Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 07-19-2002, 02:55 AM   #1
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

WildVikings is on a distinguished road
Default Hockey Trivia

Question 1 -- HHOF
Who is the first Russian born hockey player to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame? How many NHL games did he play in.
Answered Correctly by shaggy735
Tretiak, 0 NHL games

Question 2 -- Obscure Rulings
You are watching your favorite team play in a game when they make a blunder and the opposition team gets a breakaway. Their player has a clear unobstructed path to the net, he is skating down the boards when he passes infront of your teams bench. A player on that bench reaches out and clotheslines the player on a breakaway. A scrum of pushing and shoving ensues, nobody throws down the gloves, and when everything finally clears you notice the referee pointing at center ice.

What just happened?
Answered Correctly by SC-Lee
A penalty shot was awarded. I would also accept a goal was awarded, if you assumed the goalie was pulled.

Question 3 -- Hockey History
With regards to the NHL, answer the following: What is the purpose of the redline? Has the NHL always had the redline? If no, when was it adopted? What was the redline original intended to do?
Answered by SC-Lee
Redline is used for icing and for "two line pass". I add the following....."The redline was adopted during WWII, it was part of a general rule change intended to increase offense, due to the loss of many skill players to the war effort. Originally no forward passing was allowed, the game evolved and prior to the adoption of the redline forward passing was allowed in the offensive, neutral, and defensive zones but you couldnt make a forward pass from one zone to another. The redline came in and they allowed forward passes from the defensive zone, but restricted it with the center line offside.

Question 4 -- Player Histroy
Who is the youngest player to ever play in the National Hockey League?

Question 5 -- more obscure rulings
List three different ways that a player on your team can be ejected from the faceoff circle.
Answered Correctly by SC-Lee
1. Not Square to face off dot.("T" painted on ice)
2. Teammate prematurly enters faceoff circle
3. Away Team stick must be put on ice first, then Home Team. Failure to comply with Linesmen instruction will have you ejected

Question 6 -- Rookie Salary Cap
The 1995 CBA negotiations resulted in the adoption of the rookie salary cap that is meant to restrict the total compensation payable to a player that is playing on his rookie contract(3 years).

Last season Dany Heatley reported earned 4 million dollars, this is 4 times greater than the base amount allowable under the rookie salary cap. Is Bettmans cap ineffective? Has it been circumvented? If Yes, how?

Question 7 -- Waiver Draft
During a waiver draft, your favorite team doesnt claim any players from any other teams. How many players, in total could they lose in the draft if they have 15 unprotected skaters and 1 unprotected goalie??

Question 8 -- Expensive Hockey
What team had the highest annual average ticket price during the 2001-02 NHL season?

Question 9 -- statistical analysis
True or False: A +/- is ONLY awarded for regular strength goals, goals scored in specialty team situations do not result in +/-.
Correctly Answered by SC-Lee
False. Shorthanded goals result in +/-.

Question 10 -- Entry Draft Eligibility
I have two nephews that play hockey in the WHL, both of them are extremely good hockey players that will surely make it into the NHL. They both turn 18 in September of 2003, one has his birthday on the 14th and one has his birthday on the 16th.

In which years entry draft will these players be drafted. Are you sure about that?

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.

Last edited by WildVikings; 07-20-2002 at 01:46 PM.
WildVikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 03:30 PM   #2
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

1 Vladislav Tretiak

NHL games - 0

He played his entire career in the former USSR

tumblr | twitter

Last edited by Heathen; 07-19-2002 at 03:33 PM.
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 11:56 PM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

#2 -- In the NHL, the ref pointing at center ice means a penalty shot..... In the CHA and International hockey, pointing to center ice means a faceoff at center ice and a penalty shot signal is the ref's arms crossed above his head.

#3 -- Redline is for ruling if the puck is iced or if a player received a 2-line offside pass. I dunno if the redline has always been a part of the NHL but I know that in the 60s they made it dotted for TV purposes

#4 -- ??

#5 -- 1) Not square to the faceoff dot... 2) Giving instructions to your teammate when the other center is at the dot already (wasting time)... 3) Teammate has a skate in the "invisible line" area between the hash marks... 4) don't put stick in the proper position (the white areas on the faceoff dot)... there are more but those are all valid

#7 -- 3 is my guess

#8 -- Toronto is my guess (especially since they went up AGAIN for the 2002-2003 season by 10%)

#9 -- False. +/- points are awarded only in even strength situations BUT negative points are awarded if you give up a goal when your team is on the power play.

#10 -- I dunno but if you really have nephews that age, my 18th is this upcoming September 14th too! :nod:

.....I'll post some trivia later.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 01:48 PM   #4
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

Questions 4,6,7,8,10 still not answered correctly. Ill give a few more days for you to ponder them, then Ill post the answers.

Lemaires nephew, Manny Fernandez, turned aside 30 shots to earn the win. Bill Muckalt ended his 76 game scoring funk by netting 2 goals and 18 year old rookie Pierre-Marc Bouchard earns his 2nd NHL assist in as many games.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Hmmm..... I'm stuck on those ones.... I made a "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" hockey computer game a few years ago in QBASIC for my computer programming course...if any of you want, I can e-mail it to you but you need a Windows98 or Win95 CD-ROM 'cuz you need the program to run it (maybe the WinXP CD has it too -- I'm not sure)...... Here's some of the harder questions on it.

Hockey History
The last two games of the Stanley Cup finals in 1919 were cancelled due to what?
WildVikings got this correct -- Influenza Epidemic

NHL Awards
Who is the only NHL player to win the Calder, Art Ross, Pearson, Hart, and Conn Smythe awards over the course of a career?
WildVikings got this correct -- Mario Lemiuex

Hockey Arenas
What city was the first in Canada to boast artificial ice?
WildVikings got this correct -- Vancouver

NHL Stats
Who has scored the most game winning goals in one playoff series?
WildVikings got this correct -- Mike Bossy

Player History
Who was the first Atlanta Thrasher player?

Team History
How many NHL teams remain in their original cities from the NHL's 1979 WHA expansion year?
WildVikings got this correct -- 1, Edmonton Oilers

...More player history
After drafting Eric Lindros in 1991, the Quebec Nordiques traded him to two teams. The arbitrator sent Lindros to the Philadelphia Flyers. Who was the other team involved?
WildVikings got this correct -- NY Rangers

Obscure Stats
The most recent penalty-free game took place in what year?
Probie24 got this correct -- April, 2000 in a game between Detroit and Colorado

Obscure Facts!...
Who appeared on the cover of the official 1999-2000 NHL Rule Book?

NHL Stats...
Who was the first American-born player to tally 1, 000 points in his NHL career?
WildVikings got this correct -- Joe Mullen

Obscure Stats...
What is goalie Fred Brathwaite's highest season total for goals in one professional hockey season?
WildVikings got this correct -- one

More obscure stats...
How many wins did the Pittsburgh Penguins get all-time in the old Montreal Forum?

Last edited by lmanchur.; 07-22-2002 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:03 PM   #6
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

Hockey History
The last two games of the Stanley Cup finals in 1919 were cancelled due to what?
Flu Epidemic

NHL Awards
Who is the only NHL player to win the Calder, Art Ross, Pearson, Hart, and Conn Smythe awards over the course of a career?
Mario Lemieux

Hockey Arenas
What city was the first in Canada to boast artificial ice?
Vancouver

NHL Stats
Who has scored the most game winning goals in one playoff series?
Im not sure if there are others here, but Mike Bossy got 4 against Bean Town in the early 80's

Player History
Jamie Pushor was the first player picked by them in the expansion draft, but im not sure if they signed anyone before that

Team History
How many NHL teams remain in their original cities from the NHL's 1979 WHA expansion year?
1. Edmonton Oilers. Hartford is now Carolina, Quebec is now Colorado, and Winnipeg is now Phoenix.

...More player history
After drafting Eric Lindros in 1991, the Quebec Nordiques traded him to two teams. The arbitrator sent Lindros to the Philadelphia Flyers. Who was the other team involved?
New York Rangers

Obscure Stats
Havent the foggiest

Obscure Facts!...
I cant find my 1999-2000 rulebook, borrowed it out to someone no doubt never got it back Anyway, in lieu of actually looking at the cover Ill have to throw out a guess....
Andy Van Hellemond

NHL Stats...
Who was the first American-born player to tally 1, 000 points in his NHL career?
Mullen, Joe

Obscure Stats...
What is goalie Fred Brathwaite's highest season total for goals in one professional hockey season?
1 goal in the IHL

More obscure stats...
How many wins did the Pittsburgh Penguins get all-time in the old Montreal Forum?
No clue..... 0???

Old 07-21-2002, 09:10 PM   #7
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

Answers to my unanswered questions:

#4: Youngest Player to play in the NHL was Bep Guidolin.

#6: The rookie salary cap was not circumvented. The CBA states that performance bonuses are paid as non-cap dollars. But the player must meet requirements set out by the league in the CBA. Minimum goals, assists, points, +/-, GWG, PPG, votes for awards are all specified.

# 7: In the waiver draft a team may lose 3 skaters and 1 goaltender under normal circumstances.

#8: The highest annual average ticket price was paid by dallas stars fans. $75.91 USD

#10: Sept 15th is the cutoff day, the nephew born on the 14th could "opt in" to the 2003 draft, while the nephew born on the 16th could only "opt-in" for the 2004 draft.

Old 07-22-2002, 01:31 AM   #8
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

See my edits for the ones you got right...

...for the ones you got wrong.. . . . . . . .

Player History

Your Answer: Jamie Pushor -- nope, not him nor Patrik Stefan (first player in entry draft)... dig deeper

Obscure Stats

Your Answer: No clue -- think... it was actually not too long ago, and it occured against the two most unlikeliest opponents

Obscure Facts!...

Your Answer: Andy Van Hellemond -- a good guess because he was inducted into the hall in November 1999... unfortunatley it was not him nor any other referee.

Obscure Stats...

Your Answer: 1 goal in the IHL -- No, but close (yes, it was with the Manitoba Moose in the IHL)

More obscure stats...

Your Answer: 0 -- No, but it wasn't very many considering the amount of time the Fourm and Penguins were around.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:55 AM   #9
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

Actually, my Andy Van Hellemond guess was because he became NHL Director of Officiating in 1999.

I am interested in your Fred Brathwaite answer, must be a trick question because I am sitting here looking at his stats. He has scored 2 goals in his entire career. One with Detroit Jr. Red Wings in 1992-93 OHL Playoffs, and 1 with Manitoba Moose in 1996-97. Since the two goals werent scored in the same year, and they are the only two goals of his career I fail to see how the answer could be greater than 1. And, since the IHL is a farm team of the NHL, for the purposes of hockey it is considered to be "pro" so the answer cant be 0.

Old 07-22-2002, 11:21 AM   #10
Probie24
Rookie Player

Probie24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Obscure Stats

Your Answer: No clue -- think... it was actually not too long ago, and it occured against the two most unlikeliest opponents
I'm pretty sure it was between Detroit and Colorado, not sure which season it was 1999/2000 or 2000/2001. I'll guess 2000/2001.
Probie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 12:09 PM   #11
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Vikings -- I thought he scored 2 goals one year with the Moose... I guess not 'cuz I just re-cheked his stats and ya, he just scored the 1 pro goal in '96... Sorry about that. ...and either way, it was not Van Hellemond on the cover of the '99 rule book.

Probie24 -- Yes, it was between Detroit and Colorado and it was in April 2000 (1999/2000) .... obviously, both were gauranteed playoff berths and both had their divisions wrapped up so they didn't play aggressively right before the playoffs and played a penalty free game.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:01 PM   #12
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

More short answer questions:

1. Who scored the last goal in Maple Leafs Gardens?

2. Who scored the last goal in the Montreal Forum?

3. Who scored the first goal in Minnesota Wild History?

4. Who did Ray Bourque change his number for?

5. Does the drawing of blood on a highstick require a double minor? Yes or No?

6. Who is the first goalie in NHL History to wear a mask?

7. The Detroit Red Wings are named after the Montreal Winged Wheelers? Yes or No.

8. Who was the referee in chief for the not defunct WHA?

9. If a player shoots the puck shortly after the whistle he can be penalized for it? True or False.

10. How many goals must a player on his rookie salary cap score in order to earn a legitimate performance bonus as specified in the Collective Bargaining Agreement?

Old 07-22-2002, 11:52 PM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

#2 - Stephan Quintal rings a bell....

#3 - Gaborik is the easiest gues

#4 - easy -- Phil Esposito

#5 - NO, it does NOT. That is the common misconseption about this rule. Blood does NOT mean INJURY which is the rule -- if you INJURE a player with a high stick, it is a double minor penalty, 4 minutes

#6 - Jacques Plante with Montreal wasn't the first one to do it... someone did it before him but he was hte first one to use a mask that was actually comfortable and worked and he was the one that popularized it... I read a book once about who was the first to actually wear one in an NHL game... hopefully I can dig that out if you didn't know that, WildVikings

#9 -- referee's discretion regarding the situation but it could be an unsportsmanlike penalty (depending on how much time went by, noise level in the arena, situation, etc.)

#10 -- 20???
Old 07-23-2002, 03:42 AM   #14
WildVikings
Grizzled Veteran

#2: He may ring a bell, but he didnt get the finally tally in the forum

#3: Gaborik is correct, the Slovakian Sensation scored their first goal, their first powerplay goal, and their first home game goal. As an 18yr old he showed tremedous potential, his 30 goals as a 19yr old is only the beginning. On a side note, Gaborik walked into training camp that first year, played a scrimage game on the first day and scored a goal 30 seconds in.

#4: Correct

#5: Correct, that is the most common myth perpetuated by the media.

#6: I already knew that. I was attempting to bait people into saying Jacques Plante.

The mans name is Clint Benedict. He played in the NHL from its inception in 1917 to his retirement in 1930. It is actually quite an interesting turn of events that lead him to be the first goalie with a mask.

In 1930 Bendict's Montreal Maroons were playing against the Montreal Canadiens when Howie Morenz let go a high rising slap shot that caught Bendict on the nose. The shot broke his nose and cheekbone, hospitalizing Benedict for over a month. When he returned, he did so with a makeshift mask that covered his forehead, nose and cheekbone.

Shortly after he returned to the game, he played the Canadians again. And for a second time a high rising slap shot from Howie Morenz caught Benedict off guard. This time it caught him in the throat, again sending him to the hospital. Benedict retired shortly after this incident.

#9: The question here is whether a player can be penalized for shooting the puck after the whistle. The answer is no he cant.

A player can, however, be penalized for shooting the puck away from an official after a stoppage in play. I make this distinction because I made this error once myself and my frantic search through the rulebook at intermission came up empty. My referee in chief at the time appeared amused at the situation. I went out and finished the game wondering what the consequence would be.

Old 07-23-2002, 10:28 AM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Well, if he shows anger (close offside or something happened behind the play he was unaware of) and shoots the puck at a player or goalie or over the glass on purpose, you should be allowed to call an unsportsmanlike penalty at your discretion, no!?