Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-15-2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Second half trends

No more bye weeks, it's time for the true contenders to step up and the pretenders to take a backseat. Who do you guys see as emerging from the pack, and who will recede back into mediocrity? Two teams who are in trouble are the Jets (Carter at QB equals disaster, and does Martin have his legs still?) and the Vikings (three-game losing streak, no Randy Moss, poor defense). It should also be interesting to see if the Chargers can continue their winning ways. We've already see the rise and fall of the Seahawks, as well.

Of course, I have to mention the Packers and their four-game winning streak. Are they for real? The offense is as good as any, and the defense is improving, although still vulnerable, especially at the safeties. But first-round pick CB Ahmad Carroll is looking good as a regular starter beside Al Harris, and the D-line is doing better with Grady Jackson.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
Joepritch2
Grizzled Veteran

Joepritch2 is on a distinguished road

They just have to remember to play 4 quarters next week.
Joepritch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Giants, Lions, and Buccaneers, all teams thought to be in contention a week ago, can all be swept under the rug imo.

The Vikes still have the potential to win the division, but scoring too quickly to tie the game last night was their undoing. I couldn't believe it. I screamed "Touchdown Vikings!" and immediately followed with "Oh, no! They left over a minute on the clock! Another last second loss!" Lo and behold.

And what is it with Minn-GB games that they have the worst officiating crew/calls surrounding their games? Just terrible stuff by that crew throughout the quarter and a half or so that I actually watched.

Dave
Old 11-17-2004, 03:33 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

With Minnesota's loss at Lambeau, albeit covering, warm-weather and indoor teams are now 0-4 straight up and 1-3 against the spread in cold-weather games so far this year, and have been outscored 132 to 61 doing it.

And this week four such games are on tap: Dallas at Baltimore, St. Louis at Buffalo, Indianapolis at Chicago, and Atlanta at the New York Football Giants (with the latter game in the late time slot, making it even colder at kickoff time).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:32 AM   #5
timmyg
Sports Enthusiast

timmyg is on a distinguished road

i predict kansas city to have a better 2nd half season
although they're 3-6 and basically out of the playoffs
as long a priest holmes returns soon and starts rushing for 4 TDs a game again they'll probly win more than they'll lose

the jets might have a 2nd wind when pennington comes back

and although the vikings are recently called overrated i think a healthy return of moss will mean a positive next 6 weeks for them
timmyg is offline   Reply With Quote