Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 07-23-2003, 06:21 PM   #16
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

JOKE LEAGUE!!!!

Let me tell you something bucko... the CFL is the most entertaining football league on the planet. Sure we don't have the money to attract the so called "superstars" be the CFL is much more watchable than the slow and boring NFL.

As for Crouch.... I'm not sure if he could handle the CFL game. For one he only has 3 downs to make the 10 yards.... and the defence is blitzing you on almost every friggin' down. Why do you think that Flutie and Garcia (both former Stampeders ) are so mobile.... in the CFL you have to be!!!

He might get a chance, but with the CFL being in week 6 already, most teams are already at their cap max and he'd be lucky to make any decent money up here. But there might be a coupla teams interested (Ti-Cats, Stamps, Riders!!!... maybe even the Argo's)

I'm getting kinda tired of your flame posts.... :redhot: :redhot:

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:37 PM   #17
TRAVIS13
Banned

TRAVIS13 is on a distinguished road

Hey J I never brought the super bowl into any of my posts here so you better know that. Beside that the greatest quarterback to ever lace on the shoes never won a super bowl so i dig your point there man. I think even if doug flutie was good when he was 40 he would have been still playing not sitting on his can watching a rookie and that is common sense. He was a cfl qb and nfl wannabe. Hethen if you like the cfl then you can have it. Don,t let me stop your fun or whatever you call it. lol

t13 is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TRAVIS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:09 AM   #18
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

What are you talking about t13? Troy Aikman won 3 Super Bowls. Just playin.

Anyway, when St. Louis first drafted Mr. Crouch, they drafted him as a wide receiver. Crouch should've learned in college, from scouts and his agent. So, he retired...

He comes to Green Bay where Sherman and Co. were very high on his versatility. Crouch learned he couldn't be a QB (BEHIND BRETT FAVRE!!!!) and he bailed again.

This man is such a cry baby. Listen man....these men are offering you millions of dollars to sit your lil' ass on a bench, then go out, run and catch balls. What's the problem?!

My extra theory is this: He sees these safeties that he wants no part of. The hard-hitting ones...the ones that knocked Keyshawn and Moss senseless. The one who put Darrell Jackson out. The ones that live to hit. Maybe that's it...but for a few million dollars, I'd be happy to take the chance. Crouch is a wuss.

I vote to remove Crouch from the Heisman list....and replace him with REX GROSSMAN!
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 04:11 AM   #19
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by TRAVIS13
Hey J I never brought the super bowl into any of my posts here so you better know that. Beside that the greatest quarterback to ever lace on the shoes never won a super bowl so i dig your point there man. I think even if doug flutie was good when he was 40 he would have been still playing not sitting on his can watching a rookie and that is common sense. He was a cfl qb and nfl wannabe. Hethen if you like the cfl then you can have it. Don,t let me stop your fun or whatever you call it. lol

Apparently you forgot about Joe Theismann, Travis. He played in Canada after he graduated from Notre Dame - then later led the Redskins to victory in Super Bowl XVII.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:20 PM   #20
TRAVIS13
Banned

I never saw joe theisman play but I know he did a pretty good job. But I think mostly he was good coaching by joe gibbs though and the whole team was real good. His qb rating is only 71 for his carreer and that is not really good. He talks to big though if you want to ask me. Pretty boys like that are not my cup of tea. I bet nobody in the cfl was around as big and bad as Larwence taylor to break his leg in half either. Right? And look what happened. So what are you going to say next anthony? Probably something about warren moon right? I,m waiting.

t13 is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2003, 02:58 PM   #21
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Who cares about Flutie's days in SD, folks? At 38-39, it was obvious to the world he was going there to stand in till the next guy could be brought in.

I refer to his Bills days, where he was a decent QB in the NFL. Won his share of games, and lost his share of games. At 34/35/36, one of the more exciting guys handling the ball in Buffalo. But, again, two things there conspired against him:Wade Phillips coached like a bum, especially toward the end of his tenure there, and the team around him was aging beyond effectiveness or too inexperienced to be counted upon. Remember, he came off the bench to get the Bills going beyond the wild card game... until the Music City Miracle played its role.

Dave
Old 07-24-2003, 03:01 PM   #22
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

By the way, T, until you find the GD apostrophe key and say something that could be construed as reasonably intelligent, I'm going to hold against you the fact that you've never seen Joe Theismann play. If you really knew the game as well as you so often claim, you'd at least have caught highlights. ESPN runs any variety of NFL Films' productions on its family of channels nearly 24 hours a day. Theismann is likely to be in at least an hour of those NFL Films shows every week.

Dave
Old 07-24-2003, 03:07 PM   #23
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I vote to remove Crouch from the Heisman list....and replace him with REX GROSSMAN!
Yeah, I think everyone knows Grossman deserved the Heisman that season.

Crouch playing Qb in the NFL was almost as big of a joke as him winning the Heisman and Nebraska going to the BCS title game after getting pounded by over 25 points by Colorado.

Crouch wanted to play QB, no team in the NFL is going to let that happen, so he stands his ground and leaves the game. I thought he would give more effort at other positions, but obviously his heart is not in it to play other positions.

How does he expect to play QB in the NFL when in his senior year Crouch threw 4 more interceptions than he did touchdowns at Nebraska....LOL. I know they had a running/option offense, but still, that is sad.

Joey
Old 07-24-2003, 03:39 PM   #24
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Crouch might get his shot, Joey. How many times did some fool coach give the ball to the likes of Danny Wuerffel, saying, "It's gotta click for him SOMETIME!!"

I'm being mostly facetious here, just to be sure.

Dave
Old 07-24-2003, 03:52 PM   #25
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Dave, good point on Wuerffel, and I certainly agree with you. But at least Wuerffel had the numbers coming into the NFL. Granted Wuerffel played in a system that helped his numbers dramatically, but I don't see Crouch having that much success in the Florida Gators system, nor any NFL system. That is why Crouch went to Nebraska, which was a team known for running the ball with the occasional pass.

Crouch has shown his greatness in running the ball and making plays with his feet rather than his arm or passing ability, so the only shot I see Crouch getting is at another position besides QB. Had Crouch shown anytime during his playing career he could play QB effectively from a passing standpoint, then maybe he would get his shot.

Now that Crouch has quit 2 times, that really hurts his chances even more.

Two other great Nebraska Qbs never got a shot in the NFL either in Tommy Frazier and Scott Frost. Frost now plays defensive back and Frazier is an assistant coach with Baylor last time I heard. I did hear that Frazier did have a stint with a CFL team a few years though.

Joey
Old 07-24-2003, 05:34 PM   #26
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road
Talking hasn't he ever heard of an audition?

Hey, Dave, good to see your posting.
While you have to admire Crouch's desire to play quarterback, even to the point of giving back piles of money to make his point, you've got to wonder what he's thinking when it comes to the long term.
Crouch has got to realize that he's going to have to go into a training camp where he's going to be the fourth thrower and designated waiver bait.
But you know what, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing. Brett Favre and Kurt Warner have been there before, so was Johnny Unitas. With a decent training camp, he might have caught the attention of another team.
Right now, he comes off as a prima donna who played in a program that didn't prepare him for playing QB in the NFL and doesn't want to pay his dues.
ESP0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:31 PM   #27
TRAVIS13
Banned

Hey dave flutie had one good year man. His other year as a buffalo bills he was a 75 point passer like he was for his below average nfl career. So did he have bad coaching in chicago and new england and sandiego to??? Man why do you want to stretch to give this little guy so much credit. I don,t really get that. Whatever. I saw highlights of theismann yes. I just never saw him play a real live game. Sorry i,m not an old fart yet. LOL I know what kind of nfl player he was. My dad talked about him sometime. and guys like dan fouts and ken stabler and roger stuabach. Theisman did not have a strong arm man. He moved around a lot. Yeah he was ok. That,s what i know of him beside getting his leg busted up when he was in the nfl.

t13 is out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2003, 10:59 PM   #28
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

As Brad O pointed out in another thread, Theisman was a scrambler who won a Super Bowl.

I'm not really sure your opinion weighs terribly much if you have almost ZERO historical perspective. Makes me wonder why you've given Marino the GREATEST QB EVER mantle, when, if you missed Theisman, you missed the best part of Marino's career, as well.

Flutie did indeed have bad coaching in New England and Chicago. (Ditka is so exceedingly overrated that it boggles the mind). Meanwhile, his time in NE and Chicago also preceded his time in the CFL. In the CFL, he learned maturity and how to throw the ball with command, not to mention the confidence required of a winner. (Flutie's year with former SD coach Mike Riley can't be described as bad coaching as much as it can be described as "potentially the worst coaching job by one guy in the same place for three years." Riley was a joke NFL coach. By the time Schottenheimer came to town, Flutie was so past his prime, there is little else to say.)

Your #2 QB Warner took a similar route to "greatness." Warner played semi-football for a couple years before being brought to the NFL. Of course, if Trent Green's leg doesn't get wrenched, maybe Warner never throws a pass in anger in the NFL...

ESP- All you have to do is check a thread, almost any thread, to catch me posting. I don't really buy Crouch as an NFL QB, don't get me wrong. I agree with Joey that his failure to complete a healthy training camp will limit his opportunities in the league in the future, at any position. But, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he gets another shot somewhere. Heck, one never knows, maybe Reeves will go to the Single Wing or whatever and bring him in to spell Vick...

Dave
Old 07-25-2003, 02:13 AM   #29
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I will tell you what IS out of the realm of possibility, though....Crouch getting that shot and making a Unitas/Favre/Warner career out of it, or even a Kitna/Fiedler/Mitchell career out of it. As Joey pointed out, I can't believe that U/F/W's QB numbers in college were as bad as Crouch's at Nebraska. And, for that matter, if he doesn't want to listen to reason or money to stay in the NFL....well, does hard-headedness in the fact of reality strike anyone as a good quality for a quarterback to have?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 10:26 AM   #30
TRAVIS13
Banned

Don,t start the scrambling talk again now dave. We beat that horse to his death already. I don,t think you ever saw johnny unitas play or bart star play but you know about how great they were. so does that mean that you don,t have history perspective? Come on man. Look at the nfl record book and dan marino owns it. Yeah kurt warner was in the arena league and everyone knows that. So what? He ws the mvp of the nfl and he had marshall falk and issac bruce and some others on his team that could be great but took a back seat to warner. Now look at joe theisman. I know he had his kicker win the mvp award. BA HAHAHA the kicker????? ba haha that is to funny man. I alread siad that theisman was ok. I wouldn,t pick him to qb my team but he was ok.