Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-05-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

dhav8706 is on a distinguished road
Default Maurice Clarett

Maurice Clarett has been declared by a judge eligible for the NFL Draft.

Should he enter the NFL?

Where do you think he should be drafted?

Where do you think he will be drafted?
dhav8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #2
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think he should enter the NFL Draft. The injury question and the fact that he hasn't played a game of football in two years. If he can go back to Ohio State and stay healthy he will jump to a Top 20 pick.

I think if he does enter the NFL he should be a second round pick, probably late second round. He's kinda like Fred Taylor in the sense of him being injured all the time. I think if he is healthy he will be a very good RB, but I don't know how often he will be healthy.

I think he will be drafted from anywhere between the 32nd pick to the Patriots to the 96th pick to New England. They need a RB and have enough draft picks to take a risk. I think the most likely destination for him will be New England with the 57th pick.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I think he should stay in school, too, dhav.

However, questions about this "benefactor" and his gambling habits will force him into the draft, appeal notwithstanding.

I think he'll actually miss the regular entry draft, but they'll put him in the supplemental draft, which, if memory serves, is in July.

I don't think NE is a good bet for taking him, regardless of where. The Pats tend to want guys whose first priority in the world aside from their family, and occasionally their faith, is football. The Three Fs. I think that Clarett's first priority is clearly Clarett, and for that reason, the Pats will walk right on by.

HOWEVER, depending on Clarett's workouts in the run-up to the draft, Dallas isn't beyond taking a chance. That said, I would not be at all surprised if he went undrafted, based on his health (or lack of), rust, personal issues, and for the fact that he's busting down a door he's not really ready to enter...

Dave
Old 02-06-2004, 01:15 AM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
That said, I would not be at all surprised if he went undrafted, based on his health (or lack of), rust, personal issues, and for the fact that he's busting down a door he's not really ready to enter...

Dave
No way does he go undrafted. I'd bet any amount of money.

I don't think it's likely he will be taken in the first two rounds, but once we get into the fifth round and beyond...well, do you think not one out of 32 owners is willing to gamble on a very talented running back? Is it really much of a gamble in the sixth round or beyond, anyway? Not one owner will remember passing up Randy Moss?

He'll get picked, I guarantee it. He may be picked very, very low, but he will get picked.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:25 AM   #5
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

I wouldnt want to risk a pick on him. The lack of football and his attitude problems would scare me off.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I'd imagine he'd wind up as a second round pick. He has too much talent for people to look at rust and durability. He was a freshman in college, some guys grow into that.

Jones, Perry and Jackson will get drafted, then Clarett. Greg Jones? Tatum Bell? Nah, **** that. You gotta take Clarett over the two of them. I don't think New England/Dallas/Washington or any of the obvious need a running back teams takes Clarett just because he isn't going to step in and run consistently next season.

I think he should come out just because he has nowhere to go. Ohio State has shown that they don't give a damn about him and who's to say that he's going to even play.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
dhav8706
Grizzled Veteran

Greg Jones right now is ahead of Maurice Clarett of my board. He looked unbelievable in the Senior Bowl, and with a good 40 time he could go high. He needs to work on his hands an blocking though to be an all around star.

Dallas I think would be a good fit for Clarett as well. Pacells will get his focus on football, and if he stays healthy, he could run for a lot of yeards in that offense.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:53 PM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'm on the side of the NFL.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
jonnyboone71923
Grizzled Veteran

jonnyboone71923 is on a distinguished road

Clarett should stay in school. He is a good running back, but in today's NFL that just isn't good enough. He will not prove to be the LeBron James of football. Look at Willis Magahee. He was awesome in college, now look at him.
jonnyboone71923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:30 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Look at Willis McGahee and his BLOWN OUT KNEE THAT HE IS HEALING??? Give McGahee a chance to at least PLAY in the NFL before you label him a bust.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:49 PM   #11
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

No high school player or freshman in college can take the pain of a big nfl lb. That's why they shouldn't have young people in it.

let me draw it up for you...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help.jpg (27.9 KB, 36 views)
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #12
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Clarrett's also opening himself up to what Clinton Portis is currently facing. Lousy second round money. Portis is only scheduled to make under $400,000 dollars this year.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:11 PM   #13
jonnyboone71923
Grizzled Veteran

jonnyboone71923 is on a distinguished road

I don't think that Willis is a bust. I am just stating that an injured player entering the NFL is making an uphill battle for himself. I will gladly cheer for McGahee should he get his career off the ground.
jonnyboone71923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Ellis, your drawing is cute, but please keep in mind, Clarett would only be coming in one year earlier than they originally allowed. It's not like he's an 18-year-old.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:33 AM   #15
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

It's a risk/reward situation for Clarett.

IF he goes to the NFL...
He is guaranteed some money as a draft pick but nowhere near what he could get as a 1st round pick.

IF he goes back to Ohio State...
He could prove he's still a great player and maybe take home to Heisman. That would essentially make him a 1st round pick.

Or he could prove to be bust and end up in the CFL or AFL trying to make it big.