Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road
Default Week 1 gets going...

Did not watch a whole lot of it, South Carolina rolled over NC State, but going into week 2 and the Conference opener against Vanderbilt, they have a QB competition. The starter threw 4 interceptions and the backup Chris Smelley came in, threw only 5 passes, but completed them all and had 2 TDs to blow the game open. Smelley I thought would be the QB coming in to the season because he started some last season, even though he is only a sophomore and Beecher is a redshirt Junior. Could be an interesting next couple of weeks, but they'll need to figure it out soon if Spurrier wants to have an impact in the SEC this year.

Elsewhere, Dan LeFevour 3 TDs, 0 INT for CMU in their win. 217 passing yards, 41 rushing. His campaign for 4th place in the Heisman vote gets underway.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

For anyone who was interested in watching the LSU/App St. game it has been moved up to 11:00 AM on Saturday as a result of Gustav:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3559665

I watched a bit of the USC/NCSU game last night. The Wolfpack is in trouble offensively. They just completely out of synch. The game was actually pretty close until State's defense wore down in the 4th quarter as a result of being on the field so much. I think SC had a roughly 10 minute advantage in time of possession.

Given Spurriers penchant for yanking his QBs the first time they screw up I was shocked to see Beecher last as long as he did. I thought for sure he was out of there after he threw his 3rd interception in five posessions.

We had Wake on here last night as well and they looked pretty strong even though it was only Baylor. The thing that boggled my mind is that some of the guys on ESPN kept saying that not anyone can go down to Baylor and win a game. I was not aware Baylor was such a tough road win, I mean I cannot even remember the last time Baylor was even bowl eligible.

I am really interested in seeing how Clemson fares against 'Bama. Of course all of the Clemson homers are talking National Championship but they are the consensus favorite to win the ACC, but then again, they are every year and manage to lose to some crappy team they have no business losing to. I would not be at all surprised to see them drop the hammer on 'Bama and then get beat by NC State in two weeks.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

The whole time I thought Smelley was The Old Ball Coach's starter. Anyone know what happened?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Tomorrow in Athens, the newest star in college football will debut. No, not A.J. Green, Uga VII.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Well, Michigan starts the season with a loss. They did not look good today, but that can probably be expected at least somewhat with the transition and QB situation. Utah kept giving Michigan a chance to steal that game and most of the positives for Michigan were Utah negatives, it seemed. The second QB for Michigan, Threet, just kept chucking balls up, connected on that one TD, but otherwise looked like a QB playing his first game.

USC rolls. Not too surprising there. Sanchez looked very solid from what I saw. But then again, damn, they have got some weapons.

Ohio State, hopefully for them the injury for Wells is not too serious.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

The season kicks off for me in a few hours, 3:30, as Kentucky and Louisville have their annual rivalry game on ESPN. Go Cats! I'm worried about our offense, with a new QB and losing a lot of receivers, it could be hard scoring.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
The Irish
Mr. Cellophane

The Irish is on a distinguished road

UK took U of L behind the woodshed today to the tune of 27-2. U of L's offense made UK's defense look very good. You were right to worry about the offense, Marc. UK's offense scored only 13 points. The other 14 points came on two Cardinal fumbles recovered and taken back for touchdowns. This is going to be a long season for U of L football. Hunter Cantwell threw 3 interceptions, and went 20-43 for 151 yards. The one "brightspot" for U of L was Doug Beaumont. He caught 9 passes for 76 yards.

They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I, respectfully, disagree. I say the best weapon is one you only have to fire once! That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. - Tony Stark
The Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Marshall has a legit shot at beating Wisconsin this weekend. Their offense is more than capable of putting up 21+ points against a defense as solid as Wisconsin: they have a WR named Passmore who is a deep threat on every play (last week he caught an 80 yard td pass and another one just as long that got called back) and their running back, Marshall, is more than capable of putting up 100 yards against Wisconsin.

The real question is how the defense will hold up. It's got a lot of depth, but it's definitely probable that Wisconsin's running game will be too strong.

If they can contain the run, don't be surprised if Marshall pulls off the upset; they've got a deceptively solid team this year.

Last edited by Ellis; 09-02-2008 at 02:54 AM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

A game this weekend that I think will be closer than expected is Central Michigan/Georgia. CMUs QB is a solid air/ground threat that can catch teams off guard.