Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 01-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #31
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I don't know if you have ever seen a picture of Kevin or not, gconn, so I better show you this before some one gets hurt.

This is his picture...

Last edited by Ellis; 01-11-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:09 PM   #32
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by bama4256
Guys I'm not the sick one. Neither is God. He is Holy and must punish sin. When King David went against God's wishes and counted his people by a head count God killed 70,000.
Read your Old Testament. God does use certain events to punish sins.
Do I deserve to be punished? Yes I do. But since I'm a Christian and I ask God to forgive me of my sins daily and plus I fear his Holy name God has been real good to me. But yes I deserve death myself. But God is merciful to those that love him and worship him. But yes some Christians do die horrible deaths, that is part of this evil world.
Technically Bama, you're right, according to Christian beliefs. However, you're telling only half the story.

There is a school of thought (to which I personally subscribe) that, under the new covenant (that granted by Jesus Christ), God punishes individuals for their sinful nature and rewards the righteous after this life.

I think, with the new covenant, God has largely bypassed the Old Testament-style mass punishments.

And I just think it's dangerous to imply that a natural disaster (or even a man-made one, Mr. Falwell) is God's wrath for a societal sin. Because, from there, it's an easy step to say, "They deserved what they got."

Instead, millions of good Christians around the world looked at the situation and said "These are fellow human beings in need. Let's help."

The notion that God punished those living and vacationing in the Indian subcontinent on Dec. 26 might be a religious thought, but it's not a Christian one.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:17 PM   #33
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

First of all, my religious beliefs are far different from those of Bama. I am a subscriber in the belief that God pretty much stays out of things and gives us the free will to do what he has taught us. I don't think he plays an active role by choice.

However, am I the only one here who finds it incredibly hypocritical that people are saying how "intollerant" bama is and in the same sentence labelling him a "sicko"? That's a perfect definition of intollerance of ideas guys. Thanks for playing. And by the way, you all did it...once again.

Bama was just posing a philosophical question, whether God plays an active role in the world, and nature. He was ASKING FOR YOUR OPINION on the question of direct punishment of non-believing. Again, I'd like to remind the intollerant libs here that I don't subscribe to that theory AT ALL, I'm just defending Bama's right to pose a question, which was actually not that unreasonable if you believe in God.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:20 PM   #34
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

LOL, Ellis....

What amazes me in this "out of this world' type of conversation is that if true (inject sarcasm), God must have a ton of patience in that he waited till all the sinners were in one place devoid of any non-sinners when he dropped the BOOM.....

This thread is just too bizarre.....
Old 01-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #35
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Ellis' most recent post brought tears of laughter.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #36
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Ricky, I appreciate your desire to stand up for the supposedly assailed, but the reaction by... pretty much everyone... results from the segment in which Keith quite horridly and incorrectly intimates that these people died for not being Christian.

It seems a ghastly proposition to most of us, including Brian, a devout whose politics run centrist to right (in my view), and Eric, a believer whose politics run to the left and then again to the left.

What he's throwing out there is the proposition that it is not okay to be non-Christian

Let's be honest here. We all know Keith's agenda when he brings this stuff up. He's just looking for another avenue on which to bang his Bible, and doing it with the greatest of intolerance.

His isn't a philosophical question. It was evangelical fundamentalist "Die non-believers Die!" crap.

And, had I found it before a plethora of posts joined it, I'd have ditched it before anyone else could.
That's how offensive I think the original post was.

That's how duped I believe you've been, Ricky.

Dave
Old 01-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #37
Karen M
Grizzled Veteran

Karen M is on a distinguished road

Doesn't matter which god you believe or don't believe in...the parade's goin' in one direction for all of us.
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #38
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen M
Doesn't matter which god you believe or don't believe in...the parade's goin' in one direction for all of us.
AMEN!
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:33 PM   #39
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky the Kid
First of all, my religious beliefs are far different from those of Bama. I am a subscriber in the belief that God pretty much stays out of things and gives us the free will to do what he has taught us. I don't think he plays an active role by choice.

However, am I the only one here who finds it incredibly hypocritical that people are saying how "intollerant" bama is and in the same sentence labelling him a "sicko"? That's a perfect definition of intollerance of ideas guys. Thanks for playing. And by the way, you all did it...once again.

Bama was just posing a philosophical question, whether God plays an active role in the world, and nature. He was ASKING FOR YOUR OPINION on the question of direct punishment of non-believing. Again, I'd like to remind the intollerant libs here that I don't subscribe to that theory AT ALL, I'm just defending Bama's right to pose a question, which was actually not that unreasonable if you believe in God.
Actually, we are answering his philosophical question. You can very easily label someone a sicko and call them intolerant at the same time. The asseration that you can not is simply wrong on your end Ricky.

What he wrote is one of the most disturbing things I have ever read. Saying this is not me being intolerant of him. No one here said "woah, lock this thread".
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:58 PM   #40
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Not accepting a differing viewpoint is in its nature intolerant. Especially when you label someone a "sicko."

And before you post outrageous examples, YES, I am intolerant of the "sicko" child molestors and murderers out there. We're all a little intollerant, including me, including bama, and including you.

Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; 01-11-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Richard the Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #41
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

No, that's completely wrong. You don't have to accept every one's viewpoint when they don't back it up and are just going out on a limb.

The support he presented for his argument was flaky at best and he avoided many things. It is not intolerance to label something as sick when he fails to support the viewpoint.

If he makes his viewpoint, supports it logical, credibly and fairly, then you can say it is intolerant of people to label the opinion as being sick. But he did none of those things.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:58 AM   #42
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

ESP...

Perhaps it's just my travels in life, but I was once more mainstream liberal like a Kevin or a Dave, til I came across the Bamas' of the world. When ALL factual evidence flies out the window, you either go FAR left as I, or give up. BELIEVE ME, I've had encounters with this thinking and it scares me more than anything. It started happening, in my estimation, during the 1980s, with Falwell and the moral majority, the rise of the South, and the defeat of the Equal Rights Amendment ( due to the South in general).

Man I long for the days when I could do battle with Goldwater conservatives on economic and social issues. Now it's "God says so." My books, facts, historical trends, life experience, and what little rational thought I have left don't matter they tell me. What a way to win an argument and determine the fate of all the people you have control over.

And it's only the beginning.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:26 AM   #43
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Ricky, doesn't "intolerant" mean "we don't tolerate it." as in, "We're shutting this thread down and/or banning Bama?"

We are doing no such thing. Bama has every right to feel the way he feels and express it here, and we have every right to find it offensive and sick and express THAT. Don't we? So what's the problem? Are liberals not supposed to use words like sick and just be polite about everything? Yeah, just like conservatives. Well, pardon me while I go check out this church's book-burning...

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
what an ass your being, thats just as bad as what bama said, why do you treat all of the "lower posters" this way?
Aww! Does this mean you don't love me anymore? Then I promise I will never use sarcasm ever again. You sure are one incredibly bright thirteen year old! You should make "And I'm only 13!!!!" your signature again, except this time in BOLD!

Also, don't cuss or call other posters (even me) names. It's against the rules, you've been warned about that, I don't know, about 100 times, and unfortunately for you, sarcasm is NOT against the rules.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein

Last edited by KevinBeane; 01-11-2005 at 03:35 AM.
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:53 AM   #44
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Would 'god' be an appropriate term for any entity or entities that are advanced far beyond us?
Watch C3P0's Ewok entrance in Star Wars- Return of the Jedi. The majority of humanity is not far from those Ewoks.

My question, relative to this discussion, is could humanity survive a natural disaster that was exponentially worse than the tsunami? Such as a meteor collision, something similar to Day After Tomorrow, or a spontaneous magnetic polar reversal, etc... ?
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:01 PM   #45
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

You know... if this is what "God" does when people don't "belive" in them.... then I don't want him as a God. I mean c'mon.... people don't believe so he kills 'em. Sign me up....

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote