Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 03-05-2003, 07:12 AM   #1
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough
Default Rice and Brown get new deals

Yesterday Jerry Rice was signed to a new 6 year contract worth 30 mil. if he played it out he would retire at 46.

Tim Brown was also given a new deal

Quote:
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Jerry Rice has signed a 6-year, $30 million contract extension to remain with the Oakland Raiders, a salary cap-friendly deal that theoretically could keep the star receiver playing until he's 46.

Tim Brown, the longest-tenured Raider with all 15 of his seasons in Oakland, also signed an extension -- which means the NFL's oldest receiving tandem will stay together for now.

"Them coupled with Jerry Porter were as productive as any receiver trio in recent memory,'' Raiders senior assistant Bruce Allen said Tuesday. "We're happy to have them back, and I'm sure Rich Gannon is as well.''

The AFC champions were more than $30 million over the salary cap heading into the offseason, with some estimates as high as $50 million.

Rice received a signing bonus, and the deal is "back-end loaded,'' his agent, Jim Steiner said, meaning much of his salary would be paid out in those final years.

"We're happy with the deal,'' said Steiner, who has reworked Rice's contract almost every season. "Jerry's happy with the deal. They appreciate Jerry's contributions. Since he left the 49ers, it has worked out perfectly well.''

The 40-year-old Rice joked during last season's playoffs that he might play until he's 45.

"It could happen,'' Steiner said. "He takes it year to year based on how he feels and how he's playing. Who knows.''

Rice had 92 catches for 1,211 yards and seven touchdowns in his 18th NFL season, a testament to his disciplined preparation and conditioning regimen. He joined the Raiders after the 2000 season.

In 2002, Rice became the first player in NFL history to score 200 touchdowns; he broke the record for most playoff yards in a career, and he tied a record for most career playoff TDs. He was selected for his 13th Pro Bowl, his first in four years.

Brown, 36, "signed a very similar deal'' to Rice's, according to Steiner. Brown's agent, Marvin Demoff, did not immediately return calls for comment.

Brown reached his first Super Bowl last season, after finishing with 81 catches for 930 yards and two touchdowns to help the Raiders win their third straight AFC West crown.

"Tim has been a great Raider for many years and Jerry looks good in black, doesn't he?'' Allen said. "They've been playing well for us and there's no reason to expect anything else in the future.''

The Raiders released six players, including three defensive starters, last Thursday to help solve their salary-cap problems. They also have restructured some other contracts.

The team announced Tuesday evening it had re-signed offensive lineman Brad Badger and running back Zack Crockett.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Wow, they must trust that Rice can play for a few more years. Seems like a long contract for someone of that age.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:08 AM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Thats a cap friendly deal.

He'll play 1 maybe 2 more seasons and they don't get slamed with a huge salary... when he retires.... they just cut him.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:20 AM   #4
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Gotcha.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I have to believe that Rice goes as Gannon goes. If Gannon gets injured, or loses some zing on the ball, or whatever, and the Raiders look bad this year, I figure Rice retires end of year.

In this day and age, ALL contracts are designed to be cap-friendly, which is to say, meaningless beyond the second year, since that's when the big monies start to hit. Two years is also when everyone but the biggest of big stars are released. The rest of the big stars are forced into renegotiations, limiting raises from many millions of dollars to only a couple, or even less, in some instances.

Dave
Old 03-06-2003, 06:58 AM   #6
Alex
#1 Student Section

good example of why the cap sucks. my philosophy has always been let the teams keep what they make. i'm glad baseball doesn't have a cap like the NFL. why should the Yankees and Royals get the same and the Packers and Cardinals get the same?
Old 03-06-2003, 04:50 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

So, Black Ice formerly known as Pride and soon to be known as &*^!, you want baseball to fall flat on it face and disappear as a sports league, and perhaps even as a sport, while Cardinals fans continue to show up for Cowboys games?

Actually, I'm not quite sure what your point is. Why does the cap suck? And how are they Yankees and Royals relevant? (Maybe this discussion is worthy of moving to another forum, though.)

I have argued in posts in another board on this forum that there are two components that make a league healthy, especially during when the league is expanding, as the big 4 (3+1) have done in the last decade. you MUST have a rational free agency, a hard salary cap, and a hard salary floor. One thing I left out in that discussion, and which is so essential to the success of the NFL and directly responsible for the continuing failure of the majors, is a national TV revenue that is equally distributed throughout the league. As long as the Yankees are in New York, and New York is the #1, 2 or 3 TV market, and that TV market provides a nearly bottomless revenue, the Royals may as well close their doors. (Arguing that baseball needs fewer teams isn't even worth noting here).

Note #47's thread regarding guaranteed contracts to read my proposal on guranteeing contracts with the hope to cut down on the wild Big Star cutting and eliminating the meaninglessness of contracts like the ones that opened this thread.

Dave
Old 03-07-2003, 12:17 PM   #8
angel
Rookie Player

angel is on a distinguished road

i don't think that rice will play out his full contract.
angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
Alex
#1 Student Section

my philosophy is let the teams keep what they can make. perhaps because every team i root for is either in a great market (NYC) or has a strong national fan base (GB). this is the baseball arguement. if the Yankees fill 40,000 seats one night and the Royals/Devil Rays/Expos, etc. get 20,000 and were assuming here tix are the same price (though its not true it makes for an easier example) for both teams. NY has twice as many people at the game who paid money to see the Yankees and in the other city people paid to see them play. why should some of the money that i pay for $60 Yankees ticket go to an owner who will not only have it for his team but could use it for his own business. in the end with a cap i'm not paying to help the Yanks i'm paying to help the Royals or other team and if their owner wants to steal that money for his own company then i'm even out of baseball and instead perhaps paying for a sweatshop somewhere in Detroit. does that make sense. if the yankees and numerous other teams get fans in that pay to see that team why does another team deserve a cut? let their fans pay their hard earned money for that team. if you need other team's money to support your team you don't deserve a team.

In the NFL its even worse. every year many veterans who have spend 10-15 years with a team get cut because they make too much. This happens in all sports but i'm sure if their wasn't a cap Emmitt would still be a Cowboy. All NFL teams except for the Cardinals draw so that is not the problem. Again, if i pay to see the Packers why do i also want to pay the Lions, Vikings. etc. with the money. i want it to all stay with the team i supported.

I hate the salary caps for those who don't know. i think it sucks and what ever a team makes is what they deserve. if the NFL had a cap and Arizona had $20 mil to spend ya know what i say? take away they damn team. either supprt um or lose um. and Dave this is my last name change. i'm not retarded any changing my name to &*^! that is just stupid.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:13 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Let me just point out that baseball, if they are to follow your philosophy, will be on the brink of extinction at the end of every CBA. What the majors really need is a floor, which the NFL has. The reason you want to help the Royals is so the Yankees continue to have someone to beat. Otherwise, no baseball teams, except Yanks and Mets. And what the hell kind of game is that?

Dave
Old 03-08-2003, 08:05 AM   #11
Alex
#1 Student Section

i'm not so against the luxury tax thing giving a little money to help out the Royals or D-Rays is fine. my problem is every team in the league gets the same. why should the Yankees and D-Rays bothget x amount of dollars to spend on players?
Old 03-08-2003, 11:47 AM   #12
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

I don't think either one will flourish like the Raiders want them to. Gannon might, but I don't think Woodson(rod) will do good either. There just too old.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2003, 12:17 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

If Gannon has another good season, Rice and Brown will be just fine. If Gannon's rhythm disappears in the offseason, say g'night Al.

Dave
Old 03-08-2003, 02:49 PM   #14
Alex
#1 Student Section

i think the Raiders will struggle. they had a horrible loss in the Super Bowl and add the Barrett Robins thing still kinda out there for them and that they have cap trouble i just feel that with Denver and San Diego putting out such quality teams Oakland may have to settle for 3rd out in the wild west
Old 03-09-2003, 01:28 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Oakland's age is a growing problem. And I don't really foresee the Robbins problem being an issue at all next season. It'll all be over with.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote