Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-14-2002, 03:08 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Unhappy NY Football Giants Lay An Egg

The Giants missed a chance to move into first place in the NFC East when the Atlanta Falcons, playing without Michael Vick, pulled off a 17-10 upset at Club Med for the road team's eighth consecutive victory in the series.

And worse yet for the Giants, Vick's unheralded (to put it charitably!) replacement, Doug Johnson, was the game's undisputed MVP, completing 19 out of 25 for 257 yards, throwing for one touchdown and running for another; this, combined with a turnover-free performance (no interceptions or lost fumbles), two sacks for 11 yards worth of losses, and one carry rushing for 15 yards, gave Johnson a Quarterback Rating of 139.7 (and a Passer Rating of 121.6) for the afternoon.

To round out the gloomy picture for the Giants, they lost defensive tackle Keith Hamilton for the season with a ruptured Achilles tendon, and Michael Strahan was also forced to the sidelines due to back spasms, although his injury does not appear to be serious.

And so the Giants stagger into their bye week one-half game behind idle Philadelphia in the NFL's tightest top-to-bottom division race.

Once again the final score: Falcons 17, Giants 10.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:35 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Doug Johnson....an old Florida Gator....I guess not all Gator QBs are terrible in the NFL...well ok most are and he is a backup for a reason! But your right the Giants are in some trouble if they can't beat the Falcons team without Vick!

Joey
Old 10-14-2002, 02:58 PM   #3
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

He'll have to do it more then just once or twice..............lol.........to make him a succesful ex- Gator QB.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 04:09 PM   #4
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Yeah I agree....and in all honesty I seriously doubt he can do that!
Old 10-14-2002, 08:58 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

New York football is such a drag this year. Could the teams be anymore alike and boring on offense? For the G-Men to lose to the Falcons at home and without Vick is a disgrace.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 03:26 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If you look strictly at statistical rankings and the like, the Giants are actually quite productive on offense - it's just that they can't "close the deal," so to speak. Ron Dayne has been a serious disappointment, though.

The Jets of course are a separate issue, but even with them things might be looking up now that Chad Pennington has taken over at quarterback.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 11:59 AM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

But the Jet defense is still awful, and no new player to the lineup is going to change that!