Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #76
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
But how do you explain the Jags NOT keeping up with the offense of Indy (twice) and New Orleans? Granted the Pats struggled a bit... but they still won. And everyteam has to struggle once or twice - to me, it was remarkable that the Patriots still pulled it off.

I have a feeling this game is going to be like the week 2 game between the Chargers and Pats. The Pats shut down LT and put the game in Rivers' hands... I could see them doing the same thing to Garrard.

Plus let us not forget that this one is at the Razor...
I hear ya... The Jags are an underdog for a reason. I have picked the Pats in every game this season, I understand how good they are... I just think the Jags have the talent and momentum to go in and pull off the upset...

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #77
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I guess if you are gonna take an underdog from wildcard weekend, why not take the team with the best record of 11-5 right?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #78
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha
At least one of the Wildcard Winners has a serious chance of upseting the Patriots/Colts/Cowboys/Packers?
Buy.

While I fully expect Dallas, Green Bay, Indianapolis and New England all to win this weekend, I do think at least two teams have a serious chance of pulling off an upset to advance to their conference championship game.

The New York Giants are 8-1 on the road this season and their quarterback Eli Manning has played above his head the last two weeks against New England and Tampa Bay. Whether he can keep that level of play up and continue to make few mistakes remains to be seen, but he has a lot more confidence going into this game against Dallas than he has ever had in any previous meeting with the Cowboys in his career. Also, I like New York's defense going up against Dallas' running game and the Cowboys' late season struggles against non-playoff teams like Detroit, Philadelphia and Carolina put their abilities in the postseason into question.

I called the Seattle Seahawks to be the sleeper team in the NFC playoffs, and I think they remain that way. People overlook Seattle because of their weak regular season schedule but they have a successful veteran coach, a knowledgeable and experienced quarterback, a proven secondary and a defensive front that does a great job against the run and pressuring the quarterback (they were third in the NFC this season with 45 sacks). If Seattle can pressure Brett Favre like they did Todd Collins over the weekend, I can see Brett Favre making those typical Brett Favre mistakes and hurting his team. Grading these two teams: I would give the edge to Green Bay on offense, and the edge to Seattle on defense and special teams. Green Bay playing at home makes this the most interesting contest of the weekend for me.

Until New England goes down to defeat, I won't give any opponent a serious chance against the Patriots. And based on the way San Diego played over the weekend, I don't like their chances against the defending Super Bowl Champions, the Indianapolis Colts.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #79
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
The New York Giants are 8-1 on the road this season and their quarterback Eli Manning has played above his head the last two weeks against New England and Tampa Bay. Whether he can keep that level of play up and continue to make few mistakes remains to be seen, but he has a lot more confidence going into this game against Dallas than he has ever had in any previous meeting with the Cowboys in his career.
I just wanna make one quick note about Eli if I may. Did anyone else notice that the Patriots were rushing 5 the whole first half and got nothing on Eli, so they adjusted in the 2nd half and rushed 6? Once they got to Eli he fell apart like usual.
Just wanted to throw that out there... sorry to go off topic.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #80
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I'll buy on the Giants even though I have little to no faith in Manning keeping this up much longer. Everyone is swooning over how Eli is playing yet there has been no mention of the crucial pick he threw late in the Pats game that pretty much sealed the deal for New England and ended any chance the Giants had of winning.

However, the reason I'll bite on the Giants giving the Cowboys all they can handle and then some lies in the fact that Wade Phillips always manages to find a way to screw the pooch in the postseason and T. O. may not be 100% for this game and Dallas' passing game has been downright anemic since he got injured against Carolina. Of the 8 remaining team Dallas is playing the worst ball heading into the playoffs.

The thing about the Pats 'struggling' a bit down the stretch leads me to wonder how much of this is teams figuring the Pats out or the team maybe losing focus a bit after wrapping up home field advantage.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #81
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones is on a distinguished road

I'm going to buy this as well. I expect New England to and Indy to win, but I think both games will be good. I feel like Mike Holmgren makes the Packers nervous and with a young team, the nerves might be out in full force in their first playoff game.
I honestly expect Dallas to lose to the Giants. Dallas is like the Ohio St. of the NFL right now, they're last few games were not impressive and they've been off for a while. I think they'll come out rusty and people will shift their criticisms away from the inconsistent Eli Manning on to the increasingly inconsistent Tony Romo.
Needless to say, it will be a great weekend for football.
Andrew Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #82
philabramoff
Exiled Packerfan in SoCal

philabramoff is on a distinguished road

BUY.

Seattle will win. They are more experienced, with a more experienced
coach, and have tons of momentum. Green Bay is nowhere near as
good as their 13-3 record, and they will come out flat. Look them to
be down 14-0 before you know it. It will be another "Atlanta" game for the Packers.

However, anyone who thinks New York will upset Dallas is on drugs.
philabramoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #83
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Wow.. that's ^ an interesting comment from a Packer fan....

Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #84
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Fresh has the board... since we moved his topic...
Old 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #85
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Ok....

BUY or SELL the Browns keeping Derek Anderson?

If you buy, please stipulate on what they do... Trade Quinn? Groom Quinn one more year then trade Anderson? You get the idea.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #86
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I am selling I think they move Anderson while they can get something for him. They have too much money invested in Brady Quinn to let him sit for much longer and while Anderson did have a nice year he did throw 19 picks and only had a 56.5 completion percentage. He really struggled a bit against the better defenses they faced. He really seemed to wilt down the stretch when the Browns needed him to step it up and get into the playoffs. He threw 4 picks in the loss to Cincy that ultimately kept them out of the playoffs.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #87
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Gotta SELL this one too.... Doublee hit this one perfect IMO - they could get something for DA now. I would let Quinn come in and see what he can do.
Although... keep in mind they do have a tuff sched next year!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #88
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Although... keep in mind they do have a tuff sched next year!
Which would be another reason to move him now. If he struggles against stiffer competition and gets yanked a month into the season then you get nothing for him when you could probably get a decent draft pick for him now.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #89
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BUY or SELL the Browns keeping Derek Anderson?
I will sell this, as well.

If Cleveland believes Brady Quinn will be the quarterback of the future for this franchise, then the organization has no use for Derek Anderson and needs to shop him this offseason while interest in Anderson remains high. Anderson regressed so much late in the season, likely because teams started to figure out how to scout him as a quarterback, and one would hope that an expensive draft pick like Quinn could provide Cleveland with similar numbers that Anderson managed (56.5% completion rate and only ten more touchdowns than interceptions).

I wouldn't be opposed to Cleveland attempting to trade Quinn, actually, but I think there are a lot more teams in the league with quarterback needs this offseason that would be willing to trade a top level draft pick for Derek Anderson's services.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #90
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Normally I'd say keep Anderson, but I'll SELL. I've heard that the Browns still really like Quinn, and as others have noted, Anderson has trade value right now. I don't think Anderson is Drew Brees, and I hope for his sake that Quinn is better than Philip Rivers.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote