Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 01-24-2006, 04:18 PM   #31
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawndo
He was already a superstar, now the Jordan comparisons are starting to carry more weight.
I guess now it's a feather instead of thin air...

Kobe had a crazy night, but he's not even close to Jordan. Not even close. I've said it before, but Kobe's place in history is closer to Tracy McGrady than #23. That's not a slight on Kobe as much as it is a testament to how great Jordan was.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #32
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

No way is Kobe close to Jordan. There was and will only be 1 Jordan. There are at least 5 Kobe's in the league.... but remember, we say 5 "Kobe's"... not 5 T-mac's, or 5 James'... so they do compare to Kobe - but - yeah, there are plenty players like him. That make sense?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 PM   #33
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Definitely a great feat. I love how ESPN is trying to hype this as the greatest game ever by a NBA player. Come on, it was the Raptors. Do it against a team that actually matters then we can talk about it being the greatest game by a player.

The Kobe/MJ comparisons will carry more weight once he actually wins a ring as the top dawg as opposed to being 1A.

How about Vince Carter running smack on Kobe for being a bad teammate for scoring 81? I almost fell out of my chair when I heard Vince Carter, of all people, criticizing Kobe for being a bad teammate. Vince needs to look in the mirror as I seem to recall him mailing it in with the Raptors so they would trade him last year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:34 PM   #34
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but with all the bad teams and all the great shooters over the years, no one else has done it. Whether it's the Raptors or the Pistons, scoring 81 points against an NBA team is unbelievable.

This isn't Wilt, where he towered over the competition. Kobe was just flat out amazing.

And I hate Kobe Bryant.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:47 PM   #35
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

Kobe's place in history is closer to McGrady than Jordan? Wow...what a horrific slight on a guy who's won 3 rings already. Before you say it was because Shaq was in the middle, I'll simply reply...would Shaq have won 3 rings without Kobe? No...don't think so. In the same vein, would Jordan have won 6 rings without Scottie Pippen? Somehow I doubt it.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #36
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken
I guess now it's a feather instead of thin air...

Kobe had a crazy night, but he's not even close to Jordan. Not even close. I've said it before, but Kobe's place in history is closer to Tracy McGrady than #23. That's not a slight on Kobe as much as it is a testament to how great Jordan was.
Well, the number of people who would disagree with that statement, I think is growing by the day.
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:10 PM   #37
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Well Shawn, let's not kid ourselves. Jordan was a jerk to his teammates. A huge jerk. I think the number of stories about fights between him and his teammates that were never made public would be staggering.

If Jordan had the talent of a run of the mill all-star, and not of one of the top-3 players of all time, he would have bounced from team to team because no one would have been able to stand him.

But Jordan made his teammates better, and no matter what you say about Kobe and how talented he is, he does not make his teammates better. Both players are/were selfish, mostly because both players realized that they had to be. But Jordan's competitive streak made him defer when it was necessary and everyone of his teammates were better players when Jordan was on the floor.

Kobe, it seems, doesn't have the trust in his teammates or doesn't care as long as he gets his shots in. When he retires, he will be remembered as a great player, there's no doubt about that. But he will never be put on the same level as Jordan.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:08 PM   #38
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^Did Jordan have that ability, to make his teammates better, in his first few seasons as the torch bearer? Not really...no. It took a good team around him, with the likes of a Horace Grant, Scottie Pippen, etc. to develop that skill.

This is only Kobe's second year as the clear, visible leader of his team. I think people are jumping the gun when they're saying he can't make his teammates better. The thing is, he's doing what he can to make them better...but they simply aren't holding their own end. You can't really blame Kobe for not elevating his teammates' overall impact on the game when they simply can't do it.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #39
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

If I was Kobe, I wouldn't really trust the players around him either.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:43 PM   #40
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noon
Well Shawn, let's not kid ourselves. ....But he will never be put on the same level as Jordan.
I'm not kidding anyone, and I didn't state that he's 'there already', I said the comparisons were starting to carry more weight, that's all.
And as far as never on the same level, I wouldn't bet the farm on that one
Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 PM   #41
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I don't think he'll ever be put on the same pedestal as Jordan (even he is a great player) due to his personal life.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 01-25-2006 at 12:59 AM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #42
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Nihilist is a bit strong Kevin. True nihilists believe that there is no foundation for hope and that extreme measures are necessary (violent) to correct problems. In politics, the left actually has economic, moral, and factual evidence to promote it's way of life (not the mainstream cowards mind you). Again, all this is subjective. But that's another thread.

Political debate aside, the reason why I'm so hard on my teams is because I hold them to higher standards than their peers (and here is the important part) based on past success AND THE VALUES AND WORK ETHIC THEY OPERATED UNDER TO ATTAIN THAT PLACE WHICH I BELIEVE TO BE BETTER...NOT MORALLY SUPERIOR...THAN THEIR COUTNERPARTS. In this case, there's no reason why the Lakers should be where they are. There's also no reason why Ohio State (sorry to through football in here) hasn't won a Big Ten title outright since 1984.

I hate to keep rehasing this stuff. I'm not sure I ever get my point cross. I just ask that people make good judgements and live up to their abilities. You don't have to necessarily win. God knows I fail at a ton of stuff I do on a personal level.

But that's why my favorite Laker team post-Showtime is definitely the 1994-96 squad (Divac, Campbell, Ceballos, Jones, Van Exel). They worked hard and produced according to their ability. Why would I...or any of us in here...be impressed with someone who is...at worst...operating against the values of which we believe in (ummm...to quote Herm Edwards..."you play to win"). At best, he honestly believes that his actions improve the state of his team (some of which...how much we've debated before...is his own personal doing). If that's the case, he's a damn fool. No playoff team (even nowadays, with these idiots out there) is going to care if he scores 80 a night in the first round as long as the Lakers get eliminated in 4 or 5 games (which they will...if they make it). When Jordan torched the Celtics and lost, I thought to myself...that's nice...now let's get down to who the champion is (cause Jordan wasn't there yet).

Take your pick on Kobe, cause I really don't care. I'm too busy gushing in private over the Pistons.

Another note...

I stated in my first post that Kevin Ollie was a waste of cash. It's Aaron McKie, not Ollie on the Laker roster eating up dough. That's how much the guy has been worth...couldn't even recall him and no one caught it.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #43
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
based on past success AND THE VALUES AND WORK ETHIC THEY OPERATED UNDER TO ATTAIN THAT PLACE WHICH I BELIEVE TO BE BETTER...NOT MORALLY SUPERIOR...THAN THEIR COUTNERPARTS.
so by that logic, if a team is fortunate enough to compile a brilliant squad for a few seasons, they are then held responsible for maintaining that same level of quality ever after? Am I reading you correctly?
Isn't that a bit like expecting to hit the lottery every time I play, if I was fortunate enough to win it once?
Old 01-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #44
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe
would Shaq have won 3 rings without Kobe?
No, he probably would've won two. How many championships would the Lakers had with only Kobe? Probably none.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:52 AM   #45
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
I don't think he'll never be put on the same pedestal as Jordan (even he is a great player) due to his personal life.
To be fair to Kobe, it's not like MJ has led a perfect life. If I'm not mistaken, he also cheated on his wife. Also he has a well-documented gambling habit.