Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Who is the best postseason running back of the Super Bowl Era?
Marcus Allen 0 0%
Terrell Davis 2 22.22%
Franco Harris 2 22.22%
John Riggins 1 11.11%
Emmitt Smith 3 33.33%
other 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough
Default best playoff RB...

Marcus Allen, Terrell Davis, Franco Harris, John Riggins, and Emmitt Smith are probably the five best postseason running backs of the Super Bowl Era. Each was named Super Bowl MVP once, and all except Allen led their teams to at least two title games. Thurman Thomas was great in the playoffs, but he was terrible in three of his four Super Bowls.

Marcus Allen
* Rushed for 2 TDs in his first playoff game ever, during his rookie season.
* Had five 100-yard games in the postseason.
* In 1983, ran for 121, 154, and 191 yards in three postseason contests. His 191 rushing yards in Super Bowl XVIII were a record at the time, and he was named the game's MVP.
* Played in 16 playoff games.
* STATS: 7-9, 267 att, 1347 yds, 5.04 avg, 11 TD, 530 rec yds
* 84 yards per game

Terrell Davis
* Ran for over 100 yards in his last 7 postseason appearances, including 4 during the 1997 playoffs, capped by his 157-yard, 3-TD performance in the Super Bowl.
* Had seven 100-yard games in the postseason.
* Played in 8 playoff games.
* STATS: 7-1, 204 att, 1140 yds, 5.41 avg, 12 TD, 131 rec yds
* 142.5 yards per game

Franco Harris
* As a rookie, playing in his first postseason game, his Immaculate Reception led the Steelers to their first postseason win in nearly 40 years of operation. Argue whether it was a catch if you want to ruin one of the great moments in NFL history, but it's still a pretty nice way to start your postseason career.
* Had five 100-yard games in the postseason.
* Scored 5 TDs in the 1974 playoffs and rushed for a record 158 yards in Super Bowl IX en route to being named the game's MVP.
* Retired as all-time leader in postseason rushing yards.
* Played in 18 playoff games.
* STATS: 13-5, 400 att, 1556 yds, 3.89 avg
* 86.4 yards per game

John Riggins
* Had six 100-yard games in the postseason.
* In 1982, had arguably the greatest postseason ever by a running back. Before the playoffs started, he told Joe Gibbs to give him the ball, and Gibbs obliged. Riggins responded by running for 119 yards (100 more than Pro Bowler Billy Sims) in a 31-7 pasting of the Lions, then 185 and a TD against Minnesota, and 140 yards and two TDs against the archrival Cowboys in the NFC Championship Game.
* Riggins was named MVP of Super Bowl XVII, rushing for 166 yards, including one of the most famous plays in Super Bowl history. With Washington down 17-13 in the 4th quarter, Riggins took a handoff on 4th-and-1. He bulled over one defender, shook off another, and rumbled 43 yards for the game-winning TD.
* Combined for 242 yards and 5 TDs in two playoff games in 1983. In Super Bowl XVIII, he was held to 64 yards but scored Washington's only touchdown.
* Played in 9 playoff games.
* STATS: 6-3, 251 att, 996 yds, 3.97 avg, 12 TD, 45 rec yds
* 111 yards per game

Emmitt Smith
* Ran for 105 yards and a TD in his first playoff game.
* Has seven 100-yard games in the postseason.
* MVP of Super Bowl XXVIII, which was characterized by a third-quarter scoring drive on which Emmitt gained 61 of the team's 64 yards and scored a TD.
* Played in 17 playoff games.
* STATS: 12-5, 349 att, 1586 yds, 4.54 avg, 19 TD, 342 rec yds
* 93 yards per game

===

I'm torn between Harris, Riggins, and Smith at the top, with Davis ahead of Allen for fourth. Smith is famous for playing with perhaps the best supporting cast in history, but Riggins had the Hogs and Harris played with 7 Hall of Famers, so that's not helping me break the tie. I voted for Riggins.

Last edited by Brad O.; 06-25-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 01:25 AM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I voted for Terrell Davis for a these reasons....

1. He had the highest yards per carry average

2. He ran for over 100 yards in 7 of the 8 games he played in postseason wise.

3. He has the highest average yards per game total, and led that category by over 30 yards per game.

4. His teams went an amazing 7-1 in the playoffs, and I think their only loss was to Jacksonville.

5. Had the best touchdown ratio in comparison to how many games he actually played in the playoffs.

I know he did not play in as many playoff games as some of the other running backs on the list, but for the ones he did play in, he was beyond great. His numbers are just so good during that 3 year span, that even running backs who have played in the playoffs for 7 to 9 years still would not get the nod from me.

Joey
Old 06-27-2003, 12:26 AM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I voted Emmitt because of all the titles he won and his great consistensy. Davis is a close second, however.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 10:44 AM   #4
aftblcoach
Rookie Player

aftblcoach is on a distinguished road

Gotz to be 2 of my favorite RB's, Terrell and Emmit.
aftblcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:25 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

i went with Franco Harris. just look at his play off stats and you'll know why