Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-07-2002, 07:07 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Question 2002 Pro football Rankings Week 9

Rankings reflect all games played from Sept. 5th throught Nov. 4th. Rankings are based on won-loss record, points scored, points allowed and many other factors. See where your team is ranked and why.

1.-GREEN BAY PACKERS--(7-1)-.875-(PF-227-PA-164)-Packers beat Miami at home in Green Bay, 24-10. Pack is 4-0 at home. Quarterback Brett Favre started his NFL record setting 165th straight game. He's still not fully recovered from a knee injury he suffered a couple of weeks ago. Favre completed 16-of-25 for 187 yards and one touchdown. He threw one interception. Running back Ahman Green rushed for 72 yards on 19 carries and scored one touchdown rushing and receiving. He caught six passes for 71 yards. He becoming an all-purpose back for sure. Green Bay's defense played very well, as Darren Sharper returned a 89-yard interception for a touchdown. Next game Nov. 10th against Detroit at Green Bay. I pick Green Bay to win.

2.-DENVER BRONCOS--(6-2)-.750-(PF-207-PA-170)-Broncos had a bye this past weekend. Denver ranks first in overall defense in the AFC, allowing 270.8 yards per game. Receiver Rod Smith leads the team in receptions with 49 and receiving yards with 541 yards. He has scored two touchdowns. Next game Nov. 11th against Oakland on MNF in Denver. I pick Denver to win.

3.-NEW ORLEANS SAINTS--(6-2)-.750-(PF-256-PA-209)-Saints enjoyed a bye this weekend. They rank fifth in passing offense in the NFC, averaging 219.8 yards per game. Next game Nov. 10th against Carolina in Carolina. I pick new Orleans to win.

4.-PHILADELPHIA EAGLES--(6-2)-.750-(PF-221-PA-118)-Eagles came from behind and beat a feisty Chicago Bears team, 19-13 at Chicago. Field goal kicker David Akers was a busy beaver, kicking four field goals to help put the Eagles over the top. Quarterback Donovan McNabb passed for 209 yards, and ran for 46 more, scoring a rushing touchdown. Next game Nov. 10th against Indianapolis at Philadelphia. I pick Indianapolis to win.

5.-SAN FRANCISCO 49ers--(6-2)-.750-(PF-203-PA-164)-49ers won the "Battle of the Bay" by beating Oakland, 23-20 in overtime at Oakland. Field goal kicker Jose Cortez, kicked a 23-yard field goal to win the game for his team. Quarterback Jeff Garcia was 25-of-36 for 282 yards and two touchdowns. great game for him. Receiver Terrell Owens had an incredible game too, catching 12 passes for 191 yards, but no touchdowns. Next game Nov. 10th against Kansas City at SF. I pick KC to win.

6.TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS--(7-2)-.778-(PF-203-PA-109)-Bucs beat Minnesota, 38-24 at Tampa Bay. Bucs are now in sole possession of first place in the NFC South by a half of game over New Orleans. Tampa Bay finally showed some offense, rolling 446 yards in offense. Quarterback Brad Johnson completed an amazing 24-of-31 for 313 yards, and five touchdowns. Wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson caught two of those touchdown passes. He caught nine passes for 133 yards too. On defense defensive end Simeon Rice registered two sacks on the day. Enjoys a bye this coming week.

7.-SAN DIEGO CHARGERS--(6-2)-.857-(PF-186-PA-163)-Chargers were upset by the New York Jets, 44-13 at home in San Diego. Chargers lost two fumbles and quarterback Drew Brees had two of his passes intercepted. Rough day all the way around for San Diego. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson rushed for 60 yards on 12 carries and had one rushing touchdown. Next game Nov. 10th against St. Louis in St. Louis. I pick St. Louis to win.

8.-MIAMI DOLPHINS--(5-3)-.625-(PF-200-PA-167)-Dolphins lost to Green Bay in the cold, 24-10 at Green Bay. Team just isn't the same with quarterback Jay Feidler. Backup quarterback Ray Lucas, threw two interceptions on the night, completing 22-of-39 for 198 yards. Wide receiver Chris Carter, who came out of retirement to play for Miami, caught three passes for 31 yards. Linebacker Zach Thomas led the Miami defense with 12 tackles. Next game Nov. 10th against the New York Jets at New York. I pick Miami to win.

9.-PITTSBURGH STEELERS--(5-3)-.625-(PF-192-PA-160)-Steelers beat Cleveland, 23-20 in Cleveland. Quarterback Tommy Maddox continues to lead his team to victories. He was 23-of-42 for 239 yards and two touchdowns. He tossed one interception though. Steelers running back Amos Zereoue, rushed for 111 yards on 29 carries. Wide receiver Hines Ward caught nine passes for 79 yards and one touchdown. Steelers field goal kicker, Todd Peterson kicked three out of four field goals on the day. He had 11 points on the day. Steelers defense held Cleveland to 36 yards rushing on the day. Defensive end Aaron Smith had two sacks on the day for the Pitt defense. He's in his third year in the NFL, playing his college ball for Northern Colorado. Next game Nov. 10th against Atlanta in Pittsburgh. I pick Atlanta to win.

10.-ATLANTA FALCONS--(5-3)-.625-(PF-187-PA-136)-Falcons beat Baltimore, 20-17 at Atlanta. They have won four straight now. Haven't done that since 1998, the year they went to the Super Bowl. Quarterback Michael Vick didn't have his best game, but they still won nonetheless. Vick was 12-of-24 for 136 yards and he threw one interception. Rookie running back T.J. Duckett, out of the University of Michigan State, rushed for 75 yards on 13 carries and he scored one rushing touchdown. Atlanta's defense had six sacks on the day. Defensive end Patrick Kerney had two of them. Next game Nov. 10th against Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh.

11.-NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS--(4-4)-.500-(PF-206-PA-165)-Apparently, that bye week really helped the Patriots. They crushed Buffalo, 38-7 at Buffalo. Quarterback Tom Brady regained his 2001 form, and completed 23-of-27 for 310 yards and threw four touchdowns. He was on the mark all day long. Running back Antowain Smith regained his 2001 form too, by rushing for 111 yards on 29 carries and scored one rushing touchdown. He also caught two touchdown passes. Patriots defense had four sacks on Drew Bledsoe and intercepted one pass too. Next game Nov. 10th against Chicago at Chicago. I pick Chicago to win.

12.-KANSAS CITY CHIEFS--(4-4)-.500-(PF-259-PA-240)-Chiefs enjoyed a bye this past weekend. Running back Priest Holmes still leads the NFL in rushing with 857 yards. Quarterback Trent Green has completed 154 passes out of 244 attempts, for 1,864 yards so far this season. Green has thrown 16 touchdown passes. He has a quarterback rating of 91.3. Next game Nov. 10th against San Francisco at SF.

13-BUFFALO BILLS--(5-4)-.556-(PF-248-PA-269)-Bills were embarrassed, and beat up by New England, 38-7 in front of their home crowd. Bills quarterback and ex-Patriot, Drew Bledsoe really wanted to win this game, but it wasn't meant to be. Bledsoe was 28-of-45 for 302 yards. He threw one touchdown and one interception. He still leads the NFL in passing yardage with 2,802 yards. Right now he is projected to pass for almost 5,000 yards if he keeps this pace up. Wide receiver Peerless Price was his main receiver Sunday, catching nine passes for 98 yards and one touchdown. Buffalo enjoys a needed bye this week.

14.-NEW YORK GIANTS--(4-4)-.500-(PF-113-PA-132)-Giants beat Jacksonville, 24-17 at New York. New York had 26 first downs to the Jaguars 16. Quarterback Kerry Collins completed 20-of-28 for 228 yards and one touchdown. Running back Tiki Barber rushed for 101 yards on 19 carries and scored two rushing touchdowns. Next game Nov. 10th against Minnesota at Minnesota. I pick Minnesota to win.

15.-ST. LOUIS RAMS--(3-5)-.375-(PF-166-PA-172)-The best 3-5 team in all of football. The Rams won their third in a row, beating Arizona, 27-14 at Arizona. Running back Marshall Faulk rushed for 178 yards on 27 carries and scored one rushing touchdown. He now ranks second in the NFC in rushing with 780 yards, trailing only the Saints Deuce McAllister. Rams quarterback, Marc Bulger was 20-of-29 for 245 yards and two touchdown passes. He did throw two interceptions. Next game Nov. 10th against San Diego at St. Louis.

16.-CLEVELAND BROWNS--(4-5)-.444-(PF-205-PA-195)-Browns lost to Pittsburgh, 23-20 in Cleveland. Quarterback Tim Couch was 15-of-24 for 181 yards and two touchdown passes. But he threw two interceptions. Wide receiver Quincy Morgan caught four passes for 98 yards and one touchdown. Browns defensive end Courtney Brown, led the defense with 10 tackles. He had two sacks and forced a fumble. Enjoys a bye this coming week.

17.-OAKLAND RAIDERS--(4-4)-.500-(PF-226-PA-188)-Raiders lost their fourth in a row, losing to SF Sunday, 23-20. Tasteless Fan Award: Raiders fan takes game real personal by hitting the father of 49ers center Jeremy Newberry over the head with a beer bottle after the game. Quarterback Rich Gannon had a quiet game for him, by passing for only 164 yards. It's like the Raiders have forgot how to score, and score often. What's surprising is, the Raiders still lead the AFC in overall offense, averaging 407.4 yards per game. But yards aren't touchdowns. Next game Nov. 11th against Denver on MNF in Denver.

