Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #16
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Next, I like the Broncos narrowly winning. I think the Steelers were incredibly lucky to survive Indy, and the Broncos have a better offense.
I think the Colts were lucky to be in that game. The Steelers just plain dominated them and bad calls (and an uncharacteristic fumble by Bettis) kept the Steelers from blowing them out. They did have 21-3 lead in the 4th quarter.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #17
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

True, but I said that thinking about Nick Harper's near game-winning INT runback and then Vanderjagt botching a kick he should have made. The Colts easily could have won that. But the Steelers did play better most of the game.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #18
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

I like the Steelers and the Seahawks.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-18-2006, 11:42 PM   #19
blackdogsong
Hall of Famer

blackdogsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think the Steelers were incredibly lucky to survive Indy
huh? Indy and Peyton laid another playoff egg and showed they lack the same mental toughness that's plagued them every year they've been eliminated. like jhuerbin88 said the Colts got lucky numerous times to even have the chance to tie the game.

Steelers will win in Denver, I have wait to see the Panthers injury report to decide on that game.

Last edited by blackdogsong; 01-19-2006 at 01:07 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:57 PM   #20
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Everyone knows how I feel... as a life long Seahawk fan...

GO SEAHAWKS

Oh and I'd prefer to beat the Broncos in the Superbowl.... but I'm not picky

tumblr | twitter
Old 01-19-2006, 01:02 AM   #21
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Panthers and Broncos. Not super-confident in either pick. Seahawks are just really untested and I think they might not be mentally ready for this. That said, all other signs point to a Seattle victory (in spite of my prediction). On the other side, Denver is a force at home. In the Steelers' favor, this is the 2nd straight QB they'll be facing who's overdue for a playoff meltdown... but I'm sticking with the Broncos.

Didn't post here, but I picked all 4 home teams last week... so I obviously am not too great at this.

Broncos win the big game and my buddy Wes has a joy-induced seizure
Old 01-19-2006, 10:12 AM   #22
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

I'm telling you right now, Plummer will not get the job done. He's gonna go back to his days with the Cardinals, throwing erratically and making bad judgement calls thinking he's the guy to get the Broncos to the Super Bowl. This same exact thing happened last year in the playoffs to Roethlisberger (he thought he had to do everything for the team), especially the AFC Champ game against the Pats. Plummer doesn't have the playoff experience to get his team to the Super Bowl. Roethlisberger will prevail, mainly because the Broncos will try and stop the run early while the Steelers go to the air early. And by the time the Broncos realize their mistake, they'll be done and out.

Like I said before:
Roethlisberger > Manning

And after this week:
Roethlisberger > Plummer

Steelers by 7.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #23
msuman
Rookie Player

msuman is on a distinguished road

Steeler over Broncos by 3 - If the Steelers can out offence the Broncos the game is their's. Unless we see some unbealivable plays like Bettis's fumble or the bad INT reverse.

Panthers over the Seahawks by 10 - The Seahawks havent really played anyone this year and i think the Panthers will come in and dominate.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:36 PM   #24
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Marc, the Broncos have a better offense? Um, are you sure?

While I've given up the hope that Plummer was going to revert to the old Jake the Snake, I do believe that he will falter when the game falls on his shoulders. The Broncs won't be able to run a lick.

Meanwhile (where did I read this) the Steelers should be able to carve up the Broncos D because they have a long history with the four horsemen on the Broncs D line, being that they're all Cleveland refugees. Roethlisberger will be his awesome ol' within-himself self and the Broncos will be forced to throw a lot more than they're comfortable doing, and it's actually over in the third quarter.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #25
SeahawKnDC
Were on the way! SB XL

SeahawKnDC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuman
Panthers over the Seahawks by 10 - The Seahawks havent really played anyone this year and i think the Panthers will come in and dominate.
Oh please How can you say the Seahawks havent played anybody. Lets start in week in Week to when the Beat Atlanta in Atlanta. At the time ATL was a very popular suberbowl pick and the Hawks went into there home ant beat them.

Week 7- Dallas. Lets not forget that Dallas was also a highy hyped squad who the Seahawks beat.

