Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-05-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

atllonghorn is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Strongest football conference in 1A

Easily the Big 12. You've got strong programs that absolutely despise each other throwing down every week. In a way, it's cool, and in another, it's unfortunate because it costs us shots at the BCS championship game. This year, OU was better than Ohio State, and that pains me to say as a Texas alumnus. However, the Big 10 is a relatively weak conference, and losing hurts your BCS ranking far worse than does having a weak schedule.

As far as the other conferences:

Pac-10 is talent-rich, but has no toughness.

The SEC fell waaaaaaay off this year with the demise of Florida and Tennessee. Georgia is NOT the third best team in the nation.

The Big 10 is coming back, but not as much as you think. Iowa should never have been in a BCS game.

The Big East got better this year. We'll see if that continues.

The ACC needs to stick to basketball.
atllonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 02:29 PM   #2
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

Bucknut is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

That's funny!!! Did you watch any bowl games this year? Did you see Wisconsin (Big Ten #8, 2-6 in conference play) beat your conference champion runner-up (7-1 in Big 12 play)? Did you know that the Big 12 came in 4th in the ESPN Bowl Challenge ?

The Big 12 is a complete joke, full of pretenders....and until Nebraska is back it'll stay that way!
Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 04:22 PM   #3
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yea I think everyone will agree that the Big Ten was the best conference this season. The only reason that comes as a surprise is because teams like Wisconsin, Purdue and Minnesota were overlooked all season.

It also goes to show the West-Coast Bias is all smoke and mirrors.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:25 PM   #4
MikeDossFan1
Sports Enthusiast

MikeDossFan1 is on a distinguished road

the big ten was clearly the best conference this season their bowl record shows it. nobody beat osu and ou and texas wouldnt have either. face it the teams you like are nowhere near as good as osu
MikeDossFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:05 PM   #5
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

S E C
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

Please...your runner-up Iowa, lost to Iowa State, AT HOME!!! 7-6!!! Colorado is NOT our runner up- they are the fourth-best team in the Big 12.

Come to think of it, USC destroyed Iowa, your runner up, while K-State made USC look far worse than the 27-20 score would indicate. Funny thing is, Texas went into Manhattan and beat K-State. OU, meanwhile, destroyed The Pac-10 chump, while Ohio State had to eek out wins against teams like Michigan (who could barely beat Washington at home this year and LOST to Notre Lame), Purdue (HAHAHAHA!!!), and a Penn State team that couldn't beat Auburn. I give Ohio State credit for beating Miami, even though the PI call on 4th and 1 was lame, but they did not look all that tough this year.

Additionally, one team does not a conference make. We've got the 5. 6. and 7 ranked teams in the nation, Iowa State, who beat Iowa as mentioned previously, Oklahoma State, which is a vastly improved team, Nebraska (who sucked it up this year but will be back), Colorado (who lost to Wisconson without their best players healthy), and dangerous Texas Tech and A&M teams who always play the top squads tough.

I'll take OU over OSU, Iowa State Over Iowa, Texas over Michigan, K-State over Penn State, Texas Tech over Purdue, Colorado over Wisconson any time they're healthy, Nebraska over Illinois, and OK State over Minnesota.

The Big 12 owns you.

Last edited by atllonghorn; 01-05-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:32 PM   #7
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

You're the perfect definition of a homer.:goof:

Colorado was 7-1 in Big 12 play....they were in the B12 championship game and lost (that makes them the B12 runner-ups)...and the 8th best B10 team beat them (tied for 8th with 2-6 Michigan St).

Oklahoma is good, after that I'm not impressed.
Old 01-05-2003, 08:40 PM   #8
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by atllonghorn
The Big 12 owns you.
Ohio St has a 12 game win streak against the Big 12...OSU owns the Big 12!

2002 vs Texas Tech W 45-21
1998 vs. Missouri W 35 14
1998 vs. Texas A&M W 24 14 @ New Orleans, LA
1997 @ Missouri W 31 10
1990 vs. Texas Tech W 17 10
1989 vs. Oklahoma State W 37 13
1986 vs. Colorado W 13 10
1986 vs. Texas A&M W 28 12 @ Dallas, TX
1985 @ Colorado W 36 13
1983 @ Oklahoma W 24 14
1982 vs. Baylor W 21 14
1978 vs. Baylor W 34 28
Old 01-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #9
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Haha. Very nice, I'm glad you pointed that out. I think The Big 10 proved itself this year by it's bowl performance and by having two teams finish the regular season in the top five.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:24 PM   #10
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

And oh yeah, by being the home of the 2002 National Champions.

I wonder how Ohio State would do against Oklahoma State, or Texas A&M for that matter............
Old 01-05-2003, 11:19 PM   #11
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

Ummm...Colorado went to the Big 12 championship game. If that makes them the second best team in the Big 12, then Arkansas is the second best team in the SEC. Colorado beat K-State when they were at full strength and otherwise had an incredibly soft in-conference schedule. Colorado is the fourth best team in the Big 12.

Once again, K-State beat USC, who decimated a team with an identical in-conference record to your Buckeyes, the second-best team in the Big 10, the same team who lost in embarrassing fashion to Iowa State (with all key players healthy) to the seventh best team in the Big 12.

And once again, one team does not a conference make.

Ohio State's record against the Big 12 does not concern me, especially given that they've played exavtly one decent Big 12 opponent since the inception of the conference.

Don't rest on your laurels too much. OSU is just an injury to Maurice Claret away from being mediocre.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:29 PM   #12
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

Colorado was 7-1 in the Big Ten, I'd say that they're the 2nd best team....they're one loss was to Oklahoma, and don't give me any "they didn't play Texas" crap, because they played and beat Texas Tech - the best team in Texas.

The Big 12 blows when compared to the Big Ten.

...and the "this team beat that team, so that team should beat this other team" arguement is really weak and childish.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:30 PM   #13
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky the Kid
And oh yeah, by being the home of the 2002 National Champions.

I wonder how Ohio State would do against Oklahoma State, or Texas A&M for that matter............
Please...go to Kyle Field and play the Aggies. You will be praying for the game to end. That's one of the toughest road stadiums in college football, even if the Aggies aren't very good.

OK State is a rivaly game for OU. Just like when Michigan ruins your season almost every year except, inexplicably, this one, you can hardly say, "Oh, well, so and so could beat Michigan, so OSU must be inferior." I do take stock in record against common opponents, but not when it's a rivalry game.

What those intra-conference lossess serve to show you is how tough the Big 12 conference is. OSU has one real in-conference rivalry game, whereas Texas has three (OU, A&M, and Texas Tech), OU has has three (Nebraska, OK State, and Texas), and so forth. Games like that are brutal, and in any college sport other than 1-A football, would prepare you well for the playoffs. Of course, college football 1-A doesn't have playoffs, so you can play in a softer conference that doesn't even have a championship game, beat Miami as a result of Miami playing their worst game of the season and getting the better of a horrible PI call on 4th and goal, and get crowned national champions.

Top to bottom, the Big 12 owns you. You will nto convince me otherwise.

Last edited by atllonghorn; 01-05-2003 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:38 PM   #14
atllonghorn
Sports Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Bucknut
Colorado was 7-1 in the Big Ten, I'd say that they're the 2nd best team....they're one loss was to Oklahoma, and don't give me any "they didn't play Texas" crap, because they played and beat Texas Tech - the best team in Texas.

The Big 12 blows when compared to the Big Ten.

...and the "this team beat that team, so that team should beat this other team" arguement is really weak and childish.
Discounting something as "weak" and "childish" is the epitome of an ad hominem argument...

Then again, I find it difficult to take seriously the criticism of my arguments as weak or childish from someone who tells me, "The Big 12 blows when compared to the Big Ten."

Interesting, you're making the argument that it doesn't matter that Colorado didn't play Texas because they played Texas Tech, who beat Texas, and yet you consider such rationale weak and childish.

Iowa is not good. This is obvious. They were the second best team in the Big 10. That is the consensus opinion. Colorado is the fourth best team in the Big 12. That is also the consensus opinion.

Yep, Texas Tech beat Texas. Goes to show you, we play in a tough conference where teams really get fired up to play each other, unlike in the Big 10, where you can hear a pin drop in some of your stadiums.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:54 PM   #15
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

A pin drop? Please.

Texas Tech beat both Texas and Texas A&M - am I right??? Yes, I am. Pretty hard to argue that Texas Tech isn't the best team in Texas then!

Again, look at the Bowl games - the prove the Big Ten is better....the only bad loss was Iowa to USC, other than that only Penn St lost a close one to Auburn.

Who the National Chamipions? That's right, Ohio State from the Big Ten...not a pretender team in the Big 12.