Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #31
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The key here could be what Parcells thinks of John Beck: If he agrees with me and believes that Beck has little if any hope of making it in the NFL, he's a lot less likely to keep the pick because Matt Ryan would be considered a "reach" with the top overall pick; then there's the matter of exactly how far Brian Brohm's stock has dropped, which could determine how far Parcells would be willing to trade down (if he doesn't like Brohm either and insists on Ryan, he can't trade down lower than where Atlanta picks, because the Falcons are virtually certain to pick Ryan if he's still on the board when they select).
The counter to that argument though is that I cannot remember Parcells ever spending a top pick on a QB. If he thinks Beck can be a guy who can manage the game and develop into someone who does not make dumb decisions then he will stick with Beck Parcells mindset has always been to win by running the ball playing strong defense and not turning the ball over. He has a history of going with solid veterans at QB as opposed to trying to develop young QBs.

I think if Parcells is not enamored with Beck he is more likely to grab someone like John David Booty or Chad Henne later in the draft than he is Ryan or Brohm.

As for Brohm I don't think his status has taken too big of a hit. The consensus is that Louisville underachieved due to not having a defense of any kind and is not a reflection on how Brohm played. You are going to lose your share of games when your D is giving up 30+ ppg. Brohm had a strong season and he finally showed he could stay healthy for an entire season and had only one real clunker of a game against USF.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #32
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
The counter to that argument though is that I cannot remember Parcells ever spending a top pick on a QB.
Drew Bledsoe? - 1993 draft; his first season as HC of the Patriots.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #33
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

D'oh I completely forgot about Bledsoe. But Parcells does have a history of focusing more on building a run oriented offense around a QB who won't lose games for him.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #34
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

ALso Chad was a first rounder as well.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #35
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

But is John Beck even good enough to not lose games?

I have grave doubts about that; and most opposing defensive coordinators probably do too - which means that Ronnie Brown etc. are going to get 8- and 9-boxed to death next year if the Dolphins go into the season with Beck as their starting quarterback (plus Miami's receivers are even worse than Philadelphia's, if that's possible).

Back in 1999, I remember when Donovan McNabb was inserted into the lineup; and while from a purely statistical standpoint, it was an utter debacle, you nonetheless got the feeling that at least he offered some hope.

By contrast, if Gertrude Stein saw John Beck this year, she would inexorably conclude that "there isn't any there there."
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #36
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
With the first pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select:

Glenn Dorsey, defensive tackle, LSU
As long as Miami keeps the first pick in the NFL draft, I will buy this.

Glenn Dorsey is an impact player and would be a strong addition to Miami on the defensive side of the ball. Dorsey is a very skillful player that can either play inside in a 4-3 defense, or shift outside on a 3-4 defense.

And the defensive side of the football is a major concern for Miami. The Dolphins are last in the league in rush defense, giving up over 158 yards a game and nearly 5-yards a carry.

If they keep the pick, the ought to draft what I think will be an immediate impact player on defense.

I buy Glenn Dorsey going to the Miami Dolphins.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #37
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #38
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

Buy or Sell Chad Pennington making the Chiefs a playoff team if he went there.

I buy this he is a perfect fit for Herm's offense and they would be a winning team no doubt.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #39
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Pennington is a good QB. He is about as accurate as anyone in the NFL. He could use some arm strength, but in the right system, he could thrive.

I still have to SELL this. The Chiefs aren't very good. And Pennington isn't that good...

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #40
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

The chiefs were in the playoffs last year if they got LJ back and with the developement of Dwayne Bowe I really think chad could manage things well enough to get that team to 10 and 6 and make it in outside of SD that divison isn't all that good.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:31 PM   #41
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3
Buy or Sell Chad Pennington making the Chiefs a playoff team if he went there.
Sell.

In the last two years, Chad Pennington has thrown for 27 touchdowns and 25 interceptions, while he has also been sacked 56 times for 350-yards lost while fumbling the ball away four times. If Kansas City wanted a veteran quarterback on the decline, they should have held onto Trent Green who, while being just as injury prone as Pennington, has certainly outproduced him dating back to his arrival in Kansas City in 2001.

The Larry Johnson injury for Kansas City hurt them, but this team was going nowhere even with Larry Johnson -- as he only had 3 touchdowns and an average of 3.5 yards per carry by the time he went down with the injury. At that point Kansas City was 4-4 on the season and more than declining as they began facing the heart of their schedule.

Brodie Croyle deserves the opportunity to prove himself as a quarterback in this league, and Kansas City deserves to award him that opportunity next season. What Kansas City has to do in the offseason is improve their offensive line, which has allowed Croyle to be sacked fourteen times in the eight games that he has played in, and they need to provide Croyle with some more weapons -- because teams will continue to double-team Tony Gonzalez until he is a non-factor in the game. Dwayne Bowe was a great first-round pick up, but even Bowe has struggled throughout the course of the season and has failed to establish himself as an offensive threat at WR.

Kansas City needs to draft wisely, hopefully picking up offensive tackle Jake Long from Michigan with their first selection in the draft.

But if Kansas City doesn't make the much needed improvements to their offensive line and in their receiving corps, then Pennington or Croyle or any other quarterback in the system will be a sitting duck just waiting to take a beating.

Sell.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #42
boston_aloha
FFB #2

SELL (if Toby sells, we all gotta!)

But I have a few points....

1. I personally think Pennington sucks. I cannot remember him doing anything other than the 2002 year.
2. Although, if he was going to suceed anywhere... I would say it would be in KC under Herm Edwards
3. He has no arm strength and as mentioned is very injury prone.

EDIT: I think I was a little ruff on Chad... Let me just say I belive his lack of production is due to his injuries.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 12-28-2007 at 12:51 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #43
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I'd sell it too. The primary reason KC's offense has deteriorated to the point it has today is all of the o-line talent that has left in the last two years. Chiefs' QBs have taken 52 sacks this year so I doubt Pennington would last half a season in KC before he ended up being knocked out of the lineup for several weeks.

You could do a lot worse than Pennington as your starter but what would be the point if you think Croyle is the long term guy and he does not offer a significant upgrade from Huard in the first place?
Old 12-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #44
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!!

There is no way in hell that CP would turn the Chiefs into a playoff team. I mean, they barely squeezed in last year, and were one and done, they weren't even in the picture this year, and now you're telling me that by adding Chad Pennington with that mediocre set of receivers they have, that the Chiefs would be a playoff team with him???

They would have to add at least two more threats besides Dwayne Bowe to their receiving corps. Somebody to spell LJ, and a couple more pieces to their LBs and DBs.

No... the Chiefs are done winning now... It's time for Brodie Croyle... and only Brodie Croyle.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #45
boston_aloha
FFB #2

That was a good round guys... We covered that pretty well in about 2 hours. Everyone SOLD - I think we can move onto to the next topic. I hope DM3 had nothing more to add.