Week 11 - The Seahawks beat the Giants another playoff Team
Week 16- Indianapolis

Week 19- The Washington Deadskins. Another playoff team

That is 5 PLayoff teams all defeated by Seattle. So why dont you start showing them some respect. Teams in the NFL are played to win games witch the Seahawks have done. Id it there fault that the other teams they had to face failled to do so? I think not. And please dont come at me with any mess about how the seahawks barley won a few of those games I mentioned, Because no one ever admits when there teams could have easily LOST a few of the games they one. But thats fine keep on disrespecting the Seahawks. Weill see who is laughing in Febuary!!!! :lol:
Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #26
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

If you are gonna make a case for your Hawks... Atlanta's a joke - they suck - finished 8-8. Dallas, was a 9-7 team (nothing great). And the Seahawks also LOST to the NY Giants. Please don't count Indy... M. Harrison didn't even make the trip out there. Edge wasn't playing, Manning had 6 plays. Didn't they also come a 2-point conversion away from getting beat by San Fran? I don't agree with those saying the Hawks haven't played anyone this year, but if your gonna defend them - I think you need to do a little better than that.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 01-19-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #27
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

You're trying to make a case off the Dallas game? If anything, that should be something that should make a case AGAINST the Seahawks. Dallas had that game won, and if it wasnt for a boneheaded throw by Bledsoe, the Seahawks finish 13-3 instead of 14-2. The Seahawks were outplayed that game by far. The only good case for the Seahawks that can be made from the Dallas game is that their defense kept them in the game. But Dallas doesnt have any WR to match Steve Smith either.

Also, if Seattle wants to know how to cover Steve Smith, they should look at the game the week when the Panthers played the Cowboys. Before Smith was ejected from the game, he was kept quiet by the Cowboys defense.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #28
SeahawKnDC
Were on the way! SB XL

SeahawKnDC is on a distinguished road

Boston im gonna have to ask you to get your facts st8. The seahawks beat the Gaints I should no because I was there. Also payton had more than six plays he has at least to complete drives where the seahawk D-fence held them to field goals. And Edge was playing just go check the Game Cast for NFL.com.

And second to you coachJ. If you wanna talk about the close games the seahawks could have lost lets talk about that games the could have won. For example the Redskins gave. If J Brown hadnt missed the Field Goal the Hawks would have one that game and second the green bay game the Hawks only played there starter for a few drives because they had already wrapped up home field. So in reality the HAWKS could actually be 15-1 the only real loss came to JAX in week one.

One again I say get your facts Str8.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 AM   #29
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Cool Anthony's Conference Championship Picks

Can't wait for this miserable season to be over! Now that I've expressed that sentiment, here are my picks for the conference championship games:

Pittsburgh 23 (+3 1/2), DENVER 20 - One would think that Mike Shanahan's running game would fare better against the 3-4 defensive alignment than the 4-3, but the numbers for this season tell a surprising story, as Denver averaged 134.2 yards rushing per game against 3-4 teams (including last week's playoff win over New England) as opposed to 163.7 versus the 4-3. Meanwhile, Ben Roethlisberger has removed the leftover doubts about his postseason prowess from last year with two strong efforts in this season's playoffs, while Jake Plummer was far less impressive in his lone postseason outing. Furthermore, Pittsburgh is 24-11 straight up since 2000 as a visitor on the grass, and the third-ranked Steeler run defense has a good chance of forcing the Broncos to go to the air, which they would rather not do. By winning last week the Steelers snapped the ten-game lifetime losing streak for sixth seeds in the divisional playoffs, and there may be no stopping them now.

Carolina 28 (+5 1/2), SEATTLE 24 - True, DeShaun Foster is out, but didn't Nick Goings have five 100-yard games after first Stephen Davis and then Foster were lost to injuries last year? And while Shaun Alexander is expected to play, there is little if any chance that he will anything close to 100% healthy. And in a sense, this may actually be an easier assignment for the Panthers than they faced in either of the last two weeks, as the weather figures to be milder and this game (unlike last week's) is on artificial turf, upon which Carolina is an amazing 16-3-1 against the spread in their last 20 games. And like the Steelers, the Panthers have already gotten over a major historical hump by becoming only the second Super Bowl loser in the last eleven to reach the conference title game in either of the next two seasons after losing the Super Bowl, and also being just the third Sun Belt team to win two cold-weather games in the same postseason. Baseball survived its first-ever all-wild-card World Series in 2002, so why can't the NFL shrug off its first-ever all-wild-card Super Bowl?

Last edited by Anthony; 01-20-2006 at 06:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #30
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeahawKnDC
Boston im gonna have to ask you to get your facts st8. The seahawks beat the Gaints I should no because I was there. Also payton had more than six plays he has at least to complete drives where the seahawk D-fence held them to field goals. And Edge was playing just go check the Game Cast for NFL.com.
My bad about the Giants game - forgot they won in OT... But that still doesn't say much IMO Barber had 151 yards. And for the Colts game, Manning had 12 attemps, Edge had 13 carries. Arizona could of beat that sqaud!