Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 03-02-2004, 01:00 AM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default BCS to add 5th bowl game.

I think this is fantastic..

Quote:
The Bowl Championship Series announced Sunday it will likely add a fifth bowl game after its current contract runs out and came up with a plan to allow more schools to participate in BCS bowls. Additional money would also be allocated to schools not part of the original six BCS conferences.

University of Oregon president Dave Frohnmayer, speaking at the Fontainebleau Hilton on behalf of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee, said schools from all Division I conferences would have better chances to playing in the higher-paying BCS bowls when the contract is reworked later this year.

The contract, which includes ABC Sports, expires after the 2005 season.

''We have substantially increased the opportunities for Division I-A colleges to participate in BCS bowl games,'' Frohnmayer said. ``We have adjusted revenue distribution formulas to recognize the participation of those institutions not presently in the BCS conferences.''

Schools in Conference USA, Mountain West and the Western Athletic, among others, have complained about being left out of the bowl equation -- and the large disparity of financial differences among the conferences.

Frohnmayer didn't say whether the fifth bowl, if ABC goes for it, would be an existing bowl or one created. The Gator Bowl in Jacksonville had expressed interest in being part of the rotation when the BCS was created. The Cotton Bowl and Holiday Bowl could be existing bowls which would vie for a spot.

The fifth bowl would take on the same significance as the original four, and would be part of the national championship rotation.

Since the BCS began in 1998, no slot in the four bowls in the rotation -- the Orange, Sugar, Rose and Fiesta -- has gone to a school outside the original BCS leagues. Frohnmayer said the Big East, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-10 and Big 12 would remain part of the league.

If the new guidelines had been in effect, Tulane's unbeaten 1998 team would have likely been granted a BCS invitation. That year, the Green Wave qualified for the wild-card pool, but Ohio State and Florida were selected to play in BCS bowls. Tulane had to settle for a berth in the Liberty Bowl after winning the C-USA title.

''If the [new] rules we had were in place,'' said Tulane president Scott Colyan, ``four of the last six years, a conference champion from a coalition school would have played in a BCS bowl. We will have significantly improved access.''
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I'm all in favor of a 5th BCS bowl but the Big East's automatic bid should be revoked. I would have an extremely hard time making a case for them being any better than the Mountain West (especially if they are still trying to add Boise State). West Virginia and dare I say Pitt are the only decent teams left in the conferece.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Don't forget Louisville, Alex. They're decent.

I think next year will be an interesting year in the Big East. A down year, at that.

I think I tend to agree that the Big East doesn't deserve an automatic bid, but I can't say I'm terribly disappointed by the retention of autobid.

Dave
Old 03-03-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Don't forget Louisville, Alex. They're decent.
Dave
True. They may be even better than Pitt in 2004. West Virginia has got to be the pre-season favorite going into it. I'd say there is a very good chance the Mountaineers could be headed to a BCS bowl this January.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #5
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

I hope that they add the Peach Bowl, and have the ACC champ play the SEC champ in Atlanta. That would be good.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote