Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 12-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
nojob67
Grizzled Veteran

nojob67 is on a distinguished road
Default Top Freshman

During the college basketball season I love to watch the new young kids play. Mostly because they are all unknown to me in the beginning.

I live near Syracuse so I follow them quite a bit and their star recruit was Paul Harris and he has been absolutely amazing.

What other freshman should be watching across the country?
nojob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
illallowit
Wait, where am I?

illallowit is on a distinguished road

I really like Jeremy Pargo from Gonzaga. Because of where he's from he hasn't gotten much coverage but he's a fun player to watch and I think he's going to be pretty good in years to come.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Beginning on Sunday, a lot of eyes in Kansas are going to be affixed to Bill Walker at Kansas State.

Kansas State is in desperate need of an athletic scorer who can help rejuvenate their season and give Wildcat fans something to look forward to (a 6-3 record, including unconvincing wins over William & Mary and North Dakota State have given the Wildcat faithful a lot to be worried about).

Walker should get decent minutes and a chance to adjust to the collegiate style of play against Kennesaw State on Sunday and then Maryland-Eastern Shore on Tuesday.

With USC, New Mexico or Wichita State, and Xavier on the horizon prior to the start of conference play (which begins at Texas A&M), Kansas State needs some help and fast.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

The Gators have an exciting freshman that is going to make a spash this year. Marreese Speights 6'10" 245 could be the next Noah without the mouth tough.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Brandan Wright, Wayne Ellington, and Ty Lawson are all scoring double figures per game and are playing huge roles in UNC's fast start. Wright is seen as a top 10 and possible top 5 pick come next summer.

Javarias Crittendon and Thaddeus Young are off to fast starts for Georgia Tech. Young is another freshman who is considered a potential top NBA prospect.

Wake Forest's Ishmael Smith is 3rd in the country in assists per game it is just too bad that Wake does not have a ton of talent around him.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #6
nojob67
Grizzled Veteran

nojob67 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses guys, I will be checking these kids out.
nojob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:15 AM   #7
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Arizona's Chase Budinger: 17 points and 6 boards a game and can jump out of the gym.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
UK_Cat
I easily stump the Schwab

UK_Cat is on a distinguished road

Jeremy Pargo isnt a freshman.

And Greg Oden is the best freshman to play at the college level in a long time.
UK_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
illallowit
Wait, where am I?

illallowit is on a distinguished road

yeah, I'll be the first to eat crow. I couldn't remember if Pargo was a frosh or soph, and the website I looked at to check said freshman. I apologize.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Kind of a dud by Oden in his first big time college game. He got schooled a bit by Noah and Horford out there. He seemed a bit overwhelmed at times.

Alonzo Mourning comes to mind when I watch Oden play. They are built fairly similarly in the sense that they are both lean and athletic with long arms and they both have incredible timing and explosion off the floor when it comes to blocking shots. Watching Oden get after it on the defensive end brought back memories of watching Mourning grinding it out in the Big East.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
190 Octane
All-Star Player

190 Octane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Kind of a dud by Oden in his first big time college game. He got schooled a bit by Noah and Horford out there. He seemed a bit overwhelmed at times.

Alonzo Mourning comes to mind when I watch Oden play. They are built fairly similarly in the sense that they are both lean and athletic with long arms and they both have incredible timing and explosion off the floor when it comes to blocking shots. Watching Oden get after it on the defensive end brought back memories of watching Mourning grinding it out in the Big East.
That's something I love about Oden, he plays an old school style and isn't afraid to get in the trenches. That's going to make him a rare commodity once he goes pro since so many 6-10+'ers want to step out of the lane.
190 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I couldn't believe Florida is in the top five despite two losses, but they showed they deserve it today. Talk about a spanking. They just won on experience, something OSU lacked. The shots of them repeating are looking really good right now.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane View Post
That's something I love about Oden, he plays an old school style and isn't afraid to get in the trenches. That's going to make him a rare commodity once he goes pro since so many 6-10+'ers want to step out of the lane.
That was the one thing everyone raved about him last year was how committed he is to playing defense and that is what will make him a rare commodity and be something of an impact player right away. So many high school kids come in to college no knowing how to play defense or not wanting to play defense. Oden clearly has some sort of an idea of what he is doing out there on the defensive end. Florida built a double digit lead on the Buckeyes when Oden got into foul trouble early in the second half and had to go out of the game. His defensive presence changes the whole scope of how teams attack OSU when he is on the floor.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:16 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Went to the UNC/Rutgers game on Thursday night and man Brendan Wright is the real deal. The kid is so smooth around the basket. The only knock I have against him during the game was that on defense he tended to get out-muscled and out-worked a bit when he was matched up with someone stronger than him. Other than that once his game matures a bit more he is going to be a beast to deal with.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #15
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 190 Octane View Post
Arizona's Chase Budinger: 17 points and 6 boards a game and can jump out of the gym.
Hell yes! Aside from a healthy Oden, Budinger might be the best frosh in the country.

Pretty surprised that no one has mentioned Tajuan Porter at Oregon -- the 5'8" guard who has sparked the Ducks to a perfect record, so far. Keep an eye out for him.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote