Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-28-2001, 03:21 PM   #1
Jersey Devil
All-Star Player

Jersey Devil is on a distinguished road
Default Other NBA trades ....

NOTE: I do end up mentioning all of them, though many are mentioned in other posts

Atlanta Hawks Traded forward-center Lorenzen Wright, guard Brevin Knight and the rights to forward Pau Gasol to the Vancouver Grizzlies for forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim and the rights to guard Jamaal Tinsley.
ADVANTAGE: HAWKS!

Chicago Bulls Traded forward Elton Brand to the Los Angeles Clippers for forward Brian Skinner and the rights to forward-center Tyson Chandler.
ADVANTAGE: CLIPPERS!

Denver Nuggets Traded a future first-round pick to the Orlando Magic for the rights to guard Omar Cook.
ADVANTAGE: I have NO clue ...

Houston Rockets Traded a future first-round pick to the Atlanta Hawks for the rights to forward Terence Morris.
ADVANTAGE: ROCKETS! Last year, Morris was going to be a top 5 pick, and even though he had a down year, this trade makes Steve Francis VERY happy!

New Jersey Nets Traded the rights to forward Eddie Griffin to the Houston Rockets for the rights to swingman Richard Jefferson, center Jason Collins and guard Brandon Armstrong.
ADVANTAGE: ROCKETS!

Orlando Magic Traded center Michael Doleac to the Cleveland Cavaliers for the rights to center Brendan Haywood.
ADVANTAGE: SIXERS! Doleac was killing them ...

Sacramento Kings Traded guards Jason Williams and Nick Anderson to the Vancouver Grizzlies for guards Mike Bibby and Brent Price.
ADVANTAGE: KINGS!

Seattle SuperSonics Traded the rights to swingman Bobby Simmons to the Washington Wizards for the rights to forward Predrag Drobnjak.
ADVANTAGE: I have NO clue ....

Who has the advantage in these trades, in YOUR opinion?
Old 06-28-2001, 04:50 PM   #2
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Spike is on a distinguished road
Default Omar Cook trade

Quote:
Originally posted by Jersey Devil:

Denver Nuggets Traded a future first-round pick to the Orlando Magic for the rights to guard Omar Cook.
ADVANTAGE: I have NO clue ...
I heard that Omar Cook can't shoot from outside worth a lick. And in the N.B.A., if you're a guard (point guard or shooting guard), you have to able to shoot because these days defenses are so sophisicated in rotation if they double team that they'll leave you open and if they play you straight up, they'll sag of off you daring you to shoot the ball. Also if you can't shoot from the outside, that negates you're ability to drive to the basket because the defensive man already has a step advantage on you because he's laying back.

And Denver's not exactly a great team.

I don't know exactly what year this first-rounder that Denver traded to the Magic is supposed to be but to bad teams, first rounders are gold. That could end up being a high pick for the Magic in the future.

ADVANTAGE: Orlando Magic
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 12:54 AM   #3
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Default Suns trading Kidd to the Nets for Marbury

Another N.B.A. trade I'd like to report. Although this won't be officially announced until July 18, like the Shareef trade.

The Phoenix Suns send Jason Kidd to the New Jersey Nets in exchange for Stephon Marbury.

Anybody with any thoughts on this trade?

I like Marbury, but I'd rather have Kidd. His outside shot and scoring is inconsistent sometimes, but Kidd's just such a great passer and physical presence, he makes all of his teammates better.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:34 PM   #4
Jersey Devil
All-Star Player

Default I'd rather have Kidd on my team ....

But my team is the Sixers. Who got the best in this trade? The Suns, if anybody.

On a team like the Nets, Jason Kidd will be the man. The PG, who leads the league in assists most years, will have nobody to pass to in NJ. Marbury carried the team for the past few years with his scoring AND assists. Can Kidd put up 25 points / 10 assists / 5 rebounds on a daily basis? I dunno ...
Old 06-29-2001, 12:40 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Kidd vs. Marbury

Both are great point guards, but both are different players. If my team needed a great passing, strong presence in its point guard, the pick would be Kidd - but if my team needed scoring and athleticism, Marbury would be guy.

I like Marbury best because no only is he several years younger than Kidd, but he can provide instant offense.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 02:58 PM   #6
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

O like Marbury much better, but was there a real point to this trade? I mean the Nets are still gonna lose 55 games and the Suns will have another early playoff exit, thsi trade really made no sense to me, I could understand if they wanted a bigger scorer, but what about free agency? they could pick up Alllan Houston or something, somebody please explain this trade to me.
Old 06-29-2001, 04:31 PM   #7
Jersey Devil
All-Star Player

Default ANOTHER interesting NBA trade ....

The Suns traded Cliff Robinson to Detroit for John Wallace and Jud Buechler. Somebody please explain THIS trade to me!

Why such a roster turnover by the Suns and Nets, who are rumored to be trading Van Horn next?
Old 06-29-2001, 06:28 PM   #8
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Default Re: ANOTHER interesting NBA trade ....

Quote:

The Suns traded Cliff Robinson to Detroit for John Wallace and Jud Buechler. Somebody please explain THIS trade to me!
I don't understand that trade by Phoenix at all. I like Uncle Cliffy a lot. Talk about a versatile player that can play the 3, 4, and 5 positions, can hit the outside shot for a big man and can post up. I remember when he first came into the N.B.A. from UConn, there was talk that he could be soft, but he's really turned out to be a nice player.

And all you got back for him is John Wallace and Jud Buechler?

The only thing I can think of with this trade and Kidd's trade is I remember Jerry Colangelo, the Phoenix Suns' owner (and also the Arizona Diamondbacks' owner) said earlier in the year he was tired of his sports athletes getting into trouble and having it be bad publicity (ie. Kidd beat his wife) for his sports teams so maybe he's getting rid of these guys because they're "character" problems off the court and off the field. I wonder if Clifford Robinson's been in trouble with the law before. I thought I heard he was in trouble for something not too long ago, like several months ago.

Last edited by Spike; 06-29-2001 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:37 PM   #9
Jersey Devil
All-Star Player

Default Just saw it on ESPN ...

They mentioned Pheonix getting rid of their "problem" players.

They also mentioned that the Robinson move was a "cost-cutting" effort.
Old 06-30-2001, 05:33 AM   #10
Spike
N.B.A. Moderator

Default Phoenix Suns

Quote:

They mentioned Pheonix getting rid of their "problem" players.
I wonder if this also means that Penny Hardaway is the next to go because remember the police cited him for waving a gun and threatening his girlfriend, although eventually she refused to press charges.

Quote:
They also mentioned that the Robinson move was a "cost-cutting" effort.
Yup, I just heard something like that too. I heard that Jud Buechler and John Wallace have contracts that end after this coming season so the Suns should have some money to get under the cap to go after free agents like Vince Carter next Summer.