Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 03-09-2001, 02:37 PM   #1
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

coach tom is on a distinguished road

Ok, three full weeks down. Still have a team (although its down to eight). I am wondering though, is the current generation so lazy and spoiled that any discipline is too much?

I have a player who supposedly quit, but hasn't told me yet. At the last practice he attended he was late. The team rule is that you run 0.5 miles and stretch out before you can join in on the drills/practice, no matter what time you get there. He told me no. Then he "sassed" back at me when I told him I was serious. It was about 30 degrees that day, and we are outside. He came to practice in shorts and a t-shirt, and spent most of his time telling us how cold he was. During one of the harder drills he and a friend decided to goof around. I warned them to stop then when they continued, and even got rude to other team members, I made them do crunches and push-ups. When the player refused (that's three times) I stopped practice and told him to leave. He again told me no. After about ten minutes I finally "convinced" him to leave.

This attitude seems to be prevelant among the many players I come across now (just not quite as blatant). Considering that only one player on my team has a job, and they all have decent cars and cell phones, am I wrong to think that kids today are just so spoiled that they cannot appreciate the need for self-discipline, a work ethic and respect for coaches/teachers/parents/elders?

But hey, I still have a team. We begin practice 6 days a week on Monday, and challenge matches for positions have just begun. All in all I think we have a shot to go to the national tournament in May. Only time will tell...
Old 03-09-2001, 03:45 PM   #2
tennis4you

tennis4you is on a distinguished road
Default me me me

Man, I miss being part of a team. The closet I get of that is the summer league I play in which has a big competition all summer. I will join your team, and I will show them what it is like to be dedicated!!! I will go 4-5 hours a day non stop, and I will think eat and dream about my game and my opponent's on my time away from the court. It would be just like my good old days 5 years ago. I miss them!!!

Best of luck with your team!!!
tennis4you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 09:18 AM   #3
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

Default If you only carried 12 credits at OCC...

You're in Scott! Even if I have to forfeit every match because I use you, its worth the risk.

I just don't know why it's so hard to get any of them to dedicate to the sport and team. I am not asking for them to live, eat and breath tennis, but at least give me the two hours I set aside for practice.

We just started "hell weeks". Yesterday's practice was a big zero. No one could hit, a few didn't even pay attention to the drills. And they wonder why they are not improving.

I have a solid one thru three, then the talent drops way off. I'm hoping that these three guys are enough to get me the four points I need to win matches. And I'm praying that no other college is stacked. Looks like we may go 5-5 for the season. Not bad, but not enough to qualify to go to Tyler, TX for the nationals.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for more of my adventures in Rugrats, er college tennis land...
Old 03-13-2001, 05:18 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Tom, just wanted to thow in my "congratulations" and thanks for the update.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 06:59 PM   #5
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

Oh, that's tough man. Yeah, most kids in the US are spoiled and don't appreciate much. They need to get a solid work ethic.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2001, 08:27 PM   #6
Rick Dogg
All-Star Player

Rick Dogg is on a distinguished road

What college do you coach? Also, I think that most of the kids in America are respectful, it is just the few that arent, that drive us crazy. Parents need to step up and discipline their kids a lot more.
You should just cut the players that are bad influences, and if he is on scholarship, take that away.

--Captain Hook
Rick Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2001, 01:10 PM   #7
coach tom
Grizzled Veteran

Default Wow, you guys have some interesting thoughts...

Since I coach at Ocean County College, in Toms River, NJ, we are a junior college. That means no scholarships. Hell, kids on scholarship are much better behaved because they know at any time they can lose the money if they screw up.

I am thinking of cutting at least one, but I only have 9 players on the team. One is academically ineligible, so in reality I have 8. You need 6 to play a match at full strength, and I already know that one or two players cannot attend every single match. So I'm already at only one extra, and that doesn't account for the inevitable injury that occurs.

To me its all about learning that when you are on your own and responsible for your own actions you have to change your attitude and posture. Since all of these kids live at home, and again, only a few of them have jobs, they still think that they can be like they were in high school. One of my good players talked to my problem child and said that my "problem child" did not like the discipline (his quote was "I don't have to put up with that s__t") and that he didn't have to prove anything to anyone. Well, this kids in for a rude awakening at that first real job, or even when he goes to a real college (four year school). How many of us could go to our boss and say, "I don't have to prove anything to you or the company." Most of my players are beginning to understand my philosophy and why I do the things I do, and for the most part have changed drastically since day one. A good example is the player at last nights practice who after 2.5 hours asked me to stay longer so he could work on developing his ground strokes. This after working the guys like dogs for the previous 2.5 hours.

I was raised with a strong work ethic, and was always taught to respect my elders, especially those who are in positions where I need to learn more or I don't have the abilities yet. Most of these kids, at least here in Ocean County, seem to think that coaches, teachers and even parents need to earn the respect of their kids, not vice versa. Modern parenting magazines and Oprah always tout this ludicrous line of thinking, and that is the epidemic. Or at least my epidemic. Parents no longer tell their kids no, and feel like they have to justify everything to them. Usually when a parent, teacher or coach says no or enforces some discipline, its based on a previous experience, is justified and will benefit the kid in the long run. Kids don't need to know that though, and at best need to only be told that. When parents start trying to justify things, especially teens, the teen can easily point to things that may not be relevant to him/her (at least now) and they just use it to do whatever they want. You know, I don't condone beating your kids till they are seriously hurt, but I am sure those in my generation know that the fear of the belt from a father or mother when we were young if we screwed up or were disrespectful went a long way to helping us get our standards and morals right. Now, parents don't even think about it, and even teach their kids to report them if they do it.

Ok, I really got off the subject. Sorry. I am looking to cut one kid to set an example. I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt me...