Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 08-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Atlanta Braves Have Exciting Future Ahead

The Atlanta Braves find themselves in an unfamiliar spot. Not only are they not leading their division, but they trail the first place New York Mets by 16 games in the NL East.

Atlanta still has a chance to win the wild Card, but don't count on it this year. Why you say?

The Cincinnati Reds lead the wild card race at this time and they show no signs of letting up. They may even win their divison the way the St. Louis Cardinals have been playing lately.

The second reason is the Atlanta Braves starting pitching.

Since pitching coach Leo Mazzone defected to the Baltimore Orioles the Braves have struggled.

Starter Tim Hudson has floundered this year. He is 9-10 with an ERA of 4.98. Hudson was 14-9 just a year ago for the Braves.

The only starter having a good year for the Braves is John Smoltz. Smoltz won Friday night against the Milwaukee Brewers pitching his 53rd shutout of his career. Smoltz is 10-5 on the year.

He has also won six straight starts

Another reason for the team struggling with their starting pitching was the lost of Mike Hampton for the year, along John Thomson being on the DL.

He has also won six straight starts.

The Braves pitching staff hasn't been this bad since 1990.

The good news is that have some young talented pitchers that should develop into fine pitchers. Like southpaw pitcher Chuck James. James was 4-0 before losing three games.

James just gave up one run in over six innings with six strikeouts and no walks in a no decision against the Philadelphia Phillies last week.

This kid will improve.

Pitcher Kyle Davies who has been on the DL since May has a great future ahead of him. Davies is only 22 years old. He won twice against the NY Mets this season.

Righty Jason Shiell could be another good pitcher when he gains some confidence.

Lance Cormier a 25 year old righty has good potential too, they say.

Horacio Ramirez has struggled this season for Atlanta. He is 5-5 with an ERA of 4.48. But he is quite capable of coming up with some big wins.

Now one good thing Atlanta did this season before the trading deadline was to pick up closer Bob Wickman from the Cleveland Indians.

Wickman has six saves in six chances for Atlanta. His ERA is 0.00 since being with Atlanta. So far he has pitched seven innings while giving up just four hits.

As most baseball fans know the Braves are playing a lot of young players in their lineup.

When you play a lot of young players even if they are real talented they seem to get frustrated quite easily.

Some have no patience at the plate. They really big themselves up with they make a mistake and so on.

If the Atlanta Braves will be patient with these certain young players the dividends will pay off big time.

Players like outfielder Jeff Francoeur.

Francoeur is really hitting the ball this season. He showed brillance at times in 2005.

Currently he has 21 homeruns and 80 runs driven in. His batting average is a bit low at .258, but he will hit higher for average and soon. He's quite aggressive at the plate.

Another young player having an outstanding season for the Braves is first baseman Adam LaRoche.

LaRoche has 23 homeruns and 64 runs knocked in. In 2005 he only had 20 homeruns for the season.

When he gets hot he stays hot for a while. LaRoche is 26 years old.

Now how about catcher Brian McCann? Wow he's stroking that ball. McCann is batting .352 with 14 homeruns and 52 RBI's. His OBP is a respectable .407.

I never believed this guy would be such a good hitter. He'll be behind the plate for years to come with Atlanta.

Outfielder Ryan Langerhans has a great future ahead of him. He is a very good fielder and has made some unbelievable catches this season. Langerhans is only 26 years old.

Outfielder Scott Thorman may have a bright future ahead of him. This guy is huge at 6-3 an 235 pounds. Thorman is 24 years old.

Another guy that can come off the bench and contribute is outfielder Matt Diaz. Diaz is batting .339 with four homeruns and 20 RBI's.

There are several other young players for Atlanta. Some will go up and down from the pros to the minors and back, but most will be play in the major leagues.

So how will Atlanta do in the near future? I predict they will be back a top the NL East in 2007.

A couple of reason I say this is because hopefully veteran third base starter Chipper Jones will be totally healthy in 2007. When this guy is healthy he really contributes on offense and defense.

Another reason is the Braves centerfielder Andruw Jones. Jones is getting better each season. He currently ranks second in the NL in RBI's with 99.

We can't forget second baseman Marcus Giles and shortstop Edgar Renteria. Both are very good hitters.

In closing, I'm excited about the Braves future. You should be too even if your not an Atlanta Braves fan. Because nothing is better than watching young talented players mature to be superstars of tommorrow.

Last edited by bama4256; 08-14-2006 at 03:08 PM.
bama4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I guess nobody agrees!:redhot: :lol:
Old 08-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
eric
Grizzled Veteran

eric is on a distinguished road

I agree the future is bright, what I hope will happen in the offseason is:

Wickman will decide to stay another year giving Joey Devine more time to develop.

Hampton will come back strong and reliable.

Chipper goes injury free.

They resign Andruw (although I doubt it)

Somebody who cares about winning buys this team from Time-Warner.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I agree Eric. Thanks.:thumbup:
Old 08-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Someone or some group of investors that actually cares about baseball needs to buy the Braves from Time-Warner. To TW, the Braves are just another cost-center. TW runs media outlets, print, radio, TV and cable and has no expertise in running a baseball team. They don't give the GM enough latitude to make deals -- it appears everything must be run past the board of directors.
The Braves are not without talent, to be sure. They have a lot of guys on the DL that were counted on to contribute -- Hampton leaps to mind.
If they can get their players healthy, and make some sound business decisions, they should be just fine after this little bump in the road.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The problem is that, rumor has it, the company that seems to be the top choice to buy the team is only interested in jacking up the value of the team so it can sell it again in three years.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
eric
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The problem is that, rumor has it, the company that seems to be the top choice to buy the team is only interested in jacking up the value of the team so it can sell it again in three years.
Yeah that's true, I think they are called Liberty Media Holdings or something like that, but that may be an advantage because they are willing to spend money on players to increase the value of the framchise.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #8
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

If the Braves don't win, the franchise won't appreciate in value the way the group wants it to. They'll have to be sure to put enough resources into it to bring another trip to the playoffs to Atlanta.

Catman
Old 08-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Also, just bringing in and/or retaining high priced talent doesn't necessarily boost the value of the franchise. If the team doesn't win or ends up losing 20-30 million a year as the Rangers started doing after signing A-Rod and Chan-Ho Park then the value of the team will stagnate or go down. At times signing high-priced talent can be as big of a gamble as letting it walk out the door.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
eric
Grizzled Veteran

In the Braves case what they need immediateyly to get back to the contenders they were is some starting pitching and middle relief, if they keep wickman and Baez and if Hampton and Davies come back strong and if Smoltz has another year or two left in that powerful arm and as I said before if Chipper stays healthy.

They could also use a real leadoff man.

I know a lot of ifs.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #11
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I'm definitely for a new leadoff hitter.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

They also need to get Tim Hudson turned around as well. The Braves have quite a few holes to fill in their pitching staff. They have just two pitchers who have thrown 100+ innings this year. I honestly don't have a lot of faith in Roger McDowell turning that staff around.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256 View Post
I'm definitely for a new leadoff hitter.
I'm available and can play any position they want me to.

Catman
Old 08-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #14
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

:lol:

C'mon, Catman...

You're married which means your wife threw out your cleats years ago to protect you from any male follies like this one....
Old 08-20-2006, 12:13 AM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Plus I'm 52 years old. I think I'm a bit too old to start a new career. Not to mention my knee ligament replacement surgery last summer. Maybe the Braves would be best off to look elsewhere??????

Catman