Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #61
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Penn State received a verbal today from four-star DE Jared Odrick from Lebanon, PA.
Yea I just read that. Good for PSU he's a heck of a player. I knew he would choose you guys over Florida. The PA highschoolers tend to stick to an instate school.

ESPNNews 3:40 if anyone is interested in the Harvin/McDaniel announcement.

Last edited by themush; 12-19-2005 at 04:33 PM.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:54 PM   #62
themush
Banned

WE GOT THEM BOTH:clap: :clap: :banana: :banana: . Harvin and McDaniel chose to go to Florida. Along with Tebow this Gator offence should be one of the best in the nation. Reading into this tells me Chad Jackson will be in the draft this year.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #63
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Florida is definitely having the best recruiting class of the season.

SC lost out on Harvin, but they picked up 4-star DE Alex Parsons over the weekend. Supposedly they had a few commits over the weekend. But today belongs to the Gators.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #64
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970
SI reported yesterday that top high school quarterback Tim Tebow is headed to UF. This is great news considering Josh Portis transferred from the school last week.

Follow up- Portis is going to Maryland.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #65
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush
Follow up- Portis is going to Maryland.
It will be interesting to see how that impacts Jeremy Ricker, a four-star QB from PA. He committed to Maryland a couple of months ago.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #66
themush
Banned

I don't think it should prevent him from goin to Maryland. Cansider Portis has to sit out next year and Ricker will get a fair shake at the QB possition. Portis isn't that great of a passer when it comes down to it. Do I wish he stayed of course but his mother seemed to fill his head with unrealistic ideas. I wish nothing but good luck to him.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #67
themush
Banned

With Miami leting 4 assistant coaches go today I can only wonder what that will do to their recruiting class???
Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #68
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I am curious to know why it is they all got canned like that. There has to be more to it than them getting their butts handed to them by LSU.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #69
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee
I am curious to know why it is they all got canned like that. There has to be more to it than them getting their butts handed to them by LSU.
Well Coker would have been the first to go however I just read he signed a 5 year deal before this season so the buy out would have be enormous. Kehoe has been though all the ups and downs for damn near 20 years hate to see him go...who am I kidding bring all your recruits with you to UF.

UM has one RB committ(Javarris James 4*'s) guess who he was recruited by??? Yup, Soldinger and Kehoe.

Last edited by themush; 01-06-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #70
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
With Miami leting 4 assistant coaches go today I can only wonder what that will do to their recruiting class???
According to an ACC beat writer I caught on the radio the other day Shannon and their WR coach are Miami's two elite recruiters while the other guys work are not as visible in the recruiting process.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #71
themush
Banned

Quote:
According to an ACC beat writer I caught on the radio the other day Shannon and their WR coach are Miami's two elite recruiters while the other guys work are not as visible in the recruiting process.
No freaking way! I don't mean that towards you doublee. That information is flat out wrong. Kehoe is the standard when it comes to recruiting OL and RB's he was there over 20 years. Soldinger has a strangle hold on any position south of Gainesville in the state of Florida. Coker himself had to go see Javarris James after "Black Monday" because James had a relationship with Soldinger since his cousin went to Miami. You may have heard of him Edgerrin James recruited by Sol also.

Shannon has already lost Sam Young and I wouldn't be surprised if the other 5* Stafon Johnson RB is gone as well.

Again doublee that rant wasn't directed towards you, just that "ACC" beat writer sounds more like a Miami damage control writer.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:00 AM   #72
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're 100% correct in that statement.

Although they have been with the program for such a long time, truth be told that the players in their respective fields have been lacking the last couple of years. The steady decline was painfully visible. Werner was an obvious decision to go. He is a position coach at this level, not a coordinator.

The other's were due to lack of recruiting and production, the new OC will have his own people in mind, or they could not longer co-exist with Coker. The other thing is that I would hope Coker discussed Vernon Hargraeves with Randy about the position. I certainly expect for Randy to have some say as to who he decides to pick up for that.

The offensive line was inconsistent, playing well in a few games, but played poorly when it mattered against FSU and GaTech. The offensive line was awful, but I mean it was downright freaking disgusting. Ive seen St. Thomas Aquinas' offensive line block better than they have the last couple of years.

I'm not sold on Tim Walton either. He's failed to develop Devin Hester into a proper corner, Greg Threat never developed, Tenard Davis is non-exsistent, Glenn Sharpe has fallen off. Jennings and Meriweather were the bright spots, but I feel they were because of talent, not because of coaching and development. He's been here two years, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I expect to see some changes in the secondary next year. We sorely miss Mark Stoops, but the only reason Larry Coker is keeping him around is because he's an avid recruiter. Either way, we shall see on this one.

I'd like to know why Larry Coker moved James Bryant from LB to FB -- a position that he clearly isnt comfortable with? He has good speed for his size but, switching over a talented kid like him to a specialty role is beyond me. With the speculation that James was going to transfer, hopefully Coker will see the light and give Mabry the full time FB duty next year. He was recruited as a LB but played FB exclusively in high school and was being recruited by some schools as a full time FB. Let him develop. I think he's the answer to Quad Hill, not Bryant.

I would love to see Pete Garcia take over for Paul Dee as the Athletic Director. Until that happens, I fear there wont be any major wholesale changes in program. Seeing as to some of the stuff he's working on, I think he was brought in to stir some new life. If he manages to turn this around, like I think he's capable of doing -- it's something that will defenitely not go unnoticed by the upper echelon and fans alike.

Also, I'd like to know what happened to Greg Mark? I find it a bit curious as to the nature of his departure.

I've been following Hurricane football for the better part of 18 years and it just gets me all fustrated when a supposed well oiled machine just isnt clicking.

As for the Peach Bowl game, it was absolutely the worst performance by a Miami football team that I have ever seen. It was was certaintly a debacle to say the least. However, this really gets the heat turned on the coaching staff. It's all about who wants it more. LSU wanted it more - from top to bottom. Every single player and staff member of the Hurricane program should look in the mirror - every single one.

1. You can't keep relying on the defense to cover up the offensive shortcomings every game. The defensive unit had a stellar year - one of the best ever. Without some long gains throughout the year due to missed assignments, it would've been a record year.

2. Miami needs leadership from its' linebacker corps. They have lots of talent here, but no real standout leader. Historically at UM its come from the MLB position. Revolving door doesn't help. I've written down all the LB candidates next year and don't have a clue as to who will be the starters. But leadership has to be a parameter for success here.

3. If you can't win the battle up front, you're never going to run, pass protect, convert 3rd downs, etc. Need more emphasis on recruiting O-line, and keeping them together for a few years to develop some consistency. Look at what the military academies do with their lines. Their linemen aren't huge - but they're smart, and understand positioning, leverage and technique. Commit to getting better up front. Establish the run, and learn to live and die by it. Only then will the WRs and TEs be able to contribute as they should. Build the team from the inside out -not the other way around!

4. Need more imaginative play calling. Hire an offensive coordinate that can implement an innovative, unpredictable scheme - that puts players in the best position to succeed.

5. Hire a disciplinarian as head coach, or have the head coach surround himself with disciplinarians as coordinators and assistants which certainly isnt Larry Coker.

6. Hand out the LSU game tape to every player and staff associated with the program, and use it as motivation every day between now and next Jan.

7. Let the malcontents in the program go. No one is bigger than the team. Make some examples out of players and support the players that buy in. Recruit players like Q. Hill and B. Ortega that have not only skill but also desire and a willingness to sacrifice for the team as their main character traits.

8. Put Kyle Wright in a system where he can succeed. Give him some time, put him in the shotgun, and take the shackles off. Don't be afraid to take some chances and stretch the field.

Who will replace Dan Werner? Who will be our defensive line coach? Who should be the QB coach? Who will replace Art Kehoe? Who will replace Don Soldinger? Who SHOULD replace Tim Walton?
So many questions. So little answers.

I'm almost saddened that Dan Hawkins took over the Colorado job. That would have been a STELLAR head coach for the University of Miami. His offensive flare would complement Randy Shannon's defense.

Time to step up.

Miami can have a great year in '06 if they stick together, work harder than they've ever worked before, and learn to play smart, sound football - and have some fun doing it.

Sorry I went into a rant.. I had to vent

Last edited by digital7; 01-06-2006 at 01:14 AM.
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #73
themush
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital7
You're 100% correct in that statement.

Who will replace Dan Werner? Who will be our defensive line coach? Who should be the QB coach? Who will replace Art Kehoe? Who will replace Don Soldinger? Who SHOULD replace Tim Walton?
So many questions. So little answers.
You really can't be serious with that "rant"? Are you so blind that you actually think Miami recruiting will not take a hit this year? You would rather have Coker stay around over Kehoe and Sol? You are the only scUM fan I've heard say that. You even ask yourself questions at the end of it. HINT: it starts with WHO???????????
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 AM   #74
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You really can't be serious with that "rant"? Are you so blind that you actually think Miami recruiting will not take a hit this year? You would rather have Coker stay around over Kehoe and Sol? You are the only scUM fan I've heard say that. You even ask yourself questions at the end of it. HINT: it starts with WHO???????????
Buddy, this has been my team for over 17 years. Im entitled to say whatever the **** I want. Got it?

Don't come here and tell me about Kehoe and Soldinger, I know what they've done.

Where did I say exactly that we wouldnt take a hit in recruiting? ANYTIME you lose position coaches, you take a hit in recruiting wise guy. Im just merely stating a FACT that their recruiting has taken a fall the last couple of years and that the development of certain players has left alot to be desired.

I LOVED Kehoe and Sol, but the proof is in the pudding guy.

Does it hurt? Yes.

Is there anything I could do about Sol and Art being fired? Not a damn thing.

Would I have kept them? Based on their recent performance the last few years. NO.

Do I like Larry Coker? Hell no.

He's the one that should have gone to begin with. He's a weak ass head coach with no fire or motivation and personally, these firings were a complete DESPERATION MOVE on his part to save his own ass.

If Im the only scUM fan you've heard say that, then you have some catching up to do. There's ALOT of people down here that feel the same way. Just because you're a staple in a program doesnt make you expendible if your not performing up to par

It is what it is
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #75
themush
Banned

Quote:
Buddy, this has been my team for over 17 years. Im entitled to say whatever the **** I want. Got it?
Got it Sport, Miami has been your team for over 17 years. Let's continue.

Quote:
Don't come here and tell me about Kehoe and Soldinger, I know what they've done. I LOVED Kehoe and Sol, but the proof is in the pudding guy.
So I don't eat pudding, maybe you could explain what that means.

Quote:
Is there anything I could do about Sol and Art being fired? Not a damn thing.
Really? So I guess your not Miami's AD then huh?

Quote:
Do I like Larry Coker? Hell no.

He's the one that should have gone to begin with. He's a weak ass head coach with no fire or motivation and personally, these firings were a complete DESPERATION MOVE on his part to save his own ass.
Read my above post and you will see why Coker wasn't fired but, with your 17 years I guess you already knew that.

Quote:
If Im the only scUM fan you've heard say that, then you have some catching up to do

Granted I don't live in Miami but, I know alot of Miami fans here in Tampa and most of them aren't happy.