Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 02-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Is this the end of the world?

Dead satellite to hit Earth early March

By EILEEN SULLIVAN and PAMELA HESS , Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A dead U.S. spy satellite in a deteriorating orbit is expected to hit the Earth the first week of March, officials said Thursday.

It is not known where on Earth the satellite will hit. But officials familiar with the situation say about half of the 5,000-pound spacecraft is expected to survive its blazing descent through the atmosphere and will scatter debris — some of it potentially hazardous — over several hundred miles. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

The satellite is outfitted with thrusters, small engines used to position it in space, that contain the toxic rocket fuel hydrazine. Hydrazine can cause harm to anyone who contacts it.

U.S. officials do not want this equipment to fall into the wrong hands.

"The Chinese and the Russians spend an enormous amount of time trying to steal American technology," said John Pike, a defense and intelligence expert. "To have our most sophisticated radar intelligence satellite — have big pieces of it fall into their hands — would not be our preferred outcome."

Where it lands will be difficult to predict until the satellite descends to about 59 miles above the Earth and enters the atmosphere. It will then begin to burn up, with flares visible from the ground, said Ted Molczan, a Canadian satellite tracker. From that point on, he said, it will take about 30 minutes to fall.

Hot Damn!

We better get crackin' on those 20,000 replies.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

:lol:

It'll drop right on Marc's house when we're right at the end...
Old 02-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

It'll drop right on Marc's house when we're right at the end...
Yeah, Marc will be like Colonel Nicholson (played by Alec Guinness) at the end of the movie The Bridge on the River Kwai when he has to fall on the plunger at the last second to blow up the bridge.

MUST MAKE SURE POST #20,000 IS COMPLETE!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #4
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

Damn my old lady was trying to tell me something about this. I just tuned her out thinking she was reading the tabloids in the checkout isle at the grocery store again.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like she's settin' you up, Mush

Make sure you're not drunk when this thing comes down or she may hit you with a baseball bat from behind & tell you when you wake up: Told ya so...

Women have mysterious ways when it comes to gettin' a message across.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Great analogy...
Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 PM   #7
themush
Banned

You kiddin me? I ain't tellin her! Here's how it would go.

Me: Hey I saw on the sports site I go to an article about that satellite story you were telling me about. Pretty crazy stuff huh.

Her: I told you ssss..... wait you believe some strangers in cyberland and not me the woman you are going to marry etc etc etc.......
Old 02-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Tell her I'm a teacher and had to verify the situation with my expert analysis.

:thumbsup2:
Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Looks like there has been more news on this situation...

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Defense Department is planning to shoot down a broken spy satellite expected to hit the Earth in early March, The Associated Press has learned.

U.S. officials said Thursday that the option preferred by the Bush administration will be to fire a missile from a U.S. Navy cruiser, and shoot down the satellite before it enters Earth's atmosphere.

Associated Press

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/...topstories.RSS

I didn't know they had missles that could leave Earth's atmosphere.

If that's the case, why in the hell haven't we shot the moon down yet?

Damn useless extraterrestrial body. Blow that b-tich up!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #10
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

"Hey I saw on the sports site I go to an article about that satellite story you were telling me about. Pretty crazy stuff huh."

"I told you ssss..... wait you believe some strangers in cyberland and not me the woman you are going to marry" etc etc etc.......
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #11
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I've actually heard from some top scientists that firing a missile at this thing is not a good idea. The surface detonation won't cause enough damage. They say we need to somehow dig down inside the sattelite like with a drill, and then blow it up from the inside.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 AM   #12
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Navy missile hits dying spy satellite

‘It looks like the tank was hit,’ official tells NBC News

WASHINGTON - A missile launched from a Navy ship successfully struck a dying U.S. spy satellite passing 130 miles over the Pacific on Wednesday, a defense official said.

The USS Lake Erie, armed with an SM-3 missile designed to knock down incoming missiles — not orbiting satellites — launched the attack at 10:26 p.m. ET (0326 GMT Thursday), according to the Pentagon. It hit the satellite as the spacecraft traveled at more than 17,000 mph (27,000 kilometers per hour).

Because the satellite was orbiting at a relatively low altitude at the time it was hit by the missile, debris will begin to re-enter the Earth's atmosphere immediately, the Pentagon statement said.

"Nearly all of the debris will burn up on re-entry within 24-48 hours and the remaining debris should re-enter within 40 days," it said.

The use of the Navy missile amounted to an unprecedented use of components of the Pentagon's missile defense system, designed to shoot down hostile ballistic missiles in flight — not kill satellites.

The goal in this first-of-its-kind mission for the Navy was not just to hit the satellite but to obliterate a tank aboard the spacecraft carrying 1,000 pounds of a toxic fuel called hydrazine.

"It looks like the tank was hit," a U.S. official told NBC News. "It is still going to take some more analysis" to determine what happened to the fuel, but early indications were positive, the official said.

Well, I guess we'll have to wait to see if what they say is true...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Pretty good shooting, IMO. I'm happy that this was successful.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #14
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

I can't even fathom how you assume hitting something moving at more than 17,000 mph, let alone actually going out & hitting it. Staggering

I just hope they got that tank...
Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #15
themush
Banned

Here's the video.

Boom