Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 07-29-2001, 12:27 PM   #1
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Lappy is on a distinguished road
Default NYI articles

I just read V.Patal's June 2001 article,on the NYI getting Peca/Yashin.He goes on about how the team got players they can't afford to pay.Did this guy do ANY research on the NYI? Since April 2000,Wang and Kumar have owned the NYI.They are local computer guys that last yr raised payroll $10 million and this summer will spend roughly another $15 million on payroll increases..Forbes lists Wang's worth at $900 million,Kumar is worth $150 million.Kinda hard to take an article seriously when clearly so little work went into it.There is a second article by another writer I gave up on about 2/3 through,about how Yashin/Peca won't help because Haller is the only defenseman that was a + on the team last yr.Never mind Hamrlik's 16 goals,30 assists.Forget Jonsson ended the season the last 20 games, playing the best hockey he's played in the last 2 yrs.Forget Aucoin coming in this season and top defensive blue chip prospect Mezei.Halller's +/- is all that matters.
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 04:16 PM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NYI articles

Quote:
Originally posted by Lappy
.There is a second article by another writer I gave up on about 2/3 through,about how Yashin/Peca won't help because Haller is the only defenseman that was a + on the team last yr.Never mind Hamrlik's 16 goals,30 assists.Forget Jonsson ended the season the last 20 games, playing the best hockey he's played in the last 2 yrs.Forget Aucoin coming in this season and top defensive blue chip prospect Mezei.Halller's +/- is all that matters.
... that "other writer" would be me!

In all honesty, hey -- that probably was not my best article in terms of the background that I based it on... I'm not a hard-core Islander fan!

However, I AM a hard-core Islander fan, and I know that you don't make it anywhere with a less than average goalie, a less than average offense, and a weak defense. Okay -- so now you have TWO defensemen over 0 in the +/- category -- Haller and Aucoin.

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that if people in Long Island expect their NHL club to make the playoffs in 2001, they will be sadly disappointed unless they go for a nap and wake up in three years.

Also, welcome to the SCMB, Lappy!!... Hope you stick around a bit and discuss some more puck!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2001, 04:47 PM   #3
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Default NYI

I don't know if this posted the first time so I'm posting ita second time.If it comes up twice:sorry bout that.I like 5 of the top 6 forwards:Isbister-Yashin-Parrish-Peca-Czerkawski.Kvasha's the wildcard.The 3rd line could be a lot of fun.Milbury is saying that the hard hitting Raffi Torres, is penciled in on the 3rd line,next to D.Scatchard and Blake.Bates,Lapointe,Kolnik,Webb will battle for spots on the 4th line. The defense is more then Haller and Aucoin.Hamrlik played for months with a groin pull injury.He still managed 16 goals,30 assists.Hamrlik-Jonsson-Aucoin-Mezei-Haller-Cairns puts 3 offensive d-man and three physical d-men out on the ice.I don't look for Aucoin to score 23 goals again. I think 12 goals is more realistic.Hamrlik will be fully healed and have some more help defensively.Haller was on the injured list much of the yr and this will be Aucoin's first yr.Meizi is coming off a very strong rookie season.Two of the team's top European defensemen,Tarnstrom and Martinek will be in camp battling for jobs.The goaltending is a big question mark,but I don't think Wang/Kumar increased payroll $15 million this summer,only to refuse to let Milbury aquire Osgood,Hackett or Kidd in late Oct. if the goalies the NYI have struggle.The owner are pouring money into the payroll to make the playoffs,build support for a new arena.They've spent $25 million the last 2 yrs.These owners are spending money and I don't see this franchise taking 3 yrs to make the playoffs.
Old 07-29-2001, 11:12 PM   #4
Phillerup
Sports Enthusiast

Phillerup is on a distinguished road

The one thing that seems to kill the Islanders lately is a weak defense...Don't misunderstand me, the aquisition of Aucoin has solidified the situation considerably. However, I still think they could use a good, solid stay-at-home defenseman. Hopefully that will happen before they start blaming the goalies...again.
Phillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 09:53 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Phillerup
Hopefully that will happen before they start blaming the goalies...again.
Well DiPietro and Snow aren't exactly the best tandom, ya know!
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2001, 10:22 AM   #6
Lappy
Sports Enthusiast

Default NYI defense

so long as quality goalies like Belfour(ufa next summer),Osgood and Hackett are being offered around in trades,the NYI are not over a barrel .They just want to see how DiPietro,Snow and Salficky look the first few weeks of the season.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:40 PM   #7
dragons
Grizzled Veteran

dragons is on a distinguished road
Default Islanders

Mezei will be much better this season...I think the Islanders have a very good defensive core now. Aucoin and Hamrlik are only good for the offence but the other 3 (Mezei, Haller and Jonsson) are solid players.
dragons is offline   Reply With Quote