Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
knicksfanjhb
Rookie Player

knicksfanjhb is on a distinguished road
Cool Is Tom Brady REALLY the MVP so far?

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and have been going through the numbers and although it seems like Tom Brady is the obvious choice for MVP, I'm beginning to think otherwise. Brady is amazing. There's no debate there. He might go down as the best quarterback to ever live. Again, no debate. The only real debate lays in the fact that he might not actually be the most VALUABLE player in the league right now.

Look to a guy named Brett Favre: he has no support around him and has played teams with MUCH better defenses and has still led his team to a 9-1 record.

I wrote a post about it in my blog if you guys wanna check it out. This is not meant to be spam. I just want some feedback and discussion going on the topic in general, whether on this discussion board or at my site.

Let me know what you guys think

<<<redacted promotional link>>>

Last edited by doublee; 11-20-2007 at 02:08 PM.
knicksfanjhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Ha ha... welcome to the boards man. Funny you posted this - I touched on this "Favre for MVP" in the "NFC" thread yesterday. So I'll recap.

Brady is handsdown the LOCK for MVP. Favre does not even come close. MVP is not about who is the most valuable. Its about single season stats. If doing more with less won you MVP's then Tom Brady would have won MVP in 2003 and 2004 when he won 2 Superbowls with nobody's. Who won the MVP then? Peyton Manning did while he was setting records with a HOF cast. Hell, Brady could have won it last year too for almost winning the AFC Champ game a bunch of nobody's again.

I understand what you are saying because back in 2003-04 I was the guy crying out saying Brady is gong 14-2 with no pro-bowl WR's or any probowlers on his team. I used to say, "if Brady had Manning's WR's he'd be the MVP, ect, ect." Well now that he has those type of WR's he is showing us just why he could be the best QB to ever play in the NFL. Its his turn for MVP now - he has the numbers (and more) that got Peyton his MVP.

Last edited by boston_aloha; 11-20-2007 at 12:23 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I agree that Farve isn't the MVP but Steve is Brady? Let me ask you something. How many INt's has Rand Saved Brady from throwing. Right team Wrong guy in my opinion.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

See... I dont agree with that Dave... the REASON Brady throws those types of passes is because he KNOWS Moss will catch them. He never threw those types of passes to Cauldwell, Gaffney and those other flunkies... its not like his game has declined and Moss is bailing him out - he just knows that Moss will catch it so he can do that. Brady is the first guy to say (and I quote) "that's not me, that's all Randy Moss". He knows Moss' skill and uses that - another reason why Brady is so good.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

Moss is turning Brady into an unstoppable Force. Moss is an unstoppable force when ever he wants to be. So I think he is the MVP even though Tom wins it in a landslide.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Brady is setting NFL records as we speak...
he could go 16-0
shatter the TD record
shatter the passer rating record
he has 3 or more TD's in 10 games thus far (NFL record)

I'm leaving a few out that they covered last night. This is just amazing... Moss is great, but honestly, is Brady not due?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

No Brady is due for the MVP and He will get it. Because QB is always mor important then WR. But Steve Who's the best player on that field. Is it not Randy Moss. That is why every sport needs two seperate awards.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I think the best player is Tom Brady.
Look at it this way... Tom Brady started in 2001...
2001 - won SB
2002 - Pro Bowl
2003 - won SB
2004 - won SB
2005 - lost div round - probowl
2006 - lost AFC champ

Thats just sick...
Throw down Randy Moss' stats... granted he's unbelievable... no argument there.. but Moss's numbers in 05-06 hurt him in the argument of "who's the best player" IMO.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #9
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

For a career yea Tom is Better. But this season there is no one else in the league compared to Moss he just has something no one else does. It is incredible watching both these two. It must be real hard to be a pats and redsox fan.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
he just has something no one else does.
Yeah, he has Tom Brady!!

I think we are going round and round here,,, they are both great. But let me make one other point.

I think if you were to ask or poll: "who would you rather have on your team this season?" Brady or Moss?

I bet everyone (except Colt fans and maybe a few Bengal fans) would say Brady. Brady can single handedly take a team to a SB and win one - or get close. Moss really cannot do that.

I dont' know... it may be pointless to compare a QB to a WR?? Don't ya think?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Brady is easily MVP.

Ask yourself this question:

What would the Patriots look like if Brady went down with an injury, and Matt Cassel had to play?

Would they still be good? Sure. Would they be the best team ever? Not even close.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

CK they would look like the 98 Vikings. A less then Great QB throwing ot a guy that is better then everyone that trys to cover him. I'm not trying to compare Cassel to Cunnigham no one knows what Cassel is.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Brady is easily MVP.

Ask yourself this question:

What would the Patriots look like if Brady went down with an injury, and Matt Cassel had to play?

Would they still be good? Sure. Would they be the best team ever? Not even close.
Thank you Fresh, you made my point. If the Pats lose Brady they prob wouldn't get by Indy or (dare I say?) Pittsburgh.
If they lose Moss, they are still winning the SB - just not as easy as we think they will, and without the stellar numbers.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davematthews3 View Post
CK they would look like the 98 Vikings. A less then Great QB throwing ot a guy that is better then everyone that trys to cover him. I'm not trying to compare Cassel to Cunnigham no one knows what Cassel is.
The way I see it - there are probably other receivers in the NFL that could be putting up the numbers that Moss is if they were in that system. Maybe TO, maybe Chad Johnson, maybe a lot of guys. I don't think any Q could do what Brady is doing - not Manning, not Roethlisberger, not Palmer - no one.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Moss is easily the best WR to just throw the ball up to and let him go and get it and thats what Brady is doing this season. He has the ability whereas the other WR's arent in his league in that area. I dont think ANYBODY can go up and get the ball like Moss can.

That said, I think you'll be able to flip a coin at the end of the season between Moss and Brady, and have the MVP. A case will be able to be made for both because both are going to shatter records and have MVP worthy seasons. Either choice you cant go wrong with.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote