Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default BUY or SELL

Welcome to NFL Buy or Sell. The purpose of this thread is to discuss a “buy or sell” topic. This will be like other threads where one person will post a topic and others will have the option to reply.
The difference is that we will try to make it so we can discuss many different topics and move on so as not to drag out conversations or let the thread die.
There be a few rules to this thread and those rules will be enforced by Moderators.

Moderators will be: Anthony (Sr. Moderator), Boston_Aloha, CKFresh & Doublee

Rules:
Topics will continue until a Moderator posts “Next Topic”. After that, the board is open to anyone (except that moderator) to post a new Buy or Sell topic.
Moderators will post “New Topic” when:
1. At least 4 different people have posted another opinion about the topic
AND
2. The person who posted (or a few others - but the main thing is the person who posted it) has had a chance to reply to those posts (not all, but some).
OR
3. The topic seems to be dying or losing interest
OR
4. The topic is only being discussed by 2 people

The whole point is to make this kind of like how it is on TV (with a time limit). We should have enough time to hear everyone's opinions and some rebuttals (I know we all want the last word too!!), but not stay too long on one subject dragging it out. Obviously since we are in different time zones we have to respect the fact that someone may post a topic and then go to bed for 6 hours, work for 8 hours, ect - so we need to give them time to get back and reply. That’s where the Moderators come in to make things fair.
Have fun and enjoy! :thumbsup2:

I'll leave the board open to anyone!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I'll start with the first topic here.

Buy or Sell Donovan McNabb's days are over in Philly.

Personally I am selling at this stage simply because if that decision had truly been then Kevin Kolb and not Donovan McNabb would be starting this Sunday against the Saints since they were officially eliminated from the playoffs with Minnesota's win on Monday. I have to think that if the Eagles had already decided that Kolb and not McNabb was going to be the guy next year then Kolb would be starting these last two games so the team could get a feel for where his development is right now.

That is not to say that I believe McNabb will definitely be in Philly next year just that I don't believe that decision has been made at this time as the media has led us to believe.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I am going to buy, cautiously. I think several teams have pressing needs for QBs, essentially the whole NFC North sans GB, and combined with Andy Reid's tumultuous year, I think changes will be made.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I am goingto sell this. I agree with what Doublee said. Looks like Kolb woiuld have got some snaps if they were planning on letting him go. While I think McNabb stinks - Philly just seems to be high on him (well Reid & Co. anyway) - the fans not so much.

Also, not like there is much else out there to replace him unless they want to draft and start over.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:36 AM   #5
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Sell. I agree with doublee and boston, in that if McNabb were gone, we would be seeing Kolb get some meaningful playing time so they can assess what they have in him before they let McNabb go. However, i wouldnt be surprised to see McNabb go, just the way the Philly FO works.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Not surprisingly to anyone here, I'm gonna go "buy" here - albeit somewhat reluctantly.

This latest "He Said/She Said" controversy involving McNabb and Pam Oliver is ominous to say the least; and so far as why we haven't seen Kevin Kolb yet: If McNabb were benched in favor of Kolb without an injury to McNabb being involved, the media firestorm that would ensue is quite literally beyond my powers of description - and, as in 1990, when Buddy Ryan benched Randall Cunningham in an NFC wild-card playoff game - would be sure to lead to either McNabb or Andy Reid not being back next year (Ryan was fired the next day, after Cunningham allegedly issued an ultimatum to then-Eagles owner Norman Braman - and McNabb's ego is ten times as swollen and as fragile as Cunningham's was).

Then again I could be wrong about this, and Reid might pull the proverbial plug and start Kolb in the season finale at home against Buffalo - maybe Reid, having no illusions about what would follow, wants out of Philly himself, and this would be his way of committing suicide by cop, so to speak - but I doubt it.

Personally, of course, I hope that neither of them are back with the Eagles next year.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-22-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Buy or Sell Donovan McNabb's days are over in Philly.
Sell. Donovan McNabb is one of the more divisive players in the NFL, but like him or not, he is the franchise player of today's Philadelphia Eagles.

Despite a horrible receiving corps, the Philadelphia Eagles are in the top-half of the league in passing yardage this season, while McNabb has completed 60% of his passes and has thrown for 15 touchdowns in 12 games. He hasn't been Brett Favre, Tony Romo or Matt Hasselbeck this year, but his numbers are either comparable or better in 2007 than Jeff Garcia, Jason Campbell or Tarvaris Jackson, and all three of those guys play on teams with better records than the Eagles.

It's not Donovan McNabb's fault that his team is not in the playoffs. If the Philadelphia Eagles want to get better and try to stay out of last place in the tough NFC East, then they have to build around Donovan McNabb.

Also, the Eagles might already be without weapons this weekend with Brian Westbrook and Reggie Brown both questionable for Sunday's game because of bum knees, so Philadelphia would only be asking for trouble to send the very green Kevin Kolb onto the field against a hungry New Orleans Saints team in New Orleans.

And personally, I like the fact that Philadelphia, despite being out of playoff contention, is sticking with their starter, because this team still has an opportunity to finish .500 on the season, they still have a chance to finish ahead of Washington in the NFC East standings (the Redskins still have to play Minnesota and Dallas), and I would hope the Eagles would take some pride in being able to play the potential spoiler against the New Orleans Saints this weekend.

Sell.

Last edited by tobynosker; 12-22-2007 at 08:37 AM.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

SELL.

There is absolutely no way in hell McNabb's days in Philadelphia are over and done with. The words McNabb and Philly should be joined at the hip at this point.

I mean, despite all the criticism this man is receiving (and we all know how hard Philadelphia is on their football team, especially their QB), he still managed to go out last week, into Dallas, and out-perform the "NFC Champion" Dallas Cowboys, and their super-hero Tony Romo.

And let us not forget that is was Terrell Owens (Team Obliterator) that screwed this team over, not Donovan McNabb.

Since the departure of Team Obliterator, the Eagles have managed to help McNabb out signing only Kevin Curtis, who is having a decent year, but is no-where near a top notch receiver in this league. And despite having, argueably, one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL, Run DMC has still managed to put together (in 12 games) -- a 15 TD, 6 INT season, with a passer rating of 86.8 and nearly 3,000 yards to go with it. Pretty stellar if you ask me...

I mean, to say that getting rid of Donovan McNabb is the answer to the Eagles problems would be border-line insane. He gives this team the best chance to win... and he will until he retires. Not Kevin Kolb, not A.J. Feely... NOBODY BUT MCNABB! I mean, the Eagles have some problems, and we know that, but McNabb is definitely not one of them.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

SELL.

Regardless of his injuries, the man is still one the best in the game at this moment. Good QBs are hard to find - just ask the Bears. It's not like the Eagles have anyone who is proven to be as good as McNabb. If the Eagles don't want McNabb back, they are making a mistake.

---------------------

Having said that, I would like to move on to NEXT TOPIC. That is unless doublee would like to reply to the posts of other members as stated in the rules. Let's give doublee a chance to reply. In the meantime, please feel free to BUY or SELL this topic or comment further until doublee responds.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I do happen to think McNabb can be had for the right price. I don't think he is as untouchable as he may have been prior to his knee injury last year. I can see Reid okaying the deal if it is for the right player and/or draft pick(s).

Granted, if Kolb were starting the last two games the media would try to read something into it but the sane person can also read into it being the Eagles simply seeing where Kolb is in terms of his development. Why run McNabb out there when there is no need to.

Then again the other side of this could be that given that McNabb seems to be rounding back into form the past couple of weeks maybe Reid and Lurie see this as the opportunity for McNabb to show he can lead this team back to respectability with his performance. Maybe this is McNabb's last shot to show he can still do it before Lurie closes the door on McNabb in Philly.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Alright, that seems like a nice wrap-up by the man who started this topic.

Unless anyone would like to add anything, let's move on.

Next topic please from the next poster.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #12
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

BUY or SELL...

The Cowboys are still the front-runners to win the NFC.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:54 AM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

as much as I hate the Cowboys, I am going to BUY

1. Cowboys have the best record in the NCF
2. Cowboys beat the Packers head to head
3. Pack still have to beat Chicago today

Now... here are a few interesting points....

1. How bad is TO's injury and how long will it keep him sidelined
2. If the Pack beat Chicago today then Dallas will have to go to Washington and beat them to keep homefield.

As much as I WANT to SELL this, I just cannot at this time. Maybe tomorrow I can change my mind.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:24 AM   #14
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

As much as i love the Cowboys....i have to sell....

The Packers are playing like the best team in the NFC right now. The Cowboys have put in under achieving performances for the past 3 weeks. Of course the Cowboys were without TO for most of the game tonight, but their perfomances against the Lions and Eagles, lead me to believe that they arent ready for the playoffs. They have struggled greatly against 3 teams that are likely to miss the playoffs and once against teams that are playoff caliber, the offense needs to prove that it can show up. The defense has kept them in the games, but the offense continues to under-perform and make the defense work harder.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
As much as i love the Cowboys....i have to sell....

The Packers are playing like the best team in the NFC right now. The Cowboys have put in under achieving performances for the past 3 weeks. Of course the Cowboys were without TO for most of the game tonight, but their perfomances against the Lions and Eagles, lead me to believe that they arent ready for the playoffs. They have struggled greatly against 3 teams that are likely to miss the playoffs and once against teams that are playoff caliber, the offense needs to prove that it can show up. The defense has kept them in the games, but the offense continues to under-perform and make the defense work harder.
I agree with everything you are saying... but the NFC is so weak. Its gonna come down to the Cowboys and Packers, and whoever (Cowboys) has homefield will win the NFC.
So that is why I say Cowboys (as of now)