Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

View Poll Results: Who gets your Heisman vote.
Larry Fizgerald, WR, Pittsburgh 5 35.71%
Matt Leinart, QB, USC 1 7.14%
Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi 2 14.29%
Chris Perry, RB, Michigan 3 21.43%
Phil Rivers, QB, North Carolina State 0 0%
Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami (OH) 1 7.14%
Darren Sproles, RB, Kansas State 2 14.29%
B.J. Symons, QB, Texas Tech 2 14.29%
Jason White, QB, Oklahoma 1 7.14%
Mike Williams, WR, USC 1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2003, 01:21 AM   #1
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road
Default Heisman Race

Who gets my vote for the Heisman?

Jason White - Not after the Big 12 championship game.

Larry Fitzgerald - Same as White only against Miami.

Then Who?

Darren Sproles.

1st of all he is the nations leading rusher. 1713 yards put him at #1. 16 Touchdowns. 6.3 Yards per carry. Incredible Stats. But that isn't why he is the man that deserves the Heisman.

Against the undefeated Oklahoma Sooners, Sproles torched them. 230 yards rushing on only 23 carries. 3 receptions for 87 yards and a touchdown. He looked incredible. Big players play big in big games. He did.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 09:46 AM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Jason White blew it.

My vote goes to Chris Perry. He came up big when Michigan needed him.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Yet, Perry was invisible against Oregon.

I'm of the mind that one game doesn't NECESSARILY take away the award. HOWEVER, it can, if the game is big enough, or the performance comes against incredibly subpar competition.

Having never been a huge White guy anyway, I'm willing to push Fitzgerald back into the top 3, Sproles from 7 to 2, Leinart from wherever to 4, Roethlisberger from nowhere to 5, and Manning from 3 to 1.

But, that's just me.

I figure White will still win it, since a lot of votes have likely already been cast, and are due in on Tuesday or Wednesday. I heard a bobblehead suggest last night that another week was needed for voters to ruminate. On one hand, that seems a decent suggestion. On the other hand, voters who were borderline without television evidence might become even more fence-ridden come voting time, and fail to vote. Failure to vote has become a huge issue in Heisman voting, with some ridiculous number, like 60% or more, of those eligible NOT casting ballots. Double-edged sword.

Maybe there's something to doing the Heisman like a pro team all-star vote, though, and letting schlubs like us go and carry our own personal candidates on to personal glory.

Dave
Old 12-07-2003, 07:22 PM   #4
h0kies4life87
Grizzled Veteran

h0kies4life87 is on a distinguished road

You gotta be kidding me, wheres Kevin Jones??
Tennessee Titans
h0kies4life87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 10:26 PM   #5
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road

sorry man, 10 was the limit, and he wasn't on espn.com's heisman watch. He was #11.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:16 PM   #6
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I would love to see Eli Manning win the heisman, but I really think Fitzgerald has the best shot to win the heisman at this point.

That being said, lets not count out Jason White. I remember Eric Crouch winning the Heisman after his team lost by a ton to Colorado, his team didn't even play in the conference title game, and he had 7 tds in comparison to 11 interceptions that year. Eric Crouch won it over better players that year in Grossman and Ken Dorsey as well. Jason White might just do the same thing. Nebraska went to title game in 2001 and Crouch won the heisman, and now Oklahoma is going to title game and White might win the heisman....both very comparable, and both just not right at all.

Fitzgerald to win it, but I hope Eli.

Joey
Old 12-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #7
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

This is the most wide-open year in sometime. There is no dominating player who deserves it. I like Fitzgerald and Manning.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 04:22 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I think last year was similarly wide-open. And the Crouch year was also, at least debate-wise, wide open as well.

I think it's now that the decision by the Manning folks not to hype him will hurt his chances. Otherwise, he and Leinart would be top candidates, in addition to Sproles, Fitzgerald, White, and somewhat forgotten but not completely dismissable Symons.

Dave
Old 12-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #9
diablopost
Rookie Player

diablopost is on a distinguished road
Arrow

<<EDITED BY MODERATOR. SITE PROMOTION IS NOT CONDONED. PLEASE PROMOTE YOUR SITE IN YOUR SIGNATURE. OTHERWISE, ALL YOU'RE DOING IS SPAMMING, WHICH IS NOT PERMITTED.>> posted odds on the trophy.

Jason White (Oklahoma) +100
Larry Fitzgerald (Pittsburgh) +250
Eli Manning (Mississippi) +350
Chris Perry (Michigan) +350
Kevin Jones (Virginia Tech) +450
Philip Rivers (NC State) +450
Field (All Others) +600

Explanation: In the Odds listed above Jason White is the current favorite to Win the Award. A $100 bet on Jason White pays back the player $100. A $100 bet on Philip Rivers to win would pay the player back $450.

<<EDITED BY MODERATOR. SITE PROMOTION IS NOT CONDONED. PLEASE PROMOTE YOUR SITE IN YOUR SIGNATURE. OTHERWISE, ALL YOU'RE DOING IS SPAMMING, WHICH IS NOT PERMITTED.>>

<<INCREDULOUS MODERATOR'S NOTE: WHY WOULD YOU SPAM US WITH ODDS FOR GUYS WE KNOW WON'T WIN, I.E., ANYONE NOT NAMED WHITE, MANNING, PERRY, OR FITZGERALD.>>

Last edited by MountaineerDave; 12-11-2003 at 07:25 PM.
diablopost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

After looking at some of the numbers, I'm even more dubious of the Perry invitation to NY than I originally thought I was.

Perry's numbers
Carries Yards Avg TDs
315 1589 5.0 17

Sproles's numbers
293 1948 6.6 15

Sproles ran for 350 more yards on 22 fewer carries. Sproles leads the nation in rushing. Perry had a nice big game against OSU, but Sproles had three huge games in a row. Against Nebraska, with the Big 12 North division likely on the line, Sproles has a pedestrian 140 yards. The following week, against Missouri, this time, the Big 12 North division title deciding game, Sproles went out and had a career day 43 carries 273 yards and 2 TDs. And then, just to drive it home, Sproles made it possible for KSU to stun the Sooners, running 22 times for 235 yards. He scored on a pass reception, but not on the ground.

One can claim strength of schedule all one would like, but it'll fall on deaf ears here. Sproles ran circles around a befuddled OU defense. Running all around a top defense was all Perry did to warrant an invite to NY. Sproles should have been afforded the same courtesy. At least Sproles did it at neutral site. Whether Perry could have done the same at a neutral site is, of course, hypothetical fodder for the debate.

Meanwhile, I'm sick of the Heisman. It almost never goes to whom I believe it should, and is just as much a marketing scam as Christmas.

Dave
Old 12-11-2003, 08:32 PM   #11
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

^^^I agree. The Heisman: The most overrated award for sports accomplishment.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:15 PM   #12
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

The Heisman is more about national attention than showing the best player in college football.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:42 PM   #13
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

3 WR's have one the award, 4 if you coun't Woodson.

Odds aren't in Fitzgeralds favor.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:16 PM   #14
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Fitzgerald should win, no doubt. I think both White and Manning are a bit overrated. Fitzgerald is just a monster, but I think I would rather have Mike Williams on my team lined up at wide receiver than Fitzgerald, but Fitzgerald has monstrous numbers and he deserves it. For a wide receiver to score a TD every game is just an incredible accomplishment.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 11:21 PM   #15
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

And, by the way, just to add this in, I think the worst Heisman Trophy decision ever was giving it to Charles Woodson. The Heisman Trophy was supposed to be based on the player who was the most important to his team. Charles Woodson, a cornerback, and mediocre wide receiver was not even the heart and soul of his own team. He didn't deserve it. Also, I think it was an outrage when Joe Hamilton did not win it in 99. I hate Ron Dayne, he is fat and slow and everyone sees that now that he's in the NFL. I never thought he was that great in college. Hamilton was the ultimate college football player. He showed the world that in college, size does not matter, anyone can get out there and be a star if they work hard enough. That Georgia Tech offense, especially in Hamilton's senior year was probably the funnest offense to watch ever to me. They had incredible receivers, the best QB in the nation, a very deep backfield, a big, powerful O-line, and they ran some wishbone. Very balanced attack there and Hamilton could throw the ball and had the country's best receivers going out and getting it. Plus, he was a great scrambler and ran the option to perfection.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote