none. When the game is on the line, or even anywhere in the fourth quarter, he's a complete no show. A team like Miami would be a good fit for him. He can help pad the Heat stat sheets and ride the coattails of Shaq and Wade when the game's on the line.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:05 AM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

doublee...

Perhaps I was harsh on Johnson, but my I stand by my main point: Phoenix's style, system, and proven players (Amare and Shawn) make me leary about Joe. I think you plug in the other guards we have in this discussion down in Phoenix and you get much better results.

Curry might be a little timid, but believe me doublee, Iggy is as soft as baby's bottom. Blocks really don't measure toughness. I mean Zo blocks a buncha shots and is one mean SOB, and then you look at Shawn Bradley and...well, you know.

Brian...

Not sure about their cap space, but that ain't a bad theory. With no pressure and nothing to carry, he could serve nicely in that role.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I never said Iggy is a tough player just that Curry is soft, and am merely pointing out the fact that he at least rebounds and blocks shots. Not only does he do that but he scores as much as Curry does. I am not suggesting that he is any tougher than Curry just merely pointing out the fact that at this stage of their respective careers Iggy is the better all around player and I fail to see where Curry is a huge upgrade over Iggy other than being significantly younger.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #13
SPORTS FAN 72
Sports Enthusiast

SPORTS FAN 72 is on a distinguished road

As a Sixer Fan I'd Like Ray Allen On the team. He could take some pressure off of Allen Iverson. We need more talent and scoring.
SPORTS FAN 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The Sixers are capped out and only have the money to re-sign their own guys and offer the mid-level veterans exception and I can promise you that Allen is not going to sign for that. Unfortunately, I don't see the Sixers making any significant acquisitions this offseason unless they move Iverson. Nobody is going to touch Webber's contract.

But, I am not so sure the Sixers need to make any drastic changes to compete this year. Their best move was canning O'Brien and bringing in a coach who will have a clue of what to do with the talent they have assuming they hang on to Dalembert and Korver. A lot will depend on the health of Chris Webber. If they can get him remotely healthy Webber and Dalembert could be a pretty tough duo to defend in the low post, especially with Webber so adept at passing out of double teams. I love Igoudala, once he develops his jump shot he is going to be a lethal player from the perimeter.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:56 PM   #15
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Korver is a good shooter, but cant play D to save his life. Igoudala is awesome. he is a guy who's game should explode sometime real soon.
blackdogsong is offline   Reply With Quote