Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-23-2004, 08:18 PM   #16
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

The jockeying for draft position has been going on all week, but tomorrow we'll see some guys start to put their week of NFL coaching to work. No one likely to go in the top ten by today's estimates will be playing, but what's so great about the top ten draft picks anyway?

It's after that that all the good teams are drafting anyway, and it's those 11th through 32nd and beyond picks who will be playing in tomorrow's Senior Bowl.

I figure I'll check it out, being that there's no other football all weekend long... yikes.

Dave
Old 01-23-2004, 10:07 PM   #17
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it's kind of a down year for the Senior Bowl, guys like Roy Williams and Eli Manning (two of the top players in the draft) won't be going, along with a bunch of other potential first-rounders.

But I am excited, as always, about the draft. I normally don't buy draft books or publications (although I did purchase one from the Stevenson Scouting Service before the 2001 Draft), but I'm considering buying Kiper's, anyone know of a better source?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #18
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I've never bought Kiper's, so I don't know if it compares, but I liked several recent things that Pro Football Weekly produced (their NFL Season Preview, imo, was the best around; I liked the Prospect Scouting book they put out in August, too) and was considering snatching their draft book. It doesn't come out till mid-March, I think. Not sure when the other draft pubs start hitting the bookshelves, but I would imagine they'll be out shortly after the SB is over, if not before, right?

Dave
Old 01-23-2004, 10:26 PM   #19
The J
Barry Zito wannabe

The J is on a distinguished road

Dave, don't you think the Steelers should consider a tailback with their first pick? If either the Lions or Redskins pass on an RB, whichever of the dynamic duo of Steven Jackson/Kevin Jones is still available would be a good fit for them, IMO (especially Jones, seeing as he comes from Pennsylvania).

And does anyone have an opinion on San Diego taking a quarterback? Personally, I think they should keep Brees for at least another year. They're not going to be much better than 2003's squad, so why not give Brees a little more time to develop before labeling him a dud. I just don't think the Chargers should take a risk like that. Personally I think they should trade down and get someone like Tommie Harris or Roy Williams. The Chargers need help at almost every position(excluding QB and CB) so it really doesn't matter who they take.

Just a though here: Matt Mauck made a horrible decison declaring himself for the Draft. His team had just won a share of the National Championship, plus he had that dental career to pursue, yet he chose to come out, even though he's not even one of the top 5 QB's available. I understand he's older, but he still made a bad move. He'll be lucky to get picked in the 4th round.

P.S. I'm sure they'll be out like you said, after the SB.

Last edited by The J; 01-23-2004 at 10:34 PM.
The J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 07:13 PM   #20
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road

Three guys in my mind stood out in the Senior Bowl.

Phil Rivers - QB - North Carolina State
The Senior Bowl MVP looked great, throwing for 213 yards and 2 TDs. I wouldn't worry about the unusual arm motion too much. He seems to do fine with it.

Greg Jones - RB - Florida State
Was easily the best Running Back in the Game. Ran the ball only five times, but had 44 yards and two touchdowns. The knock on him is pass catching, but he's a great back for 1st and 2nd Down

Darnell Dockett - DT - Florida State
Seemed like he was in the backfield every play. Disrupted both the pass game and the run game. He will be a great second round pickup for any team. A good combine could even push him into the first round.
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:43 PM   #21
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I'm not terribly concerned about all the hubbub about Rivers' wierd delivery. If you recall, there was similar garbarge regarding David Carr's delivery. Didn't hurt his draft status one iota.

Dockett had a good week of practice, to boot. Not that the game means nothing, but he dominated practice (from everything I've read) the way he dominated the game.

I think, J, with the Steelers seriously contemplated rebuilding their HB position, that drafting a HB early is not out of the question. (Talk is that salary cap will make cutting Bettis a requirement, and Amos' performance makes his cut an inevitability.)

I understand why folks would think Mauck's coming out was a bad idea. He doesn't seem like a strong NFL candidate, really. That said, I've no beef with him trying now, because he has his degree. If he's fortunate enough to be drafted and signed to a minimum contract, that'll be $300,000 he wouldn't have had if he didn't try... He can always head to dental school after a year of being on a practice squad...

Dave
Old 01-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #22
mattyc
Grizzled Veteran

mattyc is on a distinguished road

Not sure what I want the Seahawks to go after in this draft. We improved our D in the last draft with guys like Trufant and Hamlin, but could still go with a bit more improvement. Also, another WR to put pressure on Koren and D-Jack wouldn't go astray.

Looking forward to it.
mattyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #23
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I know we have more pressing needs, but I'd like to see the Skins pick up Winslow at TE with the 5th pick. I think a RB will come through via free agency, so I am not really looking at the draft for one.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:40 PM   #24
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

I think a RB for Washington will come through Cincinnati. Hey Joe Gibbs, want Corey Dillion? I think a trade will be made between the two teams, possibly Dillion for the 'Skins 2nd Round Pick. Personally, I want the Bengals to trade Dillion and the 17th Pick for the 5th Pick so the Bengals can draft Sean Taylor. I have no idea what the chances are of that happening, I'd guess pretty low, but you can always hope.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:55 PM   #25
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Is Dillions stock that bad, that they would only get a second rounder for him?.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:52 PM   #26
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

It's hard to say. Teams are usually reluctant to give up first round picks, especially for an aging RB. New England could possibly make a move for him because they have two first round pick, but I doubt they will.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:14 PM   #27
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Dillon's stock is that bad, pimpbot.

I thought I read during Senior Bowl run-up that Dallas was willing to give up their fourth round pick, max.

Remember, Dillon has turned himself into a locker room issue. His talent, which can be high-level, seems to wax and wane with the moon and his mood. Also, how much longer will he be an NFL running back, nevermind productive? At seven years in the league, he's already twice the average RB career. And while he hasn't been injury-plagued, one never knows as he hits the age of 30.

If I were a GM for a team needing a RB, I think I'd
overpay for Kevan Barlow (SF has cap problems, their ability to match will be limited--he's a restricted free agent) and give up the 3rd round draft pick than trade for the aging Dillon.

And, if I couldn't pull that off, and I considered Dillon a stopgap till the 2005 draft, I'd wait for his cut from the team rather than trade anything valuable for him.

Maybe you can tell, I'm not a big Dillon fan.

Dave
Old 01-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #28
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Quote:
Originally posted by Pimpbot
I know we have more pressing needs, but I'd like to see the Skins pick up Winslow at TE with the 5th pick. I think a RB will come through via free agency, so I am not really looking at the draft for one.
Just going back to this. I saw today on ESPN, that Mel Kiper has Winslow going to the Skins with the 5th pick in his current mock draft.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:17 PM   #29
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Dillon's stock is that bad, pimpbot.

Maybe you can tell, I'm not a big Dillon fan.

Dave
I'm not either. I'd rather the Skins made a play for Staley. I guess with Rudi Johnson coming on strong last year, the Bengals could be looking at getting rid of Dillon quickly and cheaply come the off season.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:47 PM   #30
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave

I thought I read during Senior Bowl run-up that Dallas was willing to give up their fourth round pick, max.

Remember, Dillon has turned himself into a locker room issue. His talent, which can be high-level, seems to wax and wane with the moon and his mood. Also, how much longer will he be an NFL running back, nevermind productive? At seven years in the league, he's already twice the average RB career. And while he hasn't been injury-plagued, one never knows as he hits the age of 30.

Dave
Dallas saying they would give up a 4th Round Pick at most doesn't mean another team won't give up more, and it doesn't mean Dallas won't give up more. They aren't going to come out and tell them exactly how much they are willing to give up.

Parcells has been incredibly good at times of making potential clubhouse cancers into stars. Look at Terry Glenn. He plays his best football for Parcells, and is more of a leader then a cancer with Dallas.