Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 06-18-2003, 04:38 PM   #1
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road
Default Big Ten Preview Released

Here is the Big Ten Preview. And I don't think all you buckeye fans will be very happy if OSU loses the game that the website says they will.Big Ten Preview
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks 33 for the link. I'm not too worried about them picking Michigan over OSU. Anyone who picks Wisconsin to go 10-2 is pretty much in need of a few men in white coats to come and take them away.

The site also calls for the Big Ten to play all 10 conference foes in a year so we don't have an Iowa-OSU draw like last year. WTF?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:04 PM   #3
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

I noticed that Ohio State was one of the few, if any (I didn't check them all, the ones I did had 7) to have 8 home games and just 4 on the road. That is just too easy. They should be playing either Washington or N.C. State on the road. They will start off with five straight home games, which is just ridiculous. It's alot easier to play a tough non conference team at home, than away. That would be a great schedule if they did that. Maybe that is why they are playing Wisconson on the road again, because they weren't allowed to have 9 home games. Just seems a little patsy on OSU's part.

Last edited by tigereyes33; 06-18-2003 at 07:08 PM.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:27 PM   #4
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Whoo-Hoo!!

Go Gophers!!
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 01:52 AM   #5
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

At least that web site thinks that Wisconsin is half way decent...lol. I have a problem with the site saying that Michigan will lose at Iowa, yet they say Michigan will beat everyone else on their schedule. Well, this is all speculation, so who knows right?

Buckeye, considering that the Big 10 does not have a conference championship game, and so many teams, 2 teams can go undefeated yet never play each other in the same conference. That is something that can NEVER happen in the SEC, Big 12, ACC, or Big East, because if 2 undefeated teams did not play each other during the regular season, then they would definitely play in the Conference Championship game in both the SEC and Big 12. Everyone plays everyone in the ACC and Big East. This now leaving the Big 10 and Pac 10 conferences as the only ones who can continue to have this 2 undefeated teams problem within the conference, without a definite winner.

Buckeye, isn't that ironic that the Rose Bowl tie in conferences are the only ones who can have more than 1 undefeated team within the same conference. I am more than certain that you don't want a Big 10 Championship game for that would ruin tradition and the likes, and I must say I don't care for the SEC or Big 12 Championship as well. But the site does have a point, and that really was terrible to have 2 undefeated teams within the same conference, yet they didn't play one another.

Joey
Old 06-19-2003, 10:01 AM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

At least we can call last year sort of flukey. Odds of team A not playing team B any given year in the Big Ten is 20%. Chances that two teams go undefeated and are in that 20% are astronomically low. But, unfortunately, that's just what happened last year.

I like that this preview is willing to forecast upsets (in preseason NFL predictions, no one ever picks a wildcard game to go to a championship game, even though it happens frequently, for example). Interestingly, their front page "Upset of the year" was Northwestern over Michigan, but they didn't actually PREDICT that, instead predicting Iowa would beat Michigan. Weird.

If Wisconsin is as good as many are predicting, than the Big Ten has pretty much handed the 2003 title to Michigan. OSU at home, and Penn State and Wisconsin off the schedule? Ye Gods.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 11:03 AM   #7
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Michigan does have the easiest road in the Big 10 no doubts, and if they were going to push for the National Title this would be the year to do so.

I agree that 2 undefeated teams within the Big 10 probably won't be happening again for quite a while, but I just don't like the fact that it actually happened last season. At least Iowa lost a non conference game against Iowa State, because if they had not then there would have been tons of controversy in who went to play Miami in the Fiesta Bowl a season ago. I am sure Ohio State would have won that battle though in seeing who got the edge of going, and Iowa would have been left out.

Joey
Old 06-19-2003, 12:41 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The Big Ten Conference is in charge of making out the conference schedules. They have nothing to do with who OSU or anyone else lines up out of conference, so the Wisconsin game has nothing to do with the fact OSU has a million home games out of conference and overall this year. The Buckeyes WILL be going to Raleigh next year to return the favor to the Wolfpack and I do believe they will head out to Seattle sometime this decade. Just how the schedule fell this year. I don't like the idea of them having that many home games myself 33, just telling it how it goes. Although I can't find out for sure, I am pretty sure OSU goes to Madison this year too, due to scheduling difficulties catching up with the Big Ten suits, who have run out of scenarios since Penn St. joined nearly a decade ago. This also explains why OSU doesn't play Illinois this year for the first time since 1916 ( which burns the hell out of me) and why Penn St. doesn't play Michigan, another idiotic biproduct of scheduling difficulties resutling from Penn St.'s admittance.

Joey...

Before Penn St. came into the Big Ten, you only missed one conference foe a year, which further lessened the odds of two undefeated teams within the conference who didn't play head to head. The current format of tie breakers for the right to go to Pasedena stands like this...

1. Overall conference record
2. head to head matchup
3. who's been there last

So, according to Big Ten rules, Iowa would have went to Pasedena ( atleast before BCS, Sagarin, and Nokia cell phones had a say in things) because Ohio St. has been to Pasedena more recently then the Hawkeyes.

I LOVE the set up because it is hard nose and old fashion. Ohio St. finished tied for the Big Ten title TWICE in the 90s and didn't go to Pasedena both times because both Wisconsin and N'western hadn't been there in many many moons. I like it because it makes going to the Rose all that much harder and unique. When you go to Pasedena, it's a gift from God, well, atleast in my eyes anyway, but as we all know, I'm a little crazy on this topic...LOL.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:28 PM   #9
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

78-Are you sure "who's been there last" Is still a tiebreaker? I thought they scrapped that in favor of "overall record, incl. non-conference."

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 02:27 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

I could be wrong Kevin. I was confused myself earlier this year too because I too could have sworn it was changed like you said, but my brother insists otherwise, so blame him if it has indeed been changed...LOL. I tried looking it up, but can't find it anywhere. I'm pretty dumb with computers though.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:52 PM   #11
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Buckeye your brother is right. The Big 10 still goes by the who has been there last method as a tiebreaker. So like Buckeye said, Wisconsin and Northwestern both got nods to go over Ohio State because Ohio State had recently been to the Rose Bowl before they had been.

Joey
Old 06-19-2003, 03:56 PM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Thanks Joey. Where did you find that at for sure, cause I looked everywhere? I knew it was like that since the great Michigan- Ohio St. wars in the old days when the Big Ten would actually vote who was the better team in case of a tie ! Talk about politics, who hates who, and what can you do for me? It was complete and utter chaos.

And again, that is what makes it so great. By not holding non conference games with any meaning in determing who goes to Pasedena, the Big Ten gets to snub the other conferences, the NCAA, and the BCS, which as you guys know, I really love...LOL.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #13
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

Well, for one buckeye, I already knew the tiebreaking process for the Big 10 because I had read about it on this message board last year. Plus I found some articles on it via Google search, by typing in some key words. Sometimes it takes a while to find that kind of information through google, depending on what kind of key words you type in. But here is one link you can go to to find the info.....

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1997/...ews/news1.html

You will find about mid page the final tiebreaker for the Big 10 conference, and it should tell you a team whose absence is longest from the Rose Bowl goes to play in the Rose Bowl.

Joey
Old 06-19-2003, 05:45 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

This from bigten.org...

IA-OSU co-championship was first time two teams had completed the league schedule without a loss since 1973, when OSU and Michigan finished with 7-0-1 records. First time two teams have finished a season unbeaten and untied since 1943, when Purdue and Michigan each finished 6-0.

While Penn State's admission in 1993 changes the probablilities a bit, the likelihoods look good and rare.

Also, while on more than just the garbled side, this goes over the tie-breakers for the Big 10. It does actually appear that TOTAL winning percentage (aggravating 78 by including non-conf games) is a tie-breaker prior to recency of visitation.

The tie-breaker speaks to the BCS, but it means Rose Bowl, if you notice. It allows for a couple of changes the BCS requires by stating that whereever Big10 Champ would play (if Rose is Title Game and #1/2 aren't in Big10), but you can tell they mean just the Rose Bowl.

Dave
Old 06-19-2003, 08:37 PM   #15
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Dave...

To be honest with you, you have confused the hell out of me....LOL.

Joey claims that the last team to be there goes, while you say total winning percentage is the tie breaker if it gets that far. Joey's link is very dated. It is from Michigan's National Title year, the last year of the old regime before the BCS. Are you saying it is now done on the basis of overall winning pct.? I am pretty much not up to date on this one, because it hasn't happened it many moons, like you reported Dave. I could be wrong, and the BCS effectively changed the way it was done, however, I have the feeling that the Big Ten still reserves the right to form their own tie breaker in regards to this issue, which is based on last time visiting WHEN IT DOES NOT EFFECT THE NATIONAL TITLE GAME. Case in point, if Ohio St. had lost to, oh let's say Washington St. last year, and both they and Iowa finished tied with the best record in the Big Ten, didn't meet on the field, then I say Iowa would have went, because they haven't been to Pasedena since 1991, while the Bucks were there in 1997. Nevermind the fact that OSU would STILL HAVE A HIGHER OVERALL WINNING PERCENTAGE, DUE TO THE FACT OSU PLAYED ONE MORE GAME THEN IOWA. I have the feeling that despite OSU having the higher winning percentage overall, the fact that the Rose Bowl had no bearing on the Natl Title Game last year means the Big Ten has the right to use their own tie breaker, which is recency of visitation.

Ok, this is driving me nuts...LOL. If anyone can help us out, I'd love to hear it. If worse comes to worse, I'll call my brother up and ask him, he knows this stuff pretty well...LOL.