Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Marc...a suggestion...don't explode here...

Marc...

I understand your frustration at the amount of discord in the pick em set up from us, but I believe the system is completely fine with one exception, the unbalance number of teams from week to week from one region and/or conference. Ten games are fine. The tie breaker is fine. The " I woulda picked" bullcrap is bogus, and I agree with you on it. However, with about 2 to even 3 more weeks of non-conference play still left, I think an effort should be made to represent a wide range of regions and conferences. With all the ACC games on week two's pick em, I was lost. Sure, a week of all Big Ten games would be fine by me, but unfair to the others. Just like a week of all SEC games would be much easier for Joey.

I hope this isn't too much to ask or I am stepping on anyone's toes, including yours Marc. I appreciate the pick em contest. It's fun and going well, no matter how bad I do. I think you are trying to pick the " best games" by the media's perception Marc, which is the problem here. And when conference play starts, I wouldn't mind seeing a game from each division I-A conference on the pick em contest. Now that would be really fair. I don't think the fact that some of the games may not be as glamourous as others will deter anyone on the boards from joining in here. Seems to be a pretty knowledgable bunch who enjoy all the games overall.

Thanks Marc for the ear.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:03 AM   #2
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

The way I see it, other than the PSU/BC game, and inasmuch as NO ONE would have picked SDSU to give OSU a game, there were two Big Ten games worthy of possible inclusion last week: Air Force vs. Northwestern, and Bowling Green vs. Purdue.

Now, remember, Marc is NOT a Big Ten guy, and the only reasons I could have foretold of those games being good and interesting is because I (as well as you Buckeye), AM a Big Ten/MAC guy. If Buckeye or myself are picking the ten games, we are probably going to miss ones that would be good, (CAL-CSU?) because they involve teams in conferences we may not follow too closely, therefore we are not aware that the Rice/North Texas (hypothetical) game should be close.

In short, I think that you are sort of asking Marc to do more research than he can really be expected to do, given his myriad responsibilities

Now, I already suggested there be fewer throwaway games (FSU/MD, Tennessee/Marshall), something that would only take a quick look at any USA Today, where they print all Div. IA lines.

But Marc, these are suggestions, not criticisms. And we make these suggestions 'cause the pick 'em contest is so much fun. I bet I'm not the only one dashing to my computer multiple times each saturday going, "Okay, I just won game X! Now, if this and this happen, I'll be in the top 3! But if this and this happen I will slide down to the middle of the pack, and Jesus Christ, don't let this and THIS happen..."

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-09-2003, 10:29 AM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Kevin...

I disagree and here's why...

Bowling Green vs. Purdue
Washington St. vs. Notre Dame

2 games, decided by blood, sweat, and tears this past weekend, between a MAC, Big Ten, Pac Ten,and independant that were EXPECTED to be very close. Before I get called out on BGSU, they were 9-3 last year and are expected to contend for the MAC title with N. Illinois, atleast IMO, so a close game between them and the consistantly " our games are decided in the final second" Boilermakers was a good game to get in on the contest.

I honestly don't think it takes that much time to pick 10 games between reasonably good teams that would represent all regions and conferences. In fact, here's some suggestions for this week, that I think are good...

Arkansas vs. Texas........SEC vs. Big 12
Colorado vs. Wash. St...Big 12 vs. Pac 10
Illinois vs. UCLA.............Big 10 vs. Pac 10
Marshall vs. Toledo........MAC vs. MAC
Wake Forest vs. Purdue. ACC vs. Big 10
Cincy vs. W. Virginia.......Conf USA vs. Big East
Georgia Tech vs. FSU.....ACC vs ACC
Notre Dame vs Mich.......Ind. vs Big 10
Syracuse vs Louisville....Big East vs Conf USA
Georgia vs. S. Carolina..SEC vs SEC

Ok, I timed myself looking that up...8 minutes, not bad. And perhaps we could give our " suggestions" before Marc makes the pick em so it can be even more balanced, but I think I did this fairly...

Big Ten........3
ACC.............3
SEC.............3
Pac Ten.......2
Big East.......2
Big 12..........2
Conf. USA....2
MAC.............2
Indep...........1

And I believe I got all the " big games" in there too.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:12 PM   #4
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Good suggestions guys. I like the balance of conferences there. The only huge game that was left off your list Buckeye is N.C. State @ Ohio State, and maybe Penn State @ Nebraska. With only 10 games to work with, it is tough to have an even conference balance in combination with involving all the huge games.

Joey
Old 09-09-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Buncha whiners. F'n know your college football, or not, and pick accordingly.

Dave (sitting pretty with 2!! points in second place, and tied with Doug for #1 record)
Old 09-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Joey...

In the early weeks, it would be tougher to get more of a balance of inter-conference play between big time teams due to the Big Ten and Pac Ten's traditional " we'll take on anyone attitude" compared to the SEC, ACC, and even the Big 12, despite those 3 conferences making some strides in playing more big time teams from foreign lands. PSU at Nebraska is one I left off, sure, but it would give the Big Ten more teams and that isn't fair. Just like OSU and NC State.

Dave...

I'm not sure if your comment is in jest or serious. If serious, I suggest a reality check. Do you have any clue how much I know about the Pittsburgh Steelers ( none of which I want to out of my own free will) just by living in Pittsburgh? To suggest that people who live in areas where most of the games are played on the contest ( Mike and Joey for all the ACC and SEC games in week 2, which numered 10 TOTAL TEAMS, HALF OF THE TEAMS ON THE CONTEST) don't have readily accessible info and inside info on games is not only laughable, it's ignorant. And not only is my idea fair, it's easy to do.

Know your f'in college football Dave...I agree...but week 2 was more like know your f'in ACC.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:49 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78

Dave...

I'm not sure if your comment is in jest or serious. If serious, I suggest a reality check. Do you have any clue how much I know about the Pittsburgh Steelers ( none of which I want to out of my own free will) just by living in Pittsburgh? To suggest that people who live in areas where most of the games are played on the contest ( Mike and Joey for all the ACC and SEC games in week 2, which numered 10 TOTAL TEAMS, HALF OF THE TEAMS ON THE CONTEST) don't have readily accessible info and inside info on games is not only laughable, it's ignorant. And not only is my idea fair, it's easy to do.

Know your f'in college football Dave...I agree...but week 2 was more like know your f'in ACC.
Not to sound too much like Purple, but cry me a
GD river, 78. I'm serious, and I don't need a reality check.

I live in Boston. Center of the anti-college football universe, where if you catch Boston College (that's the home team, in case you're not familiar) highlights on TV, you're not lucky, you've frozen over in hell (Okay, it's not THAT bad, but you get the gist) and if college football gets a page to itself in the Sunday Globe, it's because the Pats have a bye week... (this is NOT an exaggeration, btw)

Actually, having done an analysis, I think we need more Sun Belt, MAC, and WAC conference games. Current tally (78's right, week two is unbalanced, but I stand by my know your f'n college football and make your picks)in no special order)

ACC-7
SEC-9
Mountain West-3
Big 10-3
Big East-3
Big 12-5
Pac 10-5
C-USA-4
MAC-1
WAC-0
Sun Belt-0
Notre Dame-0

There's no "inside info" necessary for these contests, and for God's sake, man, there's no reward for winning. A virtual pat on the virtual back. Are you so wrapped up in your "Big 10 football is the only football" world that you can't stand to know a little something about what's going on in Florida and the just a little further west midwest??

You're on the internet, 78. Just click around and read some stuff from outside your region. Jeez.

What the heck, 78? Just pick a bunch of losers. Makes the meaningless win for Doug or me that much easier. (I'm soooo overtaking Ellis this week)

Dave
Old 09-09-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Dave...

I'd expect more from you here. Your breakdown shows the southern teams getting 16 spots out of 40 total so far !!!!!! I'm sure some of my Big Ten-midwest bias is in my request, I admit it, but my idea of getting more teams in from different regions makes things funnier IMO. Let's get more Sun Belt, WAC, and Mac games in, I agree ( and by the way...Boise St. vs Oregon St. better be on the contest for the games of 9-20...it will be a great one IMO).

And I understand we are on the net Dave, however it would still be nice to see some diversity on the boards, something you've been known to ***** and moan about in your lifetime.

So if you want to buy into the sexy high powered match ups that go on every week Dave like the mindless idiots of the world, be my guest ( OSU-Washington had not NEARLY the drama of the Akron-Kent game this year, despite the Rubber Bowl not having ESPN in their back pocket). I for one will be FOLLOWING ALL college football the best I can and would like to see more of it on the boards, even if it doesn't take place in the Midwest.

Ok, time to check on my grits and pick some cotton, I have some ACC/SEC predictions to get ready to tackle this week. I hope all the sexy tv games you pick Dave go well. I hope they are all like a Christmas tree, bright and shiny, as to mesmorize you Dave. You've seemed to stooped to that level here.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:28 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

So, following the 78 method...

we'd be picking the following ten games:

Boise State @ Idaho (Battle for All the World's Potatoes)
Eastern Michigan @ Akron (Battle for the right to stay in division 1-a)
Kansas @ Wyoming (can't forget the Big 12!!)
San Diego State @ UTEP (Those Aztecs can really play some ball)
SMU @ Baylor (Ponies v Bears a matchup you CAN'T miss!!)
Memphis @ So Miss (because, clearly, Memphis games are "sexy")
Rice @ Duke (gotta get an ACC team in, and we should all pick Duke in honor of Kevin, despite the fact that there are ten to twelve teams worse than Duke... Rice happens to be one of them)
Miss State @ Tulane (I hear they actually have sex on the field for this game, it's so not sexy, they have to sex it up...)
Oregon @ Arizona (first Pac 10 conference game of the year)
Virginia @ Western Michigan (given where Virginia has suddenly fallen to, this might go the MAC's way)

No one makes you play the game. So, if you don't like the games, don't play. I'm really not sure what the big deal is. I'm not that familiar with the board's regional makeup, but it seems eastern-midwest to eastern, with some southern flare from Joey and Mike and 33. This past weekend was unbalanced, as I admitted.

And, like I suggested... so what? These types of games play to the general audience. I'm neither offended nor put out by it, and have absolutely no idea why you are either, except for that holier-than-thou crap you spout from time to time about midwestern football being more football than what's played in Florida. (with which I agree, to some significant degree in most discussions, and totally not at all here)

I think it's pretty damn lame of you to suggest that because we're picking these "sexy" games (whatever the F that means) that's all we follow. I would just as soon suggest you shut your.... and continued picking losers... but, I won't. I'm a moderator, I have to be on good behavior, even if you are being an arrog[snip, snip]

Nothing wrong with grits if you like 'em, btw. I don't. Nothing wrong with picking cotton, either, if that's your skill. Damn elitist sh**head of you to suggest otherwise.

Dave
Old 09-10-2003, 12:27 AM   #10
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Jesus Christ almighty God! Stop it! :redhot:

Dave, I agree with you on this debate, but you're being such an amazing jack*** about it that you're driving me over to Buckeye's side, where the weather is a bit nicer.

You keep sort of mumbling half-hearted apolgies for "sounding like Purple." Well, let's take a closer look at that anology. Purple is occasionally intelligent, often amuzing and sorta clever, but it's not enough for him to give his opinions with good-natured wit. M ost of his posts are full of contempt, bile and a vitriolic mean-spirit that, frankly, can p*ss me off. So rather than sort of taking the high road, I respond to HIS posts with vitriol and p*ss and vinegar. That's not a good thing! When you get all bi*chy, you drag everyone down to your level. And that's exactly what's happening here: What could be an interesting debate has turned into a playground b**ch-slapping contest, because that's where you dragged it.

I'm not unsympathetic to your stresses, but if stress relief for you involves cussing everyone out (and who isn't occasionally re-energized that way?), there's a place for that: The ESPN Boards, where EVERYONE is a jack***.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 09-10-2003, 10:59 AM   #11
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

After all this, lets just let Nate and Marc run the game like they have been. They may have put more SEC/ACC games on the list, but I have not even been close to winning...lol. Sometimes knowing a team so well can work against you as you might overthink the game and the logic around it. I run a football pool at work, and a decent amount of the winners in the pool are those that really don't know one team from another oddly enough.

I am fine with the current format, and I also thought Buckeye and Kevin had good suggestions as well. As a fan of college football, I am willing to pick from any game, matchup, or region.

Joey
Old 09-11-2003, 03:38 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

After reading this thread, I'm closing it for obvious reasons.
Closed Thread