Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 01-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default 2007 Hof

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof07/...ory?id=2725461

Ripken and Gwynn are in.

Cal got 98.5% of the vote, while Tony picked up 97.6. I'm surprised both got such a high percentage of votes.

McGwire had 23.5% and Goose Goosage received 71.2%. Good to see Mark so low and Goose so high.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Saberhagen got seven votes? Maybe next year Bret.

And again, Tommy John deserves an honorary bid for still being talked about every season!
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Not surprised to see Ripken and Gwynn such a large number of votes at all. For one both guys were class acts on and off the field. Gwynn is arguably the best pure hitter of his generation and Ripken was the game's best offensive shortstop to play the game at the time he retired.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Not to mention both players turned down larger dollar contracts to stay with their original teams. These guys were shoe-ins.
As to McGwire, his day will come, but not for a couple of years. Harmon Killebrew, one of the classiest guys you'll ever meet, had to wait a couple of years to get the call.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
As to McGwire, his day will come, but not for a couple of years.
I think the baseball writers were looking to make a statement this year, and McGwire will no doubt receive more votes in future ballots than he did this time around.

If he doesn't, I don't understand how you can justify not putting someone with his numbers in the hall based purely on what has been speculated to have happened in his playing career.

As much as I dislike Mark McGwire and I am not saddened by the baseball writers' decision not to vote McGwire in the Hall of Fame (yet), the guy deserves to go in unless we have concrete evidence that he took steroids.

And we don't have that evidence.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
As much as I dislike Mark McGwire and I am not saddened by the baseball writers' decision not to vote McGwire in the Hall of Fame (yet), the guy deserves to go in unless we have concrete evidence that he took steroids.

And we don't have that evidence.
I agree. I think the voters made the right decision in not voting in McGwire on the first ballot. Gwynn & Ripken deserve their moment in the sun, and I think it would've sullied it for them if McGwire went in the HOF at the same time...
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Not necessarily, Sue. Marc McGwire was the most prolific homerun hitter of his generation and were it not for him missing several seasons due to injuries, Bonds might be chasing his record, not Aaron's.
As I said, I believe he will eventually be enshrined in Cooperstown, but I am glad he was not voted in on the first ballot.

Catman
Old 01-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Not necessarily, Sue. Marc McGwire was the most prolific homerun hitter of his generation and were it not for him missing several seasons due to injuries, Bonds might be chasing his record, not Aaron's.
As I said, I believe he will eventually be enshrined in Cooperstown, but I am glad he was not voted in on the first ballot.
I was referring to the steroid cloud surrounding McGwire, not his resume. He was a great player, but too many questions persist. Yes, he has never tested positive for steroids or other banned substances, but the rumors are there. And his testimony before congress a couple years ago didn't help his image...
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

I would agree with that, Sue. Mac should have either answered the questions or denied using banned substances. He was given very poor advice prior to his appearance, IMO.

Catman
Old 01-10-2007, 03:32 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
As to McGwire, his day will come, but not for a couple of years. Harmon Killebrew, one of the classiest guys you'll ever meet, had to wait a couple of years to get the call.
It had better come! The whole thing is so ridiculous. If you're keeping Big Mac out of the Hall, Ty Cobb and Gaylord Perry should be yanked out of there, too.

Also, 98% for Ripken, 97% for Gwynn... you're telling me that someone with credentials actually voted "NO" on these guys?!?! THEY SHOULD BE SHOT IN THE HEAD!
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted #99
Also, 98% for Ripken, 97% for Gwynn... you're telling me that someone with credentials actually voted "NO" on these guys?!?! THEY SHOULD BE SHOT IN THE HEAD!
They both rank as two of the top seven vote getters of all-time, with Ripken Jr. currently ranked third and the highest among infield players.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, but what I find stunning is that they didn't receive 100% of the vote. There are players who should get 100% of the vote.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

A unanimous vote has never occured. Tom Seaver is the highest vote getter of all-time at 98.84%.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
99 - Mike and Mike touched on this subject this morning. This is ridiculous and I agree... its not that people vote "NO" its that some writers just don't vote. They had one writer (sorry, forget the name) that will NEVER vote 1st year people just because he believes that NO ONE should get 100% because Ruth, Cobb, and some other great didn't have 100%. That logic is just stupid IMO, but hey, he has the vote and thats how he feels. :thumbdown:
Old 01-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #15
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I would vote for McGwire. He has the numbers, but more importantly, that home run race of '98 was instrumental in the revival of the sport. The other guys were a given, congrats to them.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote