Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 10-14-2001, 10:31 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Early Season Hockey Power Rankings

I think the title of the page from the link below says it all: "early surprises jumble things up." My hockey knowledge is severely limited, but even I know that the following teams have either slipped greatly or dropped greatly from preseason expectations:

1. Islanders
2. Devils
3. Maple Leafs and Penguins

How is your team doing? Do you agree/disagree with the ranks? Post your surprises!

From Sportsline:
Quote:
1. Detroit Red Wings (2): G Dominik Hasek is up to his old tricks and the offense looks as potent as advertised.

2. Colorado Avalanche (3): The Avs had 10 new players in the lineup on opening night, but they looked just as smooth as when they skated around with the Stanley Cup in June.

3. Washington Capitals (5): Jagr is supposed to create offense for a team known exclusively for its defense. Six goals against New Jersey in the opener isn't a bad start.

4. Philadelphia Flyers (1): Third-period charges against the Panthers and the Blue Jackets show this team cannot be counted out no matter what the score.

5. Carolina Hurricanes (16): Like Rodney Dangerfield, this team gets no respect. They deserve some after solid victories over the Rangers and the Stars.

6. Boston Bruins (19): Their leading scorer, Jason Allison, is holding out, but the B's have started 2-0 for the first time in seven years. Of course, playing the Mighty Ducks and Thrashers helped.

7. Calgary Flames (23): G Roman Turek earned shutouts in his first two games with Calgary. If he played like this last spring, he'd still be in St. Louis and have his name on the Stanley Cup.

8. New York Islanders (18): No wonder GM Mike Milbury is all smiles. Newcomers Mike Peca, Alexei Yashin and Chris Osgood all played key roles as the Isles won their first two games on the road.

9. Montreal Canadiens (21): The Habs offense looked better than it has in two years, and now Doug Gilmour will be in the lineup. Still a long way to go here, but at least the direction is right.

10. Dallas Stars (6): Uninspired efforts in their first two games result in a split but raise questions about this veteran team's work ethic.

11. St. Louis Blues (7): A true Stanley Cup contender needs more than just ties against the Predators and Blue Jackets.

12. Edmonton Oilers (13): Twenty four shots and six goals against Phoenix over the final 40 minutes show how dangerous this team is when on a roll.

13. Ottawa Senators (11): Losing two of three games within your division is bad enough, but giving up more than four goals a game is something to really worry about.

14. Buffalo Sabres (12): G Martin Biron won the season opener and watched from the bench as the Sabres lost the next night. Strange way to handle the guy who has supposedly been passed the torch.

15. New York Rangers (17): They rebounded from a miserable opener with an intense winning effort in Game 2. Those kinds of turnarounds have been associated with the Rangers in recent years. And Lindros is still standing.

16. Minnesota Wild (30): With only four goals, they're less offensive than a room full of Emily Post disciples, but the Wild has managed a victory and a tie in its first two games.

17. Columbus Blue Jackets (26): Hard-fought ties against the Blues and Flyers prove the Jackets will make sure no one takes this second-year club lightly.

18. Anaheim Mighty Ducks (25): Bryan Murray discovered a new way to win games over the weekend. Get Mario Lemieux to sit out against your team.

19. Chicago Blackhawks (27): Is it ever too early to panic in Chicago. Lines are being juggled after Tony Amonte, Alex Zhamnov and Steve Thomas go pointless in the first two games of the season.

20. New Jersey Devils (4): In his first game after getting a $40-million extension, G Martin Brodeur allows five goals on 20 shots and gets pulled after the second period.

21. Atlanta Thrashers (28): Starting the season on the road and without captain Ray Ferraro, the Thrashers grab three of a possible four points against Boston and Buffalo.

22. San Jose Sharks (8): An OT loss to Detroit is forgivable, but playing the Wild to a 0-0 tie? It's time for this team to get over last year's disappointments.

23. Florida Panthers (22): The good thing about being in the same division as the Lightning is that it pretty much guarantees you will avoid the cellar.

24. Phoenix Coyotes (24): G Sean Burke was hoping to get better support from his teammates this season. After facing 73 shots in his first two games, he could use it.

25. Los Angeles Kings (10): A tie with Phoenix and a loss to the Wild is not the way Los Angeles wanted to start the season. This team will need all the points it can get to compete with Dallas and San Jose in the Pacific Division.

