Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-15-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about
Default Disturbing stuff boys and girls.

Got this link off of Kevin Smith's page. Wow. I'll just let you guys get a load of it before we start discussing.

We'll be living in a police state before you know it.

edit: don't turn the volume up at work. Some choice language

Nice show of force by police
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

That kid is going to get paid.

I can't profess to being tazed before, but I would imagine that once you get lit up you'd need a couple of minutes to collect yourself. I don't quite understand why they kept hitting him with the tazer gun. It is not as if he was posing a threat to anyone, from what I could tell it looked like he was already cuffed. It is like they were lighting him up for being uncooperative.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

I don't get it doublee. I'm like you. They had the kid in cuffs. He said he was leaving, but they kept hitting him. Kept telling him to get up. I dunno, but I don't think I would be able to walk for a few minutes after getting tazed the 1st time. Much less the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. (was there a 5th?)

You can tell the kid was in agony. What were those idiots thinking?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Now freaking way should that ish be tolerated anywhere. No one was in danger not the officers, the other students in the library, or the victim. Yes victim.
Amazing I had to hear about something like this on a sports message board. Am I the only one who hasn't seen this being reported on the networks? I very well could have missed it but, I would think something like this would be "headline news" worthy.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

1st time I heard of it was tonight mush. Rumor I'm hearing is the big issue was he didn't show his student ID. Doing some more research into the matter right now.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Yup. It all stemmed from the kid not producing his ID. Unreal.

http://dailybruin.com/news/articles.asp?id=38958
Old 12-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
I can't profess to being tazed before, but I would imagine that once you get lit up you'd need a couple of minutes to collect yourself.
Actually, not true. Getting tazed is unbelievable pain (while you are being tazed) once it stops the pain is immediatly gone (like you were never tazed at all).

Now I don't know what the kid did in the 1st place, but why he did not standup when the officers ordered him to was a mystery to me. I couldn't count how many times they ordered him to standup. They should of just dragged him out in cuffs instead of tazing him IMO. Or pepper sprayed him.

EDIT: His ID? Wonder why he did not present it. This is an intersting story.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 12-15-2006 at 09:57 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:43 AM   #8
Ravana
Revolution w/b improvised

Ravana is on a distinguished road

Depends on the of taser; some seem to disrupt the nervous system and take you down. (Don't know for sure; just basing that on the reactions I've seen.) On the other hand, I used to know a bartender who'd shoot himself, anytime, for anyone... or let them use their own, if they had them. Didn't phase him a bit. As I said on another thread, pain is just pain.

If he was already cuffed, pepper spray would've been unjustified... and repeated tasing unjustified at the least, in addition to counterproductive, if they wanted him to stand up. Hitting him is out of the question in any event. If they wanted him down, they can pile on him; if they wanted him up, they can drag him to his feet.

And if they wanted to see his ID, he's gonna have a hard time reaching in his pockets while cuffed....

Seriously, though: police brutality is police brutality. This was inexcusable, plain and simple, doubly so if he was not resisting—and had not resisted (nobody's mentioned this; I can't view youtube, so I don't know if he did or not). Can you say "Rodney King"? I knew you could....

What were they thinking? They weren't. If they were, they'd've realized they were being filmed and not done this crap. They can always wait until they get to the station before they start in on somebody.... ("Pass that broom handle, would ya, Bob?" "Are you kidding? I'm not touching that... not after where it's been!")
Old 12-16-2006, 03:19 AM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I've been tazed before (no guys... not by a cop!!!:lol It was for training - we were tazed and pepper sprayed. As for your bartender friend - huh... I wonder what kind it was - doubt it was the same ones cops use (if so, he's crazy!!! )

There are just many unanswered questions here. My question is: "Why did you not stand up when ordered to?" Not saying that justifies being tazed, but what was the deal? Also, if you didn't have your ID, why did you not leave when asked to by UCLA Security (before the cops showed up). I know when I go to the gym, if I forget my ID I don't expect to use the facility.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #10
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I've heard about this story. The guy was being a total prick and security went overboard.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:43 AM   #11
kirby
Banned

kirby is an unknown quantity at this point

Listen to that retard.

"THERE'S YOUR PATRIOT ACT!!!!!!!!!"

:lol:

The loser in question denied repeated requests to present ID. Fact is he became progressively more beligerant in his DENIAL to act on a given order. Last I checked, police orders are not optional. As he became more beligerant a crowd was drawn to the scene and the officers believed the situation could escalate into a bigger group problem, so they tasered him. Fully justified. If a person uses resistance then officers are trained that they ought to RAISE the force level at least a notch higher than the offender, in order to control the situation and prevent it from dragging on.

Once tasered a person fully recovers in a matter of seconds. The jerk off was then ORDERED many many times to get up and he would not follow the police order. He failed to cooperate and was a major drama queen to boot. The police are not obligated to drag him out of the place. It is HIS ORDER to get up and leave. The officer's response here was fully justified.

Trespassing, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, refusing police order, desisting arrest.

But the police are the bad guys?

Hahaha, funny.

I wonder how they treat "disruptive" students in Iran?
kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #12
eman484
The Steel Jaw

eman484 is on a distinguished road

I got to say that Kirby makes some very good points there. I mean police are trained to take any necessary means when it comes to awkward situations at schools as a result of the school violence in this country. The kid should have left when first ordered and not waited for the police to get there. Then when the cops came, he tried to run out, well obviously they weren't there just to tell him to leave, they probably had some questions for him. Then for him to yell "Get the F>>> off me" to a cop. Which he did before he ever got tasered. That is just stupid, now he is resisting arrest and being uncooperative with police. I say the first taze was completely justified. Then, the moron should have got up when they asked him too. If you are composed enough to ***** about the Patriot Act for 5 minutes then you can probably get yourself out of the building. I am not sure how many times police tazed him, but throughout the whole process of them asking him to stand up, never once did he say I can't. It seemed almost as if he was resisting standing up. I don't really know about tasers but what a couple guys on this thread said seems to be right. Usually after the taze is over, a person should be completely coherent. I have seen a bunch of episodes of cops where they used them, and the guys was right up on his feet walking a moment later. The kid dragged it out way longer than he should of. But, in our world, where we always want to stick it to the person in charge, I am sure this will be turned into the driving force behind police brutality. Give me a break.

Act like a human and do what your told when the police are around.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:17 AM   #13
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

This video is inconclusive regarding abuse by the police. It starts after the incident has already begun, you rarely get a clear view of what is happening.

That said, it looked and sounded to me like it may have been a case of both sides being in the wrong.

The student (or whoever they were arresting) clearly seems to be resisting. It may have been a passive resistance, but resistance nonetheless.

The police seemed to have had him cuffed, I'm not sure why they didn't just drag him or carry him out. There may be policy involved in their decision, I have no clue. If there was not, I think they should have just grabbed him and pulled him out by force rather than the multiple tasings followed by orders to get up. That may have been abusive, or not; I've never been tased, I don't know what rules or laws there are regarding tasing, so I can't speak with any real knowledge about it.

I question both why the police used those tactics, and why the student repeatedly refused their orders. Very curious what will come of this, again, it looked bad on both sides to me.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Nothing shocks me this day and time.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Children in Westwood have it so hard.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote