Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 08-23-2001, 07:14 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default One-Game Playoff Procedures Are Unfair!

For starters, let's can this coin-flip business. If two teams tie for a division title or a wild card and a one-game playoff is necessary, whoever won the season series between the two teams involved should have home field in the one-game playoff. The complete list of tie-breakers would be:

Within the same division:
1. Season series.
2. Best won-lost record within the division.
3. Best won-lost record within the league.
4. Best won-lost record against common opponents (in most cases at least one interleague series will have been different).
5. Best run differential in season series.
6. Best run differential within the division.
7. Best run differential in all games.
8. Then and only then, a coin flip.

(Note: These tie-breakers would also be used to break a first-place tie where the loser would be the wild card and no one-game playoff would be played).

Not within the same division (for wild cards and to determine seeding between division champions with the same record):

1. Season series.
2. Best won-lost record within the league.
3. Best run differential in season series.
4. Best run differential within the league.
5. Best run differential in all games.
6. Coin flip.

(These tie-breakers would be used to determine home field in any one-game playoff for the wild card; in the case of two division champions having the same record, they would determine which team would be seeded higher in the playoffs [no one-game playoff being held in that situation]).

And if three teams end up tied and two are from the same division - a very real possibility in both leagues this season - what they have in place now is totally unfair. In a situation where there is a tie for first in one division, and a second-place team in another division also has the same record, the two teams in the same division play off for the title and the loser of that game is completely eliminated - the second-place team in the other division automatically gets the wild card. This punishes a team that ties for first in its division while rewarding a team that finishes outrightly behind somebody else in their division.

The fair way to do it would be to have the loser of the division playoff then play the second-place team in the other division to decide the wild card. And if this sets back the postseason schedule by one day, then so be it (the day can be made up by accelerating the playoff schedule at some later point). Fairness is more important than kowtowing to the TV networks.

Last edited by Anthony; 08-24-2001 at 02:26 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:27 AM   #2
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

I seem to like the one game playoffs. I mean, you can't just decide a berth into an 8 team playoff by run differential, you have to have the teams play, in sort of a Game 7 atmosphere.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 09:46 AM   #3
Anthony

Ross, I think you might have read my post too fast. What I am proposing is that tie-breakers be used (instead of a coin flip, as is done now) to determine who plays at home in the one-game playoff, not who wins the division or wild card itself.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:27 PM   #4
Ross
Hall of Famer

Ross is on a distinguished road

OIC, I thought you were proposing NFL style tiebreakers.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 02:22 AM   #5
Anthony

If anything, the way they determine the home field for one-game playoffs was actually my minor issue. My major issue is how they handle a three-way tie where two teams end up tied for first in one division and also with the better of the two second-place teams from the other divisions. What they would currently do in that situation really stinks!
Old 08-24-2001, 02:28 AM   #6
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Good subject Anthony. If Oakland and Boston were tied for the wild card, whoever won the series between them in the regular season should advance. Or to make it more exciting, we could have Manager Art Howe and Manager Joe Kerrigan duke it out on celebrity death match.:goof:
Old 08-24-2001, 06:26 PM   #7
Clay
Grizzled Veteran

Clay is on a distinguished road

Anthony, I agree that the way to handle the 3-way tie is ludicrous. So, if two teams tie for first place in one division, one of those teams will be punished for that tie, while the second pace team makes the playoffs for being worse in their division.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 08:34 PM   #8
Sean
Sports Enthusiast

Sean is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the tiebreaker thing, but if you want something to gripe about, how about the wild card? With the unbalanced schedule, the wild card is ridiculous. Team's have to play their own division more than anyone else which is why the NL West will NOT have a wild card candidate and the NL Central, stacked the Red's and Pirate's, will. The same problem should be occuring in the NL East but the Braves and Phillie's aren't good enough to put light to it. And if Oakland doesn't make the AL Wild Card, it's because Boston gets to play Toronto, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore millions of times while Oakland has Seattle, Anaheim, and Texas...and even Texas is a decent fight.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2001, 07:27 AM   #9
Anthony

Default Why The Wild Card Is Necessary

Sean, by any chance to remember what happened in the National League back in 1973? In that year, the Reds won the NL West (only two divisions then) at 108-54; the Dodgers finished second at I believe it was 95-67. The Mets won the East with a record of 82-79! Wasn't it unfair that the Dodgers finished 12 1/2 games ahead of the Mets and didn't make the playoffs while the Mets did?

To compound the unfairness, it was the East winner's turn to get three out of five games in the NLCS at home! (It was only best of five in those days). And the Mets won the series in five games.

One thing I would change though: Get rid of the rotation for determining who gets four out of seven at home in the World Series. The team with the better record should get it (I would not have advocated this in the years before the advent of interleague play), but in no case should a wild card ever get to host four out of seven (the way Florida did against Cleveland in the '97 Series) unless both wild cards managed to win the pennants (in which event the one with the better record would get the odd home game).

Last edited by Anthony; 08-26-2001 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2001, 04:56 PM   #10
Clay
Grizzled Veteran

Clay is on a distinguished road

Sean--

the NL Central has 3 of the best teams in the league in the Astros, Cubs, and Cards, That's why one of them will win the wild card, not because there are two bad teams in the league. Having to play 2 of those 3 teams makes the division harder than the others.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote