Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default Mandatory draft for boys and girls (ages 18-26) starting June 15, 2005

Universal National Service Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)

HR 163 IH

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 163
To provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in
the United States, including women, perform a period of military service
or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and
homeland security, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 7, 2003
Mr. RANGEL (for himself, Mr. MCDERMOTT, Mr. CONYERS,
Mr. LEWIS of Georgia, Mr. STARK, and Mr. ABERCROMBIE)
introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Armed Services

link to the full bill which YOU SHOULD READ IN ITS ENTIRETY:
http://thomas.loc.gov/
and search for HR 163

if this bill is passed it means EVERYONE gets drafted.
we can NOT go to college & we can NOT go to canada to avoid it.
its important enough that everyone should take the time to read this.
if you scroll down there's some more info on a article
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wisdom from Dr. Tim Anderson from Denison University:

Mandatory Draft

Mandatory draft for boys and girls (ages 18-26) starting June 15, 2005, is something that everyone should know about. This literally effects everyone since we all have or know children that will be drafted and be sent to Bush's wars wherever he decides to call the next one.

There is pending legislation in the house and senate(companion bills: S89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin as early as Spring 2005, just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

This plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a shelter and includes women in the draft. Also,crossing into Canada has already been made very difficult. This legislation is called HR 163 and can be found in detail at this website:

http://thomas.loc.gov

Just enter in "HR 163" and click search and will bring up the bill for you to read. It is less than two pages long.

If this bill passes, it will include all men and women from 18 - 26 in a draft for military action. Have you heard Bush talking about this on his campaign trail? In addition, since he's no longer draftable, college will no longer be an option to avoid the draft AND Bush will be signing an agreement with Canada which will no longer permit anyone attempting to dodge the draft to stay within its borders.

This bill also includes the extension of military service INDEFINITELY for all those that are currently active. If you go to the selective service web site and read their 2004 FYI Goals you will see that the reasoning for this is to increase the size of the military in case of terrorism. However, the real goal is global domination by the Bushies of every oil-related enterprise. This is a critical piece of legislation, this will affect our children and our grandchildren. Please take the time to write your congressman and let him/her know how you feel about this legislation. You might start by telling the beloved congressperson that if a war is just, our country will have no trouble finding soldiers. If the war is clearly a trumped up expression of just how corrupt a government can be, then even the military will refuse to be sent unnecessarily into harm's way. Go to the web sites for both the White House and Senate (http://www.house.gov/ and http://www.senate.gov/) and voice your sentiments, whatever they may be.

Please also write to your representatives and ask them why they aren't telling their constituents about these bills and write to newspapers and other media outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story. Just why isn't Bush talking about how he's going to draft you?

The draft $28 million has been added to the 2004 selective service system budget to prepare for a military draft thatcould start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 [ed note. If he is re-elected] that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation.

Please see www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the Selective Service System annual performance plan, fiscal year 2004. The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Hogwash.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Yeah. This would be all over the news. Bills being introduced are a matter of public display. More than one obscure guy would pick up on this.

Digital, I hope you're being naive and not purposefully spreading s**t.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

There has been a movement underway in DC to re-institute the draft for a while now, but I do not believe the bill has actually gone to vote in Congress as of yet because there is too much opposition to pass it. From skimming through this it looks like it was referred to committee and they seem to be intent on burying for the time being. May here more about it after the election is over.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 09-14-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road

Gay. SO DAMN GAY
I turn 18 in 2 and a half years
Old 09-14-2004, 11:12 PM   #6
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by doublee
There has been a movement underway in DC to re-institute the draft for a while now, but I do not believe the bill has actually gone to vote in Congress as of yet because there is too much opposition to pass it. From skimming through this it looks like it was referred to committee and they seem to be intent on burying for the time being. May here more about it after the election is over.

Old 09-14-2004, 11:36 PM   #7
ESP0704
All-Star Player

ESP0704 is on a distinguished road

Chill, folks.
This is listed on the Urban Legends Web site as a hoax.
No such bill is currently in Congress.
But stay tuned, things could change after the election.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:37 PM   #8
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I don't know how they can associate Bush with this legislation. Rangel is a Democrat and I'm sure at least 80 percent of the people supporting it are too. No exemptions?? Please. The military doesn't have enough jobs for every male and female 18-24.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:30 AM   #9
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

I'm confident I won't be drafted. And I've still got a couple years left...
Old 09-15-2004, 06:09 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky the Kid
I don't know how they can associate Bush with this legislation. Rangel is a Democrat and I'm sure at least 80 percent of the people supporting it are too. No exemptions?? Please. The military doesn't have enough jobs for every male and female 18-24.
This particular bill may be a hoax, but there have been some politicians stumping for it, it never gained any real steam though. I remember seeing it being reported on the news a few months after the Iraq war started.

Some support for this started because there are some out there who blame Clinton for 9/11 because he went to great lengths to strip down the military and now that the US is engaged in a military action its forces are being spread too thin. This also gained some support due to soldiers having their tours constantly extended due to not having enough reserves to replace them.

The US Military always has enough jobs as long as the Republicans control the budget they always push military spending through the roof. How do you think Reagan ran up such a huge deficit in the 80s?

Oh, and if the bill were passed and Bush signed it into law then that is as good as supporting it. If he wanted to avoid being attached to it he would have to veto it and then Congress would have to attempt to override it for it to go into affect.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #11
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

In two years, if there is a draft, I will be at the age to be drafed.

Is there really a posibility that they will have a draft with in the next few years?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:37 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I doubt it. If there was really an underswelling of support for this then it probably would have been pushed through by now.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:01 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Actually, doublee, I don't think so.
This is the kind of thing you wait until after an election to try to run through Congress, because you have a fresh four years of lying and subterfuge to get it done.

Or, right after another terrorist attack on our soil, when patriotism is in its most jingoistic, anti-Rest-of-World fervor. Indeed, I could very much see something like this shamefully dubbed, the "Pat Tillman Act."

Dave
Old 09-15-2004, 09:21 PM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, my thought was if there was strong public support for such a thing then they would have pushed it through by now so they could use it as a campaign tool: "See, look at what we did to ensure the safety of the country".

But, a large portion of the public now feels that we went into Iraq for the wrong reasons, that Bush lied about it and sold us a bill of goods about Weapons of Mass Destruction, and that we need to get out of Iraq as soon as possible.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 PM   #15
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

I'm all for it..... I served for 8 years and don't see any problem with it.

That and I'm in Canada

tumblr | twitter
Closed Thread