26. Nashville Predators (20): Moving forward slowly but surely. Good team effort brings tie against Blues one night after loss to sloppy game to Stars.

27. Toronto Maple Leafs (9): Good thing Toronto fans are patient. They waited until after the second period ended in the season opener to start booing their revamped team's effort.

28. Pittsburgh Penguins (15): Alexei Kovalev says the Penguins will be a lot better 'team' without Jaromir Jagr. Yeah, right.

29. Vancouver Cancucks (14): After two poor efforts, you have to wonder if this team is really good enough to stay on the playoff bubble. Coach Marc Crawford says it's a matter of eliminating 'lapses,' but should there be any this early?

30. Tampa Bay Lightning (29): Goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin's play is supposed to make a big difference to this team. So far it has. He's kept the margin of defeat a lot closer than it should be.

Last edited by Marc; 10-15-2001 at 04:23 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 10:56 AM   #2
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

Well my Rangers are doing alright, same as past seasons. tHey basically stink but the rest of the league isn't too good either so they don't look too bad. The Islanders are doing great right now, those trades they made helped a lot. I'm very disappointed with the Devils, what happened to Brodeur? They're winless so far this season.

I am gonna pick Detroit for the Stanley Cup..

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2001, 11:33 AM   #3
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Marc, from now on, PLEASE.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do yourself a favor and just do NOT talk hockey beacuse you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

1. Capitals have always been in the Top 3 of the Eastern Conference, and everyone expects them to be Top 3 in the NHL now that they have Jagr and a team with extraordinary depth.

2. The Carolina Hurricanes are not an expansion team. They have been around since the early 1970s or even earlier. They were with the Winnipeg Jets, Quebec Nordiques, uhh.. Indianapolis... Edmonton... and a few other teams in the WHA (World Hockey Association) with ceased operations in about 1976 or later when most of the WHA teams joined the NHL: Winnipeg did, Quebec did, Edmonton did, and Carolina did BUT at that time they were in New York, known as the Hartford Whalers. In 1997, they moved to Raleigh, North Carolina because of financial issues. If you are calling the Hurricanes an expansion team, you are therefore calling the 5-time Stanley Cup Champion Edmonton Oilers an expanion team; you are therefore calling the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes an expanion team; and you are therefore calling the Quebec Nordiques and Colorado Avalanche who were the top team in the Eastern Conference for many years, and then moved to the West as the Avs and won the 1996 Stanley Cup and are the defending champions once again for the 2001-2002 season. The Hurricanes aren't exactly "young." Only 4 of their 24 players are under 25.

3. Not me... i figured they'd finish anywhere from just out of the playoffs to 13th in the East... but once they got a proven goalie in Chris Osgood, everyone knew that it automatically made them a Stanley Cup playoff-contending team, if they weren't already.

4. Well, you got one outta four right, at least .... this NHL season has gotten off to and odd footing in that the top teams of recent years are not flying out of the starting blocks.

5. ...I'll just again remind everyone that I predicted the Pens to finish WELL out of the playoffs, but the Leafs' record isn't all that bad at 2-2-1-0. ...It's not like they're the Flames or Canadiens or Minnesota who are unbeaten so far this year, but they aren't playing like the Devils or the Pens or the Blue Jackets who are still winless.

Stick to college football, PLEASE.

As for CBS.... well, that Calgary ranking should be up higher and that Toronto rating should be up higher, as well as Minnesota, while that Devils and Sharks ranking should probably be down a bit more. They did OK on their part.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 04:21 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Whew, calm down, I stand corrected! However, I am not TOTALLY clueless - I was thinking about the Florida Panthers expansion team when I said the Panthers. A simple mix-up in the brain, that's all.

Last edited by Marc; 10-15-2001 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2001, 05:54 PM   #5
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames
Whew, calm down, I stand corrected! However, I am not TOTALLY clueless - I was thinking about the Florida Panthers expansion team when I said the Panthers. A simple mix-up in the brain, that's all.
What are you talking about??? Read what you just said, and then read your first post in this thread -- You never ONCE said the word "Panthers" in your post!
Old 10-16-2001, 04:55 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Oops, that was a link to the College Football board.

Yes, I know I didn't mention the Panthers in my post, I'm sorry if I made it sound like I did, but I meant to say that in my mind, I mixed the two teams up. No big deal.

So anyone else want to comment on their team?
Old 10-17-2001, 08:17 PM   #7
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Oops, that was a link to the College Football board.

So anyone else want to comment on their team?
No "oops" required -- I DID write my post as a link to the College Football board.

As for my team the Senators... they were ranked #13 at the time CBS made these rankings, and are probably about the same at this time, too.. they are now 3-3-1 and will struggle for the next few games as their top d-man, Wade Reddon, is injured.
Old 10-17-2001, 08:50 PM   #8
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Early Season Hockey Power Rankings

Quote:
6. Boston Bruins (19): Their leading scorer, Jason Allison, is holding out, but the B's have started 2-0 for the first time in seven years. Of course, playing the Mighty Ducks and Thrashers helped.

Since then, the B's have gone 1-3-1. Not good. I'm guessing they've dropped quite a few spots.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 04:56 PM   #9
J_Sinclair
Grizzled Veteran

J_Sinclair is on a distinguished road

whoa, why are the leafs so low? they haven't played bad this season, no offense, but i dont think ur sources are too great
J_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 08:06 PM   #10
Marc
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Sinclair
whoa, why are the leafs so low? they haven't played bad this season, no offense, but i dont think ur sources are too great
There is a difference between contemplating whether you agree with the article or not and whether or not it is a valid source. If you are saying CBS Sportsline is a bad source, I will have to disagree. CBS Sportsline is about as reputable as you can get, next to the ranks of ESPN and CNNSI.
Old 10-18-2001, 08:18 PM   #11
bostonsportsfan
Hall of Famer

bostonsportsfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by J_Sinclair

At the time these rankings were made, the Leafs had only played 2 games. They were 0-1-1 at that point, which resulted in the low ranking.
bostonsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 11:14 PM   #12
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

I'm just waiting for Lee to get bashed like this in some other board :lol:
Old 10-19-2001, 12:14 AM   #13
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by NickHammy
I'm just waiting for Lee to get bashed like this in some other board :lol:
Bashed like WHAT? :redhot: I post about things that I actually know about. I rarely post in the NFL forum and college forums and if I do, it's because I'm talking about things I know about, or don't know about and ask a question. I don't post for the sake of posting and make an interpretation that has no backing to it. I watch ALL sports... not just one or two.... I watch every sport almost evenly --except for hockey because I watch more of that than anything else -- but all the other sports I actually watch and follow so I can make decent comments about them on places like this.

Also, on a side note, the Florida Panthers are not NEARLY an "expansion team." They have been in the league for 9 years, have made it to the Stanley Cup Finals once (1996 4-game loss vs. the "expansion" Colorado Avalanche ), and are in a midst of a rebuilding process, but they are most definitely not a recent expansion team... they were added into the NHL along with the Tampa Bay Lightning, Ottawa Senators, San Jose Sharks, and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim back in the early 90s.

Last edited by lmanchur.; 10-20-2001 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-20-2001, 01:36 AM   #14
rezag
Grizzled Veteran

rezag is on a distinguished road

One think you can bank on is that by the end of the season all the teams that are supposed to be top ranked will be top ranked. Every sport from Soccer to Hockey to Baseball is basically divided into the have and have nots .
Yankees and Braves... in baseball. Lakers, Spurs,... in basketball. Soccer dominated by Man Utd.... and the list goes on so except for some early season surprises and a few (very few) 'cindrella' teams a look at recent sports history shows the 'elite' few winning most of the championships and games.
rezag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:28 AM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by rezag
One think you can bank on is that by the end of the season all the teams that are supposed to be top ranked will be top ranked. Every sport from Soccer to Hockey to Baseball is basically divided into the have and have nots .
Yankees and Braves... in baseball. Lakers, Spurs,... in basketball. Soccer dominated by Man Utd.... and the list goes on so except for some early season surprises and a few (very few) 'cindrella' teams a look at recent sports history shows the 'elite' few winning most of the championships and games.
True... very true.... the Yankees in MLB sucked for the first half of the 2000 and 2001 seasons, but then came on strong in the second half and into the playoffs. ...the same should happen this year in the NHL.