Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 11-20-2004, 12:10 AM   #1
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road
Default Detroit/Indiana BRAWL

My goodness...what an absolute TRAINWRECK at the end of the game tonight. Ron Artest...wow. A fan throws a drink at him and he charges the stands and knocks him out.

Massive suspensions everywhere, and Ron, you'll get your wish and get some time off...a LONG time off.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:40 AM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

& I'm sure we'll hear how Artest was just defending himself. The fan should be in jail & it should have ended there but it's the new age where every clown has a silly excuse of how it's "life & death".

Artest wanted to be the next Rodman & he's not only succeeded but did Rodman one better. What a complete idiot.....
Old 11-20-2004, 12:48 AM   #3
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Artest may never play again. Seriously. Wow.

And O'Neal will get a big suspension too.

So Artest, O'Neal and Jackson out. There may be an opening for another playoff team in the east.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:53 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

lol, Brian....

The Oddsmakers will be busy tonight....
Old 11-20-2004, 01:25 AM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

I'm going to disagree with the posters here. I didn't see the fight live on broadcast, only on ESPNews and such. I agree with the guys on NBA Shootaround: this was not Artest's fault. Sure, he committed the foul, but once when fans start assaulting players, all bets are off.

Did you see how fans did nothing to stop the fight, and afterwards start to throw ice and pour drinks on the Pacers and they tried to escape into their tunnel?

I don't even think any player will get 15+ suspension. The fans instigated this brawl.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:30 AM   #6
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

I saw it live on brodcast, thanks to Marc.

Amazing. In the end it was pretty harmless, other than a few cuts and some dirty cloths. I must say I love it.

If someone got seriously hurt, it would be another story. But you have to love seeing that, saying that no one got hurt.

Last edited by Ellis; 11-20-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:46 AM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Speechless. There will be more of this kind of thing, a LOT more, rather than less in the coming years. It will change the face of sports in ways I can't fathom.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #8
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by da12ken
I agree with the guys on NBA Shootaround: this was not Artest's fault. Sure, he committed the foul, but once when fans start assaulting players, all bets are off.
How in the WORLD was this not Artest's fault? As a professional athlete you are taught and trained to control your emotions when a fan throws something at you or says something at you. If that fan crosses the line then that's what security is for, that's why they are there. Artest completley crossed the line, charged the stands and knocked the guy out. He didn't stop there either, if you see the footage where Artest walks off the court, another fan comes up to him, says something, then Artest takes a swing at him.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson are DONE.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:11 AM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Holy ****. I'm sitting at a bar, and artest is punchin dudes with pistons jerseus on that aren't rasheed and the gang. I haven't seen enough to comment other than : daaaaaaammmmmmmnnnnn
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:31 AM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

There has to be a solid line drawn in the sand when it comes to taking responsibility for stupidity like this. Of course no one should have beer thrown on them & yes, I know it would piss you off. But going into the stands does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but create an even worse situation for the good fans, the sport or the other players who end up with more crap thrown at them.

It took people that were borderline idiots to begin with an opportunity to hop aboard a mob mentality & took people who probably wouldn't have done anything but who ended up actually defending themselves from charging irate pissed off players.

What's amazing is we don't know exactly what would be done to the unruly idiot fans cuz nowadays players decide they have a right to defend their honor. I'm sure Artest will be scarred for life cuz of being hit with beer.

There are other fans to think about, teammates to think about, & the health of basketballs' image to name a few. If the ME mentality wasn't so out of control, we should have be able to see security dragging the idiot out in chains but then again, we'll never know cuz we have a brawl to break down first.

All this has done is open the door for more attitude from obnoxious fans who feed off of pissing off players just for fun. It has given the idiotic part of the public an excuse to act out worse in the future & showed the good fans that going to an NBA game, especially with your kids, may not be the kind of risk they'll want to take for a little entertainment.

Street justice....Illegal forever but nowadays able to be rationalized with BS excuses about "defending yourself". We will see more & more of this in the future with the problem not just being idiot fans like tonight but also idiot players who act like their life is on the line with every taunt, beer, spit, etc.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:37 AM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Just saw it all...

That **** is square on the shoulders of Ben Wallace and the fans. Wallace's stupidity started it, some idiot fan throwing **** at Artest when he was on the scorer's table. <<ADMIN EDIT: please watch your language and don't try to trick the censors>> Seriously, who the **** is that moronic to go to the game and toss a drink and Artest? Whatever happens at that point, **** it. Can't just do that. The fans involved were a disgrace...looked like the fans tossed the first punches too. Ridiculous.

Last edited by Marc; 11-20-2004 at 10:46 AM.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:43 AM   #12
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
How in the WORLD was this not Artest's fault? As a professional athlete you are taught and trained to control your emotions when a fan throws something at you or says something at you. If that fan crosses the line then that's what security is for, that's why they are there. Artest completley crossed the line, charged the stands and knocked the guy out. He didn't stop there either, if you see the footage where Artest walks off the court, another fan comes up to him, says something, then Artest takes a swing at him.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson are DONE.
Once the fan crosses into the playing field, anything goes. Are athletes supposed to wait to see if some random person that jumps onto the court/field is harmless, or do they take initiative? Particularly given the circumstances, was Artest supposed to WAIT for the guy to throw the punch?

But if anyone takes the fall for all this, it's NBA security, the fans, then the players.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 02:47 AM   #13
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

So are you suggesting Artest was smart by reacting like he did, Doug?? Wallace being stupid is one thing, the amazing stupidity of a fan throwing crap another.

So cuz of other stupidity, Artest is given a green light to do whatever he wants???....To go into the stands & pound the ***** out of that guy???
Old 11-20-2004, 02:47 AM   #14
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

whoaaaaa.... settle down there Doug. You sound like you was right up IN IT.
I haven't seen the NBA TV clip yet, but sure sounds juicy.
BRB with my 2 cents..
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:02 AM   #15
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Quote:
Originally posted by da12ken
Once the fan crosses into the playing field, anything goes. Are athletes supposed to wait to see if some random person that jumps onto the court/field is harmless, or do they take initiative? Particularly given the circumstances, was Artest supposed to WAIT for the guy to throw the punch?

But if anyone takes the fall for all this, it's NBA security, the fans, then the players.
C'mon, Ken...

Now that's the kind of rationalizing that gets things out of focus. In no way are players being asked to stand there & take it. The problem here is no one's waiting long enough for security/police to even react to it. Nowadays it's.."He said something bad to me so I threw a chair"...or...."He threw beer at me so I knocked him out"....

So I guess you think players should use preemptive strikes if they THINK there might be trouble. As far as waiting for the guy to throw a punch, we'll never know what the guy was thinking cuz he's unconscious. To say Artest didn't want to wait to be punched is making an excuse for why he acted like a fool.

Players fighting in the heat of competition is one thing & part of the game. Unruly fans who taunt & throw things have been an unpleasant part of the game for forever. Neither are good for the sport but Artest has in one amazing moment of stupidity done something that is guarranteed to do major damage & that's players going into the stands & knocking out fans.

Artest likes emulating different players, first MJ #23, then Rodman #91, now apparently the NHL. All my point is...bad career choice on the last 2...