Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road
Default Baseball returns to D.C.

It's been a long time since the District had a team in the Majors. Now, after 33 years, America's national past time returns to America's capital. At Canada's expense, to boot. Frankly, the Expos leaving Montreal has been long overdue. Their attendance has been consistently abysmal and the apathy towards baseball is overwhelming. Naturally, the franchise is going to have to ditch their name. Somehow, "Expos" doesn't quite resonate as Washington's team. I think the obvious choice for a new team name would be the city's original name, "Senators." Only, I motion that this group of Senators be known as "Senators III." Given that the first two incarnations bolted town and became the Minnesota Twins and Texas Rangers, respectively, I think it's only fair. And hey, with any luck, Senators III will split town, too. If for no other reason than to continually disappoint baseball fans in DC.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Baltimore Orioles owner, Peter Angelos, would actually see to it personally that Senators III leave Washington. It was a pretty big deal for Major League Baseball to silence him as he was (and still is, I'm sure) concerned that the Expos franchise moving to DC would horn in on his Baltimore market.

The question now: Who will buy this non-Expos outfit? Technically, the team is owned by the other 29 teams in MLB. Presently, there's said to be a bid a couple bids mounting.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

Former Atlanta Braves president Stan Kasten is expected to get a group together for a bid. And I would love to see him involved in baseball. He is an excellent, excellent executive in sports (he also was president of the Hawks and Thrashers). I hated to see him go, but I'd love to see him back in baseball.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

I don't blame Montreal one bit. Sure, the fans have been fickle lately, but with all the bad ownership that city has had to endure with sports teams (see Nelson Skalbania, Montreal Allouettes, not to mention Norm Kimball), it's a surprise they had anything left to support the team the way they did in 94, before baseball destroyed their chances of going to the World Series, and financial reality caught up to them. No, not because of market size, because the ownership wasn't willing to adapt to the game as it's played today.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:28 PM   #4
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

My Washington Expos logo!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp washington expos.bmp (16.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Hero; 09-29-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 05:35 PM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Hero,

Brilliant in its simplicity and obviousness. This HAS to be the new logo.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I agree, that HAS to be the new logo, but I'd also be happy with someone stuck in traffic, drinking starbucks and listening to smooth jazz.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:59 PM   #7
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Canada's team is gone!!! Please don't blame the fans for this either. The Expos where the best team in baseball when the 1994 strike happened and it p!ssed the fans off so much.... they never came back. Also the "Big O" is a joke. I was at a few games there a couple of years ago and the place is so bad, bits of concrete missing, terrible seats... leaky roof.

Just look at this 1994 team:

Ken Hill, Pedro Martinez, Jeff Fassero and Kirk Rueter.

Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom and Moises Alou.

Darrin Fletcher, Cliff Floyd, Mike Lansing, Sean Berry and Wil Cordero.

The Expos have also produced:

Rusty Staub, Ron Fairly, Bill Stoneman, Carl Morton, Gary Carter, Steve Rogers, Larry Parrish, Andre Dawson, Jeff Reardon, Tim Raines, Bill Gullickson, Al Oliver, Tim Wallach, Andres Galarraga, Pedro Martinez, and Vladimir Guerrero.... and some guy called Randy Johnson.

Good bye Expos... gone but never forgotten.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:30 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Expos really cannot take credit for producing Pedro they got him off the Dodgers they were just the ones who decided to make him a starter. He had just established himself as a good long reliever the year before Montreal got him.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:37 PM   #9
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

How about a picture of the president for the logo? Lame???

I'd take Hero's
And what is their nickname gonna be anyway?
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 09:57 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

They have not said yet. Dan Patrick wants it to be the Washington Greys in tribute to the Negro Leagues and what they have meant to the African American sports culture and hitory. I hope they come up with something better than the Senators though.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 11:44 PM   #11
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I have heard that the new team will be called the "Nationals", and the new ownership must have a new stadium plan, complete with financing, and renovate RFK to make it usable during the construction of the new stadium.
Hero, I like your logo, and it could be used for the new team. Perhaps you should submit it when they ask for suggestions.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't mind having them be called the Senators or Nationals as a throwback to the past. Then again, both Senators teams ended up elsewhere so perhaps that is setting them up for failure.

I said it on here awhile ago but I'll say it again, RFK Stadium is a dump. When I pasted it in April I found it hard to believe that it was still usable for soccer let alone viable for baseball.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:16 PM   #13
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

I'm telling you guys, "Senators III"
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #14
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Apparently they'll be called the Expos until a new owner is found who may rename the team. It's still for them to be called the Expos though since the team was named after Montreal's Expo '67, it has no meaning in Washington, D.C.

Really, this should've been done SO LONG ago. What was the point of waiting this long? If there wasn't an obvious conspiracy to destroy the Expos (playing 70% of their games away from home, their competitors owning them, etc.), they would've made the playoffs even last year and even on their tight budget. So, I don't blame the 27,000 fans that showed up for their last ever home game yesterday but not for the game previous to that (3,000 fans). They were treated like $^!% over the past three or four years; why would you support them?? But anyone who says Montreal is not a big league city is dead wrong. 40-some straight sell-outs for CFL games of 20,202 fans, plus the biggest ever CFL Grey Cup game turnout at over 66,000 in 2001 (plus 55,000/playoff game each of past two years)... and getting in the high 90's in capacity of their 21,000-seat NHL arena, the league's 2nd or 3rd largest. Great turnout rates last year even in baseball with 30,000/game in series versus Philadelphia and Atlanta when the Expos WERE in a playoff race and had the best player in baseball and of their 30-some years in the majors in Geurrero.

As one sign said yesterday at the game: "1994 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS."

R.I.P., Expos.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #15
BaseballBoards
Banned

BaseballBoards is on a distinguished road

Like Tony Kornheiser said.... The Washington Yinkees! lol
BaseballBoards is offline   Reply With Quote