18.-INDIANAPOLIS COLTS--(4-4)-.500-(PF-160-PA-167)-Head coach Tony Dungy's magic is not working in Indianapolis either. They lost to Tennessee, 23-15 at Indianapolis. Quarterback Peyton Manning had a big offensive game, by completing 37-of-50 for 327 yards and two touchdowns. He threw one interception. Wide receiver Marvin Harrison caught 11 passes for 99 yards and one touchdown. Harrison leads the NFL in receptions with 69. Next game Nov. 10th against Philadelphia at Philly.

19.-WASHINGTON REDSKINS--(4-4)-.500-(PF-155-PA-191)-Redskins beat Seattle, 14-3 at Seattle. Redskins quarterback Shane Matthews wasn't at his very best, but he completed 10-of-27 for 114 yards and two touchdowns. He tossed one interception. Running back Kenny Watson playing in place of the injured Stephen Davis, rushed for 110 yards on 23 carries. Cornerback Fred Smoot led the Redskins defense with 11 tackles and ageless defensive end Bruce Smith had two sacks and a forced fumble. Next game Nov. 10th against Jacksonville at Jacksonville. I pick Jacksonville to win.

20.-ARIZONA CARDINALS--(4-4)-.500-(PF-150-PF-158)-Cardinals beaten by a resurgent St. Louis team, 27-14 at Arizona. Cardinals had only 13 firstdowns the entire game. Could only muster 64 yards on the ground. Wide receiver Frank Sanders caught six passes for 67 yards on one touchdown for Arizona. Cornerback David Barrett, Cardinals, picked off Marc Bulger's pass and flipped the ball to teammate Justin Lucas, who ran 35 yards for a touchdown against the Rams. Next game Nov. 10th against Seattle at home. I pick Seattle to win.

21.-JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS--(3-5)-.375-(PF-164-PA-157)-Jags got beat by the New York Giants, 24-17 at New York. Quarterback Mark Brunell completed 23-of-38 for 230 yards and two touchdowns. His wide receiver, Jimmy Smith caught 10 passes for 123 yards and one touchdown. Next game Nov. 10th against Washington in Jacksonville.

22.-BALTIMORE RAVENS--(3-5)-.375-(PF-139-PA-162)-Ravens beat by Atlanta, 20-17 in Atlanta. Baltimore wide receiver Travis Taylor caught four passes for 127 yards and one touchdown. Taylor is in his second year in the NFL, out of the University of Florida. Ravens are really missing the services of linebacker Ray Lewis. Next game Nov. 10th against Cincinnati in Baltimore. I pick Baltimore to win.

23.-CAROLINA PANTHERS--(3-5)-.375-(PF-111-PA-117)-Panthers enjoyed a bye this past weekend. Not really sure if they enjoyed it or not. Linebacker Dan Morgan is the leading tackler on the defense with 49 tackles, but will be out three to four weeks with a groin injury. Next game Nov. 10th against New Orleans at Carolina.

24.-DETROIT LIONS--(3-5)-.375-(PF-158-PA-220)-The game between Detroit and Dallas this weekend was as fun as watching paint dry on a wall. The Lions prevailed, winning 9-7 at home. Lions have now won three straight games at home. Field goal kicker Jason Hanson accounted for all the Lions points, and kicked the winning field goal in the fourth quarter. It was a 43-yarder. Lions defense came up with five sacks on the day against Dallas. Linebacker Donte Curry had two of those sacks and led the defense with eight tackles. Next game Nov. 10th against Green Bay at in Green Bay.

25.-TENNESSEE TITANS--(4-4)-.500-(PF-183-PF-212)-Titans beat Indianapolis, 23-15 at Indianapolis. Titans defense really played a huge role in this win. Linebacker Keith Bulluck returned a fumble 61 yards for one touchdown, and linebacker Peter Sirmon's interception led to a second touchdown for Tennessee. Sirmon led the defense with 12 tackles. He's in his second year in the NFL, out of the University of Oregon. Tennessee now is tied for first place in the AFC South with Indy. Next game Nov. 10th against Houston in Tennessee. I pick Tennessee to win.

26.-NEW YORK JETS--(3-5)-.375-(PF-160-PA-206)-Jets really shocked the football world by beating San Diego, 44-13 in San Diego. Where did the offense come from all of a sudden? Quarterback Chad Pennington completed 28-of-37 for 253 yards and one touchdown. It was running back LaMont Jordan(5-10-230), who rushed for 107 yards on 13 carries, and not Curtis Martin. Jordan also scored one rushing touchdown. Martin gained only 37 yards, but he also scored a touchdown. Jets linebacker James Darling grabbed an interception and returned it for a 38-yard gain. Next game Nov. 10th against Miami at New York.

27.-DALLAS COWBOYS--(3-6)-.333-(PF-115-PA-155)-Cowboys are in serious trouble. They not only lost to Detroit, 9-7, but they lost their offense somewhere down the road. Owner Jerry Jones needs to make some moves and soon. Has a bye this coming week. Go find a quarterback somewhere this week, please!

28.-MINNESOTA VIKINGS--(2-6)-.250-(PF-186-PA-230)-Vikings lost to Tampa Bay, 38-24 in Tampa. Vikings rolled up 393 yards on offense, but it just wasn't enough. Running back Michael Bennett is starting to come into his own. He rushed for 114 yards on 10 carries. He scored a rushing touchdown. Vikings have lost 14 consecutive regular-season road games, and the Vikings are 0-5 all-time at Raymond James Stadium. Next game Nov. 10th against the New York Giants at Minnesota.

29.-SEATTLE SEAHAWKS--(2-6)-.250-(PF-145-PA-180)-Seahawks lost to Washington, 14-3 at Seattle. Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck put up some good offensive numbers, but couldn't lead his team to a touchdown. He was 28-of-44 for 264 yards. Wide receiver Koren Robinson, Seattle, had a career high eight catches for 100 yards. Seahawks probably lost linebacker Chad Brown for the season with a broken foot. Next game Nov. 10th against Arizona in Arizona.

30.-CHICAGO BEARS--(2-6)-.250-(PF-152-PA-199)-Bears lost to Philadelphia, 19-13 at Chicago. Safety Mike Green, Bears, led the defense with 13 tackles and defensive end Phillip Daniels registered two sacks for his team. Next game Nov. 10th against New England at Chicago.

31.-CINCINNATI BENGALS--(1-7)-.125-(PF-113-PA-214)-Bengals escaped last place in my rankings, by beating up on Houston, 38-3. Good for you Bengals! Quarterback Jon Kitna completed 22-of-27 for 263 yards and four touchdowns. He's a good quarterback, but he's cold and hot too often. Wide receiver Peter Warrick, Bengals, caught seven passes for 86 yards and one touchdown. Running back Corey Dillon rushed for 92 yards. Now has 694 yards rushing on the year. Cornerback Artrell Hawkins, Bengals, returned an interception 102 yards for a touchdown. Wow! By the way the Bengals are 6-0 against expansion teams lifetime. Next game Nov. 10th against Baltimore at Baltimore.

32.-HOUSTON TEXANS--(2-6)-.250-(PF-107-PA-214)-Texans shot down by Cincinnati, 38-3 in Houston. Rookie quarterback David Carr completed 18-of-32 for 199 yards, but threw two interceptions. Wide receiver Corey Bradford, Texans, caught five passes for 53 yards. Houston linebacker Jay Foreman, led the defense with 12 tackles. He's in his third year in the NFL out of Nebraska. Next game Nov. 10th against Tennessee at Tennessee.

Written by:Keith Thronson Mobile, Alabama
Old 11-08-2002, 12:18 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Well done... personally, I think the Lions ought to be moved down a bit and the Titans moved up. The Bengals better enjoy their time as not last!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:40 AM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2002 Pro football Rankings Week 9

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
29.-SEATTLE SEAHAWKS--(2-6)-.250-(PF-145-PA-180)-Seahawks lost to Washington, 14-3 at Seattle. Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck put up some good offensive numbers, but couldn't lead his team to a touchdown. He was 28-of-44 for 264 yards. Wide receiver Koren Robinson, Seattle, had a career high eight catches for 100 yards. Seahawks probably lost linebacker Chad Brown for the season with a broken foot. Next game Nov. 10th against Arizona in Arizona.
Yeah so the Seahawks might suck.... but the Sonics are OFF DA HOOK!!

LOL - seriously though.... I'm very dissapointed with my Hawks this season... nothing seems to be going right both on and off the field.

We might even get a new head coach/GM next season if things don't improve

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:37 PM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

I really thought Seattle would have a good year. I don't think head coach Mike Holmgren is the genius some that he is. He just had a great team while in Green Bay.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:53 PM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Yeah man, move my Titans up! If they playoffs started today they would be in as the #6 seed......that would make them a top 12 team! But in all honesty I think moving them up 5 slots to #20 is more reasonable for the Titans.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:13 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

Yeah don't get too excited about them just yet. Let's see how week 10 plays out. I'm picking them to win. So they better not let me down lol