Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who will win this matchup?
Tampa Bay Bucs 1 8.33%
Philadelphia Eagles 11 91.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 07:08 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default [Conference Championship Playoffs '03] Bucs vs. Eagles

If the Bucs want to get to the big show, they'll have to do something they haven't been able to do recently -- defeat the Eagles at Veterans Stadium. Tampa Bay was eliminated by Philadelphia in the first round of the playoffs the last two years. Donovan McNabb showed little rust in the Eagles' divisional playoff win over Atlanta, while the Bucs looked dominant against San Francisco. The Philadelphia defense, however, will certainly provide a stiffer test for Tampa Bay than the banged-up 49ers did, particularly at the raucous Vet. (NFL.com)

Please use this thread to discuss the matchup. Thanks!
Old 01-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Couple of things about this game scream blowout, to me, anyway.

The Eagles played a tougher (at the time) team than Tampa did to get here. Let's face it, Atlanta didn't have to sweat quite as much as SF, had some momentum, and were playing much better D than the Niners coming into this past weekend. The Niners were DOA in Tampa.

Don't let last week confuse you: Tampa's offense stinks. Brad Johnson is a solid quarterback, but has no running game to alleviate the blitzing that the Eagles like to do. They'll come for him, they'll crush him, and then they'll be playing Shaun King. The Eagles secondary matches up so well with Tampa's sluggish receivers that the receivers may as well not exist. Remember, Bobby Taylor cut his professional cover teeth blanketing Michael Irvin to the point of insignificance in several games. The Eagles may not have the NFL's best defense, but when matched with the plodding, poorly protected Tampa offense, you don't have to be the best. You merely need to execute, and Philly hasn't failed to execute all that often this year.

Also, other side of the ball: for all of Tampa's defensive greatness, and their ability to confuse and swallow whole the "magnificent" Mike Vick, they have no solution to Donovan "Mystery" McNabb. For all their speed and strength, McNabb generally burns them every way imaginable. Chalk a lot of this up to superior coaching. As great an assistant as Monte Kiffin is, Andy Reid is better. Which is why Monte Kiffin remains an assistant, and Reid is a head coach.

Eagles 34 Bucs 14

Hey, at least I have them scoring touchdowns against the Eagles...

Dave
Old 01-14-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I gotta give my respect to the Eagles. 30-14 Eagles
Old 01-14-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
Hero
The Asian Man of SC

Hero is on a distinguished road

The Bucs defense can't contain McNabb, and I just can't see the Bucs winning at all... 35-3 Philadelphia.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:30 PM   #5
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

What will it be 3 years in a row now?

Eagles 27, Bucs 23
Old 01-15-2003, 05:48 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The long-range weather outlook calls for light snow in Philadelphia on Sunday, with temperatures in the 20s - meaning that it will be colder than it was on December 29th in Champaign (35 degrees at kickoff), plus it won't be Henry Burris the Bucs defense will be contending with this time around.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:20 PM   #7
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Besides; the BUCS come up clutch? NAh
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 PM   #8
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

Queue John Facenda (the old voice of NFL Films)...

"On the frozen tundra known as Veterans Stadium..."

I doubt there's a tougher place for a warm weather team to play outside of Wisconsin than the ice-cold concrete of the Vet. The Vet is the only place I've seen a game of any sort where it can be miserably hot and humid in the summer and colder than a mother-in-law's kiss in the winter. I believe Veterans from all around this great land will applaud it's demise.

Oh, Eagles win.
Old 01-15-2003, 10:44 PM   #9
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I won't be applauding the demise of the Vet anytime soon. I grew up going to that place to watch games. To the rest of the country, it was a ****hole, but to Philadelphians, it's something special. Hence the reason why the Phillies have already sold out their final home game of the season.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:06 PM   #10
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

I don't think it would be to smart of anyone to wear the oppenets team colors there eh? Describe to me what would happen if that were to happen.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:42 AM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

One of many things. For the most part, you could get away with just getting yelled at. But most people in opposing colors are able to take the comments of "cocksucker" and "your team ****ing sucks" etc. If you're a dick and start **** with the wrong person, then you'll probably end up in a fight.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:53 PM   #12
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

With Philly likely winning and Oakland likely winning, it's too bad that the meanest of fans don't get to make it to the Super Bowl. They'd have to stop the game at the half to deal with hooliganism.

Dave
Old 01-16-2003, 04:55 PM   #13
magman1621
Grizzled Veteran

magman1621 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't call us Philly fans "the meanest" I'd call us the most passionate and most loyal fans. Eagles win by a blowout 35-6, Tampa doesn't score a TD against THE BEST DEFENSE in the league, and they'll prove their even better than the bucs D this Sunday. Ohh have we been waiting for this moment for such a LONG LONG TIME!!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 06:16 PM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Speaking of best D in the league, Kellerman just asked the question on PTI and Bob Ryan, who I used to respect before this show has shown his inability to deal with sports as a whole. He's great with basketball and Boston, but he's crazy on a lot of other topics. Back to the point though, it's one thing to say Tampa has a better D, which I won't ever agree with it, but numbers wise, they are #1. Ryan not only said this, but said they were better because they got more pressure on the QB. What a ****ing joke.

Good to see everyone in the media is starting to make a big deal out of B. Mitch's comments that Sapp is sackless against Philly when he's been saying it for two years running now. **** Sapp, most overrated player for however long he's been playing. B. Mitch is poppin' corks on the Bucs Sunday.

This game isn't just about getting to the Super Bowl, it's about showing everyone in the World that numbers sometimes lie. Tampa's D isn't as good as Philly's and the Nation will know this on Sunday.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:20 PM   #15
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Magman, how much does the thing to play ps2 online cost? I'm tired of running over my roomates with the Chargers.

And a side note, have I set the record for getting words replaced with "****" in a thread yet?
Closed Thread