Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 10-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised at how well the Twins are playing the Yankees. Although it doesn't really matter now with them being down 0-2 in the series.

And will the Angels finally get past the Red Sox this year? They're certainly off to a good start.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #17
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Is Manuel taking a big risk starting Pedro in game three knowing he is only going to give them five or six innings tops?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I'm not surprised that the Twins aren't giving up without a fight. I just want to see them win a game or 2. We'll see won't we.
As to the Phillies starting Pedro, maybe he'll be able to go longer than 6 innings.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #19
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

Well, now, with the Rockies-Phils game postponed because of SNOW, Pedro won't be starting game 3 tonight. They're going instead with the rookie A.J. Happ.

And, in other news, the Cardinals got swept out the the playoffs. I thought they'd play better than that, but it seemed like they forgot how to hit.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #20
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

J.A. not A.J. and, maybe just J. That was kind of weird when he first came up. He was J.A., then told everyone he didnt want the A, just wanted to be be J Happ. but I think the JA stuck.

I was hoping they'd still pitch Pedro tonight. I like Happ out of the bullpen better than Pedro out of the bullpen, because I don't know what Pedro can do from the pen.

The best thing about this for the Phillies is that Cliff Lee can now throw game 4 on normal rest.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #21
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

J Happ is a very good choice for Manuel. He pitches better on the road than he does at home if OBA is any indicator (.276 at home, .219 on the road). His ERA is better on the road as well (4.18 at home, 1.99 on the road). He strikes out more at home -- 61 in 71 innings, 58 in 95, and walks more as well 28 to 28. He is 5-2 at home and 7-2 on the road.

Catman
Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #22
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

2 elimination games today. Boston really needs to win. Pedroia just doubled home a couple of runs in the 3rd inning. They are ahead 2-0.
Minnesota faces a similar fate and they have Carl Pavano facing Andy Pettitte later today.

Catman

Last edited by catman; 10-12-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #23
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Brad Lidge looked a little shaky, but got the save last night. The last two Phillies/Rockies games have been really good. At least one of these opening series' is going to be good.

Also, the Phillies got back to what they seem to do whenever they go from just a slugging team to a team that scrapes together some wins: they took walks. The last two years the Phillies seem to have a switch where when it gets tough, they play a little bit differently. They don't look to take walks as much in the regular season, but added that in last postseason and were at it last night working eight.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #24
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

The Twins were eliminated by the Yankees last night. They led in every game, but were unable to win one.
Happ didn't have much last night for the Phillies, but the bullpen did a nice job for them. Good win.

Catman
Old 10-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #25
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The Twins were eliminated by the Yankees last night. They led in every game, but were unable to win one.
Happ didn't have much last night for the Phillies, but the bullpen did a nice job for them. Good win.
Yeah, Happ was laboring in that one quite a bit. He had one pitch against Atkins that should have got him out of that first inning without much damage. He didn't get the call and seemed like he was unable to recover from there.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #26
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

I've lost all respect for Jim Tracy in this Phillies-Rockies series. He has come out to argue calls twice in the first inning of this game 4. He's been out of the dugout to argue about 4-5 times total thus far in the Series.

The second one he argued today was crazy to argue, as well. Should have tossed him just for being a nuisance.

The umpiring hasn't been good this series, but, it's been bad both ways. Seems like Tracy is trying to make like it's only his team getting the short end of these calls.

Carlos Gonzalez is the real deal, however. Coming up huge when it matters the most. They are probably glad they dealt Holliday to the A's just off that...
Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #27
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Jim Tracy just came out to argue ANOTHER good call by the umps. He is absolutely out of his mind right now. Hope this leads to an epic tantrum at some point, at least. Otherwise, just whining without much entertainment.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:37 AM   #28
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Another good win for the Phillies finishes off the first round of the playoffs.
The league championship series begin on Friday and the pitching matchups will be announced tomorrow or Wednesday. I expect to see CC against Lackey in the ALCS and Hammels v. ??? in the NL.

Catman
Old 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #29
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post

The umpiring hasn't been good this series, but, it's been bad both ways. Seems like Tracy is trying to make like it's only his team getting the short end of these calls.
From the few games I have gotten to see the umpiring in general has been sub par this post season. If these guys are as good as it gets I shudder to think how bad the guys who did not make it are.

How in the world did that guy miss the fair ball call in the Twins/Yanks game when he was literally 15 to 20 feet from where the ball clearly landed in fair territory?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #30
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
How in the world did that guy miss the fair ball call in the Twins/Yanks game when he was literally 15 to 20 feet from where the ball clearly landed in fair territory?
Yeah, that was brutal. If a third base ump misses that you're still shocked, but for the outfield ump? That's crazy.