Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-02-2006, 03:24 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down McNabb Takes Parting Shot At T.O.

Donovan McNabb couldn't leave well enough alone: In an interview with ESPN on Wednesday, McNabb characterized himself as the victim of a "black-on-black crime" committed against him by Terrell Owens.

Dude, do you want some cheese with that whine?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:04 AM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I saw this earlier a was gonna post it... but said "I'll let Anthony take care of this one". I'm "over it" - I'm at the point now where I could honestly care less.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 02-02-2006 at 05:03 AM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 AM   #3
Anthony

And McNabb shouldn't care about it at this point either.

Instead of crying about what happened in the past, shouldn't McNabb be focused on the future - perhaps by actively lobbying The Axis of Evil (Jeffrey Lurie, Joe Banner and Andy Reid) to sign his off-season workout buddy Antwaan Randle El? And then if they didn't do it, maybe accuse the terrible trio of committing a "white-on-black crime" by refusing to provide him with the big-play receiver he so desperately needs?

Donovan McNabb reminds me of this dude I saw on Dr. Phil's show a while back - he was in his 40s, and was still harboring a grudge over having been picked on in high school; this reached a flash point when one of his erstwhile tormentors got into some kind of trouble involving white-collar crime or something nearly 30 years later, and the guy wrote a letter to the editor of the local newspaper openly gloating about it (apparently neither of them had ever relocated since high school). He defended his action by telling Dr. Phil, "I have a right to be angry, don't I?" To which Dr. Phil provided the argument-clinching answer: "At this stage of your life, shouldn't you be more concerned about asserting your right to be happy instead?"

Last edited by Anthony; 02-02-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Well like I said, I dont care so I may be wrong here. But didn't McNabb say this in an interview? I'm sure he's over it too and moving on, but if a reporter asked him, he gave his opinion.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:18 AM   #5
Anthony

Just like Michael Irvin asked T.O. in October if he thought the Eagles would have a better record if Brett Favre and not Donovan McNabb was their starting quarterback - whereupon T.O. gave his opinion.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-02-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

But they were teamates then. Its different - you dont talk about your teamate like that. Now its over, done with. Both can say what they please - I bet they don't even care anymore. I know I dont! BTW Anthony, what are you doing up around this time? I'm in Hawaii and its 11:30pm... I don't wanna know what time it is where you are
Old 02-02-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
Anthony

I'm at work ... it's 1:38 AM as I post this ... my hours are 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM, Tuesday through Saturday (tonight being considered a Wednesday).

And I'm not denying McNabb's right to free speech - but I am questioning his priorities though.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
boston_aloha
FFB #2

This will stick w/ these guys for a while. Next year when/if they get a new WR, the interviews will be the same "what's life like after TO? How do you compare this year's WR to TO last year?" Its never gonna end (or not for a while), those questions will always come.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
Anthony

Don't worry, Antwaan Randle El will put this story to rest after he has caught 60 passes from McNabb for 1,100 yards and 8 TDs next year - that is, if the Eagles' front office is smart enough, and generous enough, to sign him.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Thank you Anthony for getting me more involved now... (sarcasm)
Ok, I actually read the whole article and I do have a problem with one thing McNabb said regarding TO's comment "we'd be a better team if we had B Favre":
Quote:
"It's different to say, 'If we had Michael Vick or Daunte Culpepper or Steve McNair or Byron Leftwich," McNabb said of four black starting quarterbacks. "But to go straight to Brett Favre, that kind of just slapped me in the face like, 'Wow ..."'
So saying Favre is better is a slap in the face, but I'd be different if he chose Leftwich (or one of the other 3)???
I don't get this? Is McNabb more mad because TO picked a white QB? Would he not of been as mad if it were one of the 4 listed above? Or is he just trying to say in his opinion, the other 4 are better than Favre (which is far from true, but maybe because Favre had a bad season?). I wanna be careful about this and make sure I really understand him before I start my argument.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #11
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
I don't get this? Is McNabb more mad because TO picked a white QB? Would he not of been as mad if it were one of the 4 listed above? Or is he just trying to say in his opinion, the other 4 are better than Favre (which is far from true, but maybe because Favre had a bad season?). I wanna be careful about this and make sure I really understand him before I start my argument.
I agree with you. I am a little confused with McNabb's comment, too. I initially read it that McNabb was insulted because he was compared to a white quarterback, rather than a black one. My response is, excuse me? Does McNabb think black quarterbacks are superior to white ones? I could understand McNabb being insulted if T.O. said that the Eagles would be better off with Kyle Boller or Chad Pennington at QB. But Favre? Favre is a HOF QB, and I can't say the same for a few of those that McNabb mentioned, at least not yet.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Right Sue... And while I may agree with TO's comment, No way will I ever agree with him actually saying it. But, yeah - is saying he's mad cause TO picked a white QB or is he mad that he picked Favre in this season (his worst)?
Why would it be different if he said "We'd be better w/ M. Vick". All 4 of those QB's named suck BTW. Vick prob has the best stats and if you go to our probowl thread, you can see how bad they are. Leftwich is the only one who made it to playoffs (and didn't get them there!) and we all saw what happened.
I'm trying to understand this.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I'm just tired of hearing about this whole dispute.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
boston_aloha
FFB #2

That was my initial post Jay. I couldn't agree more. But after I read it, now I'm more focused on sorting out McNabb's comments. TO who?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #15
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I just read a little more of McNabb's comments, and IMO McNabb was simply insulted by being compared to a white quarterback, regardless of ability:

"That's like me going out and saying 'Hey, if we had Steve Largent, if we had Joe Jurevicius'. It was definitely a slap in the face to me.......it was black-on-black crime."

Okay, I believe Steve Largent is a HOF WR, is he not? So again why is it so awful to be compared to Favre? Heaven forbid you get compared to a great QB, Donovan (who happens to be white AND who also has actually won a SB)...............
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote