Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road
Default 05-06 Season

Sports Illustrated put out their college football finale and stated their top 10 of the 05-06 season. This included USC at #1 (big surprise ), Michigan at #2, and Texas at #3. Some fair 'surprises' is seeing Virginia Tech at #7 and Florida at #8.

I think SI put way too much stock in Vince Young leading Texas to #3. Their guaranteed one loss in the Red River Shootout (as history would go.)

Their also putting too much stock in Virginia Tech's Marcus Vick. Didn't he get suspended from the team and is nowhere near his brother's level?

And Florida at #8? I love Urban Meyer, but two underclassmen All-SEC performers are gone (RB Ciatrick Fason and LB Channing Crowder). They seem to think though that Chris Leak will thrive under the new coach's offensive scheme. They got him up there for Heisman.

Tennessee and LSU are the other two SEC teams in the top 10 at #4 and #10 respectively. Tennessee might be a bit of a reach as I still didn't see that they were that good this year. And LSU may have some troubles for Les Miles, but he's taking about 3 years worth of top 5 recruiting classes into his ranks.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Texas is overrated. What's new? Texas and Mack Brown seem to always be overrated. Both Texas and Oklahoma lose key players on both side of the ball but losing Cedric Benson, Derrick Johnson and Rodrique Wright may be too hard to overcome.

Urban Meyer needs a year to get things together at Florida. Crowder and Fason are huge losses and Tennessee looks to be the favorite going into the season in the SEC East with Georgia and Florida looking at #2. Don't forget Spurrier and South Carolina either.

Here's my early Top 10:
1. USC
2. Tennessee
3. Michigan
4. Iowa
5. Oklahoma
6. Miami
7. Texas
8. LSU
9. Louisville
10. Texas A&M

Seems to me there is a clear cut #1, USC, and then a bunch of other teams that could end up at #2. I'm going with Tennessee. All of those teams lose top players but the Vols have a good deal of momentum after slaughtering Texas A&M at the Cotton Bowl.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Wasn't Tennessee always overrated but just one loss (to Florida) away from a national title every year until they finally did it the year after losing Peyton Manning?

I'm not saying this is the year Texas wins that national championshp, but sooner or later Mack Brown is going to beat Oklahoma.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Hmmm....the Tennessee parallel hadn't occured to me. Still, I keep uncharitably thinking "sooner or later, Texas is gonna slump to 5-6" rather than "sooner or later, Mack Brown will beat Oklahoma."

BTW, Noon (off-topic), as a KU fan, who do you hate more: K-State or Missouri? Whatever your answer, do you think most KU fans would agree?

I wonder this about every school with two (or more) established rivals. I always want to tell them, "Alright, come on, pick one. You get one rival. Who do you want? K-State? Okay. Missouri? Take a hike. You're out. Go start a rivalry with Truman State or something."

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

There's no doubt it's Missouri.

The problem with K-State is that the differences are too big between the programs. KU has beaten K-State in basketball like 80 times in a row and until this season (thank god) K-State had beaten KU 11 times in a row in football. There has to be some parity between two schools for it to truly be a rivalry.

Of course, in Central Kansas, where I now reside, there are a lot of KU basketball-K-State football fans, which aggravates the crap out of me. Pick one or the other, you can't have both.

But to get back to your question, I would say Kansas' biggest rival is Missouri and I would say about 80% of the die-hard Jayhawk fans would agree with me. I usually root against both K-State and Missouri, but if they're playing each other, it's always nice to see Mizzou go down.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Gotcha. Interestingly, I was lurking on a - I don't remember if it was KU or K-State, or even why I was there - message board a few months ago, and this message board had a KU/KSU smack board.

And the whole board amounted to, "We kick your ass in football!" "Oh yeah?!?! We kick your ass in basketball!!" just like you intimated.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Hmmm....the Tennessee parallel hadn't occured to me. Still, I keep uncharitably thinking "sooner or later, Texas is gonna slump to 5-6" rather than "sooner or later, Mack Brown will beat Oklahoma."
even as a die-hard Longhorn fan, this was our best year to beat OU i think....and i think when we finally do beat OU, it will be one of those 5-6 years, where OU is just overlooking us because we suck, and we come in and take them out of the National Championship picture...

thats just how i picture it actually happening...i was actually kinda hoping that the Longhorns would lose to OK State this year, so that Texas might finally get a new coach, but then here we go and give Mack a 10 year extension
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:35 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

According to this poll, Ohio State will play the #2 and #3 teams in the nation next year. Not to shabby.

Too early for polls, but teams to watch out for next year...

Pac Ten...
Southern Cal
Arizona State

Big Ten...
Michigan
Ohio State

SEC...
Florida
Tennessee

ACC
Virginia Tech
Miami

Big 12
Oklahoma
Colorado

Big East
no one

Teams that will fail miserably for a wide range of reasons...

LSU
Stanford
Purdue
Florida State
Pittsburgh
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:02 AM   #9
coachJ
All-Star Player

How is Oklahoma a team to watch for next year and Texas is not? OU loses more key players then Texas does.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:03 AM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I think Oklahoma is getting addition by subtraction here coachJ. New blood at qb is going to be just what Oklahoma needed when they threaten to go undefeated again. I believe that Thompson kid is going to be their qb if memory serves me. An athlete, with good arm strength, will alter Stoops' plans on offense.

The real difference here is the schedule. Texas at Ohio State is going to be a tough game compared to Oklahoma going out to Pasadena to play UCLA. Oklahoma hosts Ok. St., A&M, and K St. They travel to Lincoln, which isn't what it once was with Callahan calling the shots.

Texas plays at Ohio St., at Missouri ( who should be vastly improved), at Ok St., and at A&M. Throw in a home game against Colorado ( who Oklahoma doesn't play and who I think will continue to improve) and the schedule is going to do Texas in.

I see 3 losses for Texas...

at Ohio State
Oklahoma
and one more, most likely against Colorado
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:40 AM   #11
coachJ
All-Star Player

well i didnt know the schedules for each team, cuz when i went to that link the last time it would work for me....but i still wish they wouldnt hav gave Mack Brown that 10 year extension....to me, thats like saying you dont want to be in National Championship contention for 10 years, because we cant be OU.