Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Hockey

Old 02-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
spooftel
Rookie Player

spooftel is on a distinguished road
Angry hockey blues

The announcement of the 2004-2005 NHL hockey season has been cancelled! What does one do with all the hockey fan energy?

The "PR Guy" SpoofTel.com

Last edited by spooftel; 03-09-2005 at 07:51 PM.
spooftel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Why is the hockey board even open?

Hockey is a thing of the past, my friends.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #3
Zinzey16
ZZ on Top

Zinzey16 is on a distinguished road

NHL hockey may appear to be a thing of the past (for now at least) but hockey is still alive and well....at least here in Ontario it is.....

Go Knights Go!!

http://ladysilverback.proboards41.com ~ Join the hottest new football message forum!!
Zinzey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #4
StealthElephant
Grizzled Veteran

StealthElephant is on a distinguished road
Default Re: hockey blues

Quote:
Originally posted by spooftel
Man its been a few months now with no NHL hockey. What does one do with all the hockey fan energy?
I've actually been doing homework

No no, I'm just kidding, I wouldn't dare do that.

Right now I've been channeling that energy to get the Eagles to a championship. Once sunday is done, I'm going to have to figure something out. I can only pray something happens at tomorrow's meeting. How sweet would it be, they make a deal tomorrow, the Eagles win the super bowl, then BAM, 10 days from today the NHL starts up. Hell, I can dream can't I?
StealthElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

LOL. Im glad they cancelled the season. Now no hockey games will eat up sports channels. Id rather watch basketball anyway.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

This is not good Now we have the whole time from march maddeness to the basketball playoffs with nothing to watch but meaningless early season baseball
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #7
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

I don't know if anyone knows but how many american based minor leagues are thier? And what are about the 3 or 4 most dominant. I know the ECHL and AHL are pretty good, I've also know the UHL, where do they all rank?

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

The AHL is the most popular of them all.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:20 AM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I can sense the shipments of anti-depressants being sent up to Canada as we speak. Crummy cold weather and no hockey ... must be tough. Maybe now they can get behind the Raptors and Blue Jays.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:53 AM   #10
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

I'm sick and tired of posts like dave and marc's. Shut the @!%$ up!! Hockey is no sport in Canada. The NHL is NOT a sports league in Canada. Hockey is a RELIGION, the NHL is the the CHURCH, and Hockey Night in Canada is the MASS. It's THAT IMPORTANT to our country. Tonight's national newscast on CBC was 5 minutes about same sex marriage, 5 minutes about the Kyoto Accord, 5 minutes about other random news tidbits, and FORTY-FIVE minutes about the NHL shutdown. I don't care what you think -- we've had this fight several times before. If they cancelled March Madness and the NFL, what if I said something arrogant like "good, finally!... maybe now you can get behind the NHL?"

SAME THING. Why do you post on this board if you don't know anything about the game or the sport or the league? Blue Jays were the first team to crack 3 million fans and 25-30 thousand fans per game is great for a losing team in the toughest division in baseball. Raptors are very well attended for a team that's been losing for 4 years and is in a rebuilding mode, over 75% capacity every night is very good for that situation with MLSE setting absurd ticket prices regardless.

Hockey is alive and well in Canada. As I said in another post (maybe in another thread), people in Canada generally don't care that the NHL is gone right now. There is TONNES of hockey to watch in our "curmmy cold weather" ...CHL is astounding, the AHL is great this year too, and there are minor leagues runnng all around the country from age 4 to age 17.

Kentucky sports NASCAR and your little wlidcats there. The general population there will NEVER... EVER... get behind the nearby Predators or Thrashers or some other hockey team. So don't give Canada crap about not supporting the Raptors and Blue Jays. Those sports will NEVER... EVER... be #1 here. They are extremely well supported... basketball and baseball are a LOT better supported than any hockey is down there, even when they are winning. So shut up and don't comment on this board unless you have something constructive so say.

Last edited by lmanchur.; 02-17-2005 at 08:43 AM.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #11
Zinzey16
ZZ on Top

Zinzey16 is on a distinguished road

Wow. Excellent post Lee. I couldn't agree more with all of it.

http://ladysilverback.proboards41.com ~ Join the hottest new football message forum!!
Zinzey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:33 PM   #12
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

...crazy canadians
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Whoa, chill out there. I wasn't saying you don't support the Blue Jays or Raptors, just meant at least you can still get behind those hometown teams (curiously enough, your non-hockey pro teams shrunk in half with the loss of the Grizzlies and Expos, so appreciate what you do have).

I realize hockey is more than a sport up there, and I respect that. It's a lot like basketball here and I wouldn't be offended if you told me to watch hockey should anything ever happen to basketball. Not that college sports will ever, ever have a similar problem.

Yeah, hockey is everything to you all, but it seems silly to anyone else to place minor league hockey above the NBA, MLB, or NFL. That's just pushing it ... you're putting minor league hockey No. 1 just because it's hockey, not because it's more signifcant than the other three major pro leagues.

Further, you blindly associate Kentucky with NASCAR and it isn't big here at all, there are no races here and I don't know anyone who is a big fan of it. It's not different than me posting on the hockey board even though I'm not as knowledgeable as others when it comes to it.

Again, I mean no disrespect to Canada and my whole post was jokingly making light of how hockey-obsessed you are. Don't take it so personal and get so defensive.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:13 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

If feelings are running a bit raw now, imagine the reaction next October when the owners send scabs out there, which is what I'm predicting will happen (why re-open negotiations when it is patently obvious who holds all the aces?).

And this could have profound implications for the three other major sports as well, for if the NHL owners do succeed in busting the players' union in that sport, the owners in the other three will be tempted to try and duplicate their success. In the NFL, that means this scenario could be re-enacted in that league in 2007.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:09 AM   #15
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Marc, putting college basketball above the NBA just doesn't make sense to me either.. ZERO SENSE. The kids are the same age level... the kids are pretty much at the pro level and are going to be drafted within 1-4 years of them starting junior... sooooooooo..... I dont' get it. Same thing... different sport. I don't understand your contradictory logic. Again, hockey is a religion in Canada... it doesn't matter what level it is and Canada doesn't NEED the NHL for hockey to be alive and well because we have the best hockey players in the country, from minor to junior to pro leagues.

Vancouver and Montreal are compeltely different situations than the Blue Jays and Raptors. Ever since the draft with Steve Francis the Grizzlies never had a chance and never EVER got off the ground from which they started in 1994. The Expos were the best major league team with the best attendance in 1994 and people just stopped caring when they didn't have the opportunity to win the World Series... and then they were pretty much only half-Montreal's team for the last few years. It will be a lot like most teams in the south in the NHL I would imagine when this league comes back.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote