Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 09-28-2006, 10:16 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Pedro Done

Well, the Mets have announced that Pedro is done for the year which means the NL Pennant race just a got a bit more interesting:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2606427

I'd say with the way some of the other teams are playing the past few weeks the Mets are no longer such a shoe-in to go to the Series.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
matthews_world
Sports Enthusiast

matthews_world is on a distinguished road

Mets might be able to pull it off w/o him. He's pretty much been a non-factor this season. Pretty crappy season, esp. the away game @ Philly in August maybe where he gave up 7 in the first inning. Pretty pathetic season this year.

St. Louis is looking pretty strong this year. They might cause some trouble for the Mets.
matthews_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

St. Louis has lost 8 of their last 9 I think... They don't look too strong to me. But as long as you have Pujols you have a chance. If Houston gets in watch out. They're hot and they have experience.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
matthews_world
Sports Enthusiast

matthews_world is on a distinguished road

Yea, I meant to say a possible St. Louis and everyone knows the Dodgers could qualify for post-season play as of late and cause some difficulty.

The Mets make it as they are in an easy division this year.
matthews_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Oh, I am not saying the Mets won't make it just that a post season rotation that starts with Pedro, Glavine, and El Duque is a lot more formidable than one of Glavine, El Duque and Steve Trachsel or John Maine.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:07 AM   #6
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

The Mets need to have Trachsel step up this post-season. He has some big shoes to fill with Pedro going down.
The Padres, Dodgers and Astros (if they make it) will cause trouble for the Mets, IMO.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Tough loss for the Met, but even with him he didn't have a great season. I know he was injured part of the year, but he still didn't have it this season in my opinion.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The Mets need to have Trachsel step up this post-season. He has some big shoes to fill with Pedro going down.
The Padres, Dodgers and Astros (if they make it) will cause trouble for the Mets, IMO.
To be honest I think I'd go with Maine as opposed to Trachsel. Trachsel is garbage and the only reason he has 15 wins is due to good run support. Between the two of them neither has thrown a postseason inning and Maine has been a bit more consistent this year than Trachsel has.

Don't laugh, but if the Cards drew the Mets in the first round of the playoffs they could give them a run for their money solely because Chris Carpenter is better than anyone the Mets would run out to the mound in that series and he gives the Cards a great chance to win two games if he draws two starts.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:53 AM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I agree with that, but I think the wildcard will come from the West. Either San Diego or LA matches up well with the Mets. Pitching beats hitting and both teams have good pitching. The Mets will have to step it up to make it through the first round.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote