Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Time Change Impacts NFC Playoff Picture

This Sunday's Carolina at Tampa Bay game was originally slated to kick off at 1:00 PM EST, but has been pushed back to a 4:15 PM EST kickoff - a move that has massive ramifications so far as the muddled NFC playoff race is concerned.

Another game of interest is the one in which the Falcons, who are already locked into the #2 seed in the conference and thus have absolutely nothing to play for, visit the Saints in a game that starts at 1:00 PM. Should the Saints win - and they actually opened as 2-point favorites to do so - the Giants and Lions are immediately eliminated from playoff contention even if they win their respective games that will be going on at the same time; and most significantly of all, the Buccaneers will be eliminated before their game against Carolina has even started, or perhaps a few minutes after it has gotten under way.

The point is, if the Bucs are out of it, Jon Gruden might make a number of lineup changes - most notably at quarterback where he may go with Chris Simms instead of Brian Griese - and this could make it a lot easier for the Panthers to win; and if New Orleans and Carolina both win, every team that is 5-9 going into this week is mathematically eliminated from the wild card race (because both the Saints and Panthers would then be 7-8 and they play each other at Carolina on January 2), although the Cardinals could still actually win the NFC West if they win both of their remaining games and both the Seahawks and Rams lose out.

So this time change doesn't seem fair.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-21-2004 at 08:19 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

I can't say I really have noticed games being pushed back ever until the past week or so when you bring it up.

Does this happen all the time?

and why are the changing the times?
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

They typically change some game times at the end of the year to get games with playoff implications to a broader audience. Typically the 4:15 games on FOX run unopposed on CBS in most markets and vice versa.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 04:04 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

In some cases, the fact that a particular game failed to sell out (Oakland and Jacksonville are the worst offenders) is what triggers the switch; if the same network (FOX or CBS) was not carrying another game in the same time slot as the one that needs to be blacked out (virtually always the late time slot), another game has to be made available for the blacked-out market(s) to watch.

But I've got a more cynical take on this latest move: The league loves the idea that Carolina can become the first team in NFL history ever to make the playoffs after a 1-7 start, so they're "fixing" it so that it happens.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #5
MaddEnemy
Always next year

MaddEnemy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

But I've got a more cynical take on this latest move: The league loves the idea that Carolina can become the first team in NFL history ever to make the playoffs after a 1-7 start, so they're "fixing" it so that it happens.
I knew the league was rigged!
MaddEnemy is offline   Reply With